WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Citizen watches (I own 3, and number 4 is on the way…) and part of the reason is that I feel like they consistently hit above their weight class with the attention to detail on their designs.

My favorite example is my Stiletto dress watch. It is the simplest dial in my collection, but I love how the hour hand comes within a whisker of touching the hour indices, and how they detailed the “guilloche” dial with circumferential rings through the indices, breaking up the radiating pattern, and also how the minute hand touches just barely past the edge.

These little details, on a dial that is so dark almost no one will ever see them, is why I appreciate Citizen for what they do at their price point.
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Watch Analog watch White Rectangle Clock

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have far more expensive watches where it’s obvious that the manufacturer is using a common set of hands across the line, and they aren’t so gracefully positioned on every model, depending on variances in the indices.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then there’s my chronograph. Despite its legibility problems, it’s a stunner. Slender hands so as to minimally block the chrono subdials, metallic indices that are clearly matched to the design of the hands, and the little pop of yellow against the black and gray on the incredibly slender chrono seconds.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Material property

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Clock

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
So much done so well at such a good price with this one…

Watch Analog watch White Clock Material property

·
Premium Member
Casio, Citizen, Seiko, Victorinox, …
778 Posts
I have more Citizens than I can count, and the dial design and details are one of the main reasons I keep adding more and more to my collection.
On the dot!

Citizen knows how to do busy dials. (and also not so busy dials)

Reactions: aafanatic

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You assume that these “details “that you appreciate so much are intentional by Citizen. Most likely they’re just simply the end products of the robotic mass production process. You just happen to like the way it looks, but I don’t think anyone at Citizen was purposefully designing it that way. Ghost in the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Casio, Citizen, Seiko, Victorinox, …
778 Posts
You assume that these “details “that you appreciate so much are intentional by Citizen. Most likely they’re just simply the end products of the robotic mass production process. You just happen to like the way it looks, but I don’t think anyone at Citizen was purposefully designing it that way. Ghost in the machine.

Sound a bit negative?
I really don't know who or what designed the watches (or parts thereof) and I do not want to guess neither. One thing I do know is "If it works, it works".

• Love
Reactions: aafanatic

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Maybe so. But if so their ghost in the machine is consistently good with getting all the little details right, and everything looking intentional. Like I said, I’ve had more expensive, Swiss Made, watches, where they did things like obviously just use the hands from another similar model to save costs.

So that ghost in the machine is giving me some really great detailed quality for honestly not a lot of money. Works for me!

·
Registered
580 Posts

m

Most dials a designed via a cad machine
No more ghosts involved and quality control now at all watch manufacturers is legendary if it's a new watch the dial is how it was designed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Love this thread. Fully agree with the discussion starter.
I think that while computer-driven machines and CAD at the production stage help a lot with consistency and meeting tight tolerances – ultimately there are real persons behind it all at the initial stage of conception, design, and production.

And yes, I also very much appreciate Citizen’s attention to detail, especially at the price points of their watches. A case in point is my Promaster Tough – I read reviews in which the reviewers complained about the different lume colour of the minute hand, which is bluish instead of greeinish like all other lumed components on the dial. Evidently, not everyone is able to appreciate that having a different colour lume on the the minute hand makes for a much more positive reading in darkness. I, for one, can surely appreciate that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts