WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
First just want to say this is my first post, although I've been reading on this forum for almost a year!
Anyway, wanted to get some opinions on the hands of the Citizen BM6400-00E. I LOVE everything about this watch except the hands. I think they are to small and skinny. I really like the bold numbers and markers and excellent lume. (I am a lume freak.) So I would think the hands lume would die out way before the numbers and markers because they are so skinny and small. I current have the Citizen BN0000-04H, which I really like. My favorite thing about it is the excellent lume and the hands. I'm just kinda tired of the total 'diver' look. I like the lume and readability of divers watches. I wish the BM6400-00E had hands more like this! I would buy it in a second. Lume is a big thing for me, and I know from these forums that Seiko tends to be king in this area, but they are automatics, which isn't for me. So I'm looking for any and all opinions. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
First, welcome aboard Mr. Tanna, We don't get that many famous vegas PI's around these parts. ;-)

As for the watch, have you handled it in person? If you haven't consider giving it a try. I have handled it several times and really don't thing that the hands are small or undersized at all. The watch is a good size (it is not small like most classic military style watches) and the hands are proportional to the watch's size.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Welcome, dantana! I wouldn't let the hands keep you from trying this one out. It's a cool watch and several WUS members have given it very high marks. As for the lume, it's really the thickness of the application that will determine how long it glows. So there's no reason to suspect that the hands will fade quicker than the dial just because they're narrow. The BM6400-00E is clearly inspired by military watch designs, and they generally have long, thin hands, not the fatter ones that we see on divers. I say go for it! :-!

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I love this watch and I would recommend to anyone. I agree, when I first got this one, I thought the hands could be a little wider. But now I don't really think about it. I think this provides more attention to the numbers. The lume lasts for many hours, at least 4-5, maybe longer. The lume on the hands lasts as long as that on the numbers. I have never noticed the hands going blank before the numbers.

A few things to point out that you won't notice from the online pictures. First the lugs are 21mm. Second, the crystal has a bevel around the edge and is actually raised a little above the bezel. Like Gabe said, it is a good size watch, 45mm including the crown. Also the stock strap has these silver grommet looking things for the holes and a silver keeper. Gives an industrial look to the watch which is not really characteristic of a pilot/military.

PS The dial is glossy, jet black. I keep getting these washed out granular pictures from my little camera.

·
11,755 Posts
Lume is good on the hands and dial:

I have thought the minute hand looked a little skinny before, but I got over it. Great watch! I have both the nylon and stainless band for mine.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
for sure a great one's.......
i bought one and then i sold it.....
but after only a week i had to buy another one for me.....
a good choice...
200m WR...
screwed crown and case back...
good lume...
and eco drive...
you don't need to wear it to have the spring charged...
just let the watch stay under the light to have it well charged......
:-!

·
Registered
155 Posts
My St. Moritz Atlas has a very similar look, it's a little smaller, though. It took a little getting used to the skinnier hands (compared to divers) but now I really like them. They remind me of Rolex mercedes hands. The biggest factor to me as far as readablility is the contrast between the hands and dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I love this watch as well and have seen it several times. I have to agree with you though, I just wish the hands were a little thicker! For me it just does not work, the numbers are large and thick but the hands just a tad to thin for me. I can understand why everyone likes it though, I love the simplicity of the design!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First I just want to say thanks to all for the warm welcomes, excellent insight and feedback, and pics! It's great to know there are others out there as into watches as I am. I had no idea this watch had such a great looking band. I'm surprised Citizen doesn't somehow picture that band for this watch on their website. The band is fantastic! Also, now I'm thinking, if Citizen went and made the hands exactly how I wanted, when I saw it, I would probably want them to put it back the way they originally had them. lol. I have come to the conclusion that I must have this watch and just ordered from Princeton watches (where I got my first eco-drive). Should have in a few days... can't wait! :-!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome!

One thing I might add is this. If you are used to the bigger hands and over all proportions of a diver, it might take a little getting used to the thinner hands on the BM6400. I have worn divers nearly exclusively for years (25-30) until I picked up a BM6400 myself. Like you, I got it for something different, something not a diver style. But the beauty of the BM6400 is the water resistance, screw down crown, screw down case back, excellent lume, and nice styling. Eco-drive is also a bonus for me. I have mine on a Nato and it's great.

I can tell you, you will quickly get over it's proportions as they are like Isthmus said, well done. They are perfectly fine to my eyes.

Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
For someone who is not familiar with Citizen's Eco-Drive, please enlighten me. Eco-Drive watches do not run on batteries, right? It is solar powered, right? I know some have a secondary battery, do these need changing?

Also, for those who own this watch, how accurate is it?

I really like the look of this watch and might pick one up. They have it on the Bay for $110!!

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
For someone who is not familiar with Citizen's Eco-Drive, please enlighten me. Eco-Drive watches do not run on batteries, right? It is solar powered, right? I know some have a secondary battery, do these need changing?

Also, for those who own this watch, how accurate is it?

I really like the look of this watch and might pick one up. They have it on the Bay for $110!!

Thanks!
Think of it as solar charged, not powered. There is a rechargable battery that is charged by a small solar panel. With this watch, you can actually see the panel under the dial when the sun hits the dial at the right angle. Citizen claims the battery does not have to be replaced "for the life of the watch", but nobody seems to know how long that is. I think a conservative estimate is 10 years, but could be longer dependent on use. From what I have read on these forums is that you don't want to completely discharge the battery which will shorten the life of the battery. Most EcoDrives have a battery charge of 6 months, but you don't want to keep this one stored in the drawer. It is best to keep exposed to daylight to constantly top off the charge on the battery.

It is a quartz watch with the standard accuracy of 15 seconds per month.

Don't know about the eBay offer, but Princetonwatches sells the strap version for $105 and they are an AD. You even get a free pocket knife which I use for popping out spring bars.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/BM6400-00E.asp

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lume is good on the hands and dial:

I have thought the minute hand looked a little skinny before, but I got over it. Great watch! I have both the nylon and stainless band for mine.

Gary, Just curious.... which band do you like better?

·
11,755 Posts
Gary, Just curious.... which band do you like better?
I actually like the stainless better, the canvas strap is nice and I will use it on something else. I really loved the look at the store of the strap, I am just more of a bracelet guy I guess.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Think of it as solar charged, not powered. There is a rechargable battery that is charged by a small solar panel. With this watch, you can actually see the panel under the dial when the sun hits the dial at the right angle. Citizen claims the battery does not have to be replaced "for the life of the watch", but nobody seems to know how long that is. I think a conservative estimate is 10 years, but could be longer dependent on use. From what I have read on these forums is that you don't want to completely discharge the battery which will shorten the life of the battery. Most EcoDrives have a battery charge of 6 months, but you don't want to keep this one stored in the drawer. It is best to keep exposed to daylight to constantly top off the charge on the battery.

It is a quartz watch with the standard accuracy of 15 seconds per month.

Don't know about the eBay offer, but Princetonwatches sells the strap version for $105 and they are an AD. You even get a free pocket knife which I use for popping out spring bars.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/BM6400-00E.asp
:thanks :-!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
hi,
this is my first post in the citizen/seiko forum, but i wanted to vouch for both the watch and the vendor.
i purchased the BM6400-00E after seeing it on WUS (damn your eyes!) and it is a great watch. the look is simple yet strong, the lume is bright for several hours and more than sufficient overnight. it is my first real watch with lume, and i didn't think i would like it, as my main watch (beater) is a timex explorer with Indiglo, all aside indiglo is a great tech.
the hands are not monsters like a dive watch, but a good fit for this face.
as mentioned before the glass is beveled, which gives a slight magnification to the internal bezel.
the band is industrial looking with the brushed stainless eyeholes, but comfortable and holds well. the only thing is i sometimes have a problem slipping the band in through the two keepers. i think it is attributable to user error, rather than the watch itself.
all and all it is a great, and seemingly durable watch.

princeton delivered it quickly, with the swiss army pocket knife, for 105.
hard to beat!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
hi,
this is my first post in the citizen/seiko forum, but i wanted to vouch for both the watch and the vendor.
i purchased the BM6400-00E after seeing it on WUS (damn your eyes!) and it is a great watch. the look is simple yet strong, the lume is bright for several hours and more than sufficient overnight. it is my first real watch with lume, and i didn't think i would like it, as my main watch (beater) is a timex explorer with Indiglo, all aside indiglo is a great tech.
the hands are not monsters like a dive watch, but a good fit for this face.
as mentioned before the glass is beveled, which gives a slight magnification to the internal bezel.
the band is industrial looking with the brushed stainless eyeholes, but comfortable and holds well. the only thing is i sometimes have a problem slipping the band in through the two keepers. i think it is attributable to user error, rather than the watch itself.
all and all it is a great, and seemingly durable watch.

princeton delivered it quickly, with the swiss army pocket knife, for 105.
hard to beat!
i agree.........
well done....

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
As others have mentioned, this is an incredible watch for the money..

Soild end links, screwed links on the bracelet, and a beautiful finish to the case. For a relatively modest sum, its a winner, imo. The lumes great, too...

You cannot go wrong with this watch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts