WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, this is my first review so I apologize if there are any inconsistencies or errors. Please feel free to correct me if I state something wrong about the watch. I just received the Citizen Grand Classic and could not be happier with my purchase. I bought it off of Amazon for $670 before tax (it was discounted). The watch came packaged in a nice Citizen Signature leather box and also came with a lengthy 5 year Citizen warranty. I feel like if this watch had a Swiss brand name on the dial it would easily be 2-3 times worth what it actually is. Now, on to the review.

Box Eyewear Perfume Brand

Movement: The Grand Classic houses the new Miyota 9010 movement which is 24 jewels, has a frequency of 28,000vph, and 42 hours of power reserve. I can't comment on the accuracy yet since I haven't broken in the movement, but will report back with an update after experimenting with positioning and comparing its accuracy to an atomic clock. It should be noted that many owners have been reporting superb accuracy (+ or - 3s per week) and some are touting this as a potentially legendary movement. The movement itself is beautifully decorated, and there is a nicely engraved Citizen "Signature" logo on the rotor.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand

Case Features: The case is very well constructed and has a nice wrist presence for a sporty dress watch at 42mm in diameter, and the sapphire crystal is double AR coated so it looks as if you are peering right into the dial. Try as I might, I couldn't find any reflections off of the crystal, even under intense light. Everything is beautifully brushed and polished and I could find no inconsistencies or marks on the case. The case also features a date complication and is 100m WR (although no screw down crown). The crown is really solid with a buttery smooth winding, and no wobbliness while pulling it out and adjusting the date and time. While some people might be put off by the fact that the crown isn't signed, it doesn't really bother me considering how much watch you are already getting for the price. Another feature that is nice is the lume that Citizen applied to the hands and around the indices. It has that strong, cool blue Citizen glow, and is really nice in conjunction with the beautiful blued hands. The exhibition case back also features a sapphire crystal, and has a really interesting coin edge around the crystal itself. I think this adds a nice touch and spruces up the back of the watch.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Black Blue Light Darkness Night

Bracelet: The bracelet is very well constructed and features a nice combination of polished and brushed links and a dual push button deployment clasp that blends nicely into the bracelet. The clasp itself is made out of forged steel, and feels very sturdy with no wobble or squeaking at all. The end links are solid and fit so nicely between the lugs that the bracelet actually looks like it is built into the watch itself! My two big pet peeves with bracelets are spaces between end links and lugs, and squeaking. This watch does not have any of those annoying issues.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
Architecture Scale model Metal

Summary: I am more than happy with this purchase and I can't believe this it is available for such a great price. I think Citizen really hit it out of the park with this model. Who knows, maybe in the future it will become a legendary timepiece within the watch community. I hope you enjoyed the review, and please feel free to ask me any questions about the watch or let me know if I missed any details. Thanks!

-Ian

Premium Member
Something ordinary
Well done with the review and the pictures, and congrats on the new Citizen. I look forward to the many posts to come!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done with the review and the pictures, and congrats on the new Citizen. I look forward to the many posts to come!
Wonderful review. Thanks for documenting you experience. Now I just have to bookmark it so I can thrown it down when someone asks about the watch!
Thanks guys! And thanks again for your input in helping my decision between this and the SARB.

Registered
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the great write up and lovely pictures.:-!

Can you say anything about the screwed in crown guards ?

Specifically - are the crown guards held in place by the screws or are the crown guards part of the case and the screws are just there for decoration ?

Reactions: IanGrey

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please also get the SARB033 and write a review!
I still plan to get the SARB033 when money permits. It is definitely a beauty. Thanks for the interest! :)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the great write up and lovely pictures.:-!

Can you say anything about the screwed in crown guards ?

Specifically - are the crown guards held in place by the screws or are the crown guards part of the case and the screws are just there for decoration ?
Thank you! Great question. As far as I can tell, they appeared to be held down by the screws. It's kind of difficult to tell because the top part of the crown guard blends in really smoothly with the case, but the sides of the crown guard appear to be a separate piece. If I can get close enough to snap a photo I'll try to do so.

Registered
Lovely watch. Thanks for your review.

Registered
Very well done review. A couple of wrist shots and pics of the crown would have made it even better. Congrats on a lovely pc.

Registered
Thank you for your excellent review of the Citizen Men's NB0040-58A The Signature Collection Grand Classic Automatic Watch. I purchased mine in early January and have enjoyed it for the past two months.

I agree with most of your review and must comment on a few items.

"Try as I might, I couldn't find any reflections off of the crystal, even under intense light." You actually can find reflections but you have to work at it. The reflections are insignificant and there is no time under any light that you can not clearly see the dial and read the time. This is very impressive.

"It should be noted that many owners have been reporting superb accuracy (+ or - 3s per week)"….. I read these reports too before making my purchase and in fact it was one of the reasons I was so attracted to this automatic watch. Here is where I was disappointed. My watch consistently gains approximately 11-12 seconds per day and it does not matter what position it is in at night. It turns out that this is well within the stated specifications for the Miyota 9010 movement (-10 to +30 seconds) but never-the-less, potential buyers should not be under the false impression that every specimen will adhere to near COSC like accuracy.

I am going to attach a series of pictures to illustrate one other characteristic of this beautiful watch. Almost every picture I have seen on-line has shown the beautiful and classy blue color of the hands. Well, this is position and lighting dependent and quite variable. In fact, with some positions relating to the angle and quality of the light, the "classy blue color" looks instead like decorative tinsel or the blue just changes to a gray. Hate to say that but it is true.

Looking at the attached pictures, you will also note that you never do see a reflection off the crystal and it appears that there is none. It is although you could just reach in and touch the dial.

I don't want anyone to think that I am being over critical. I do in fact love this watch and wear it more than any others in my collection. It is worth every penny and as some have stated, probably worth much more than it sells for. (and I got mine from an AD at an incredible price so no complaint there).

Again, Kudos on a great review of a great watch.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your excellent review of the Citizen Men's NB0040-58A The Signature Collection Grand Classic Automatic Watch. I purchased mine in early January and have enjoyed it for the past two months.

I agree with most of your review and must comment on a few items.

"Try as I might, I couldn't find any reflections off of the crystal, even under intense light." You actually can find reflections but you have to work at it. The reflections are insignificant and there is no time under any light that you can not clearly see the dial and read the time. This is very impressive.

"It should be noted that many owners have been reporting superb accuracy (+ or - 3s per week)"….. I read these reports too before making my purchase and in fact it was one of the reasons I was so attracted to this automatic watch. Here is where I was disappointed. My watch consistently gains approximately 11-12 seconds per day and it does not matter what position it is in at night. It turns out that this is well within the stated specifications for the Miyota 9010 movement (-10 to +30 seconds) but never-the-less, potential buyers should not be under the false impression that every specimen will adhere to near COSC like accuracy.

I am going to attach a series of pictures to illustrate one other characteristic of this beautiful watch. Almost every picture I have seen on-line has shown the beautiful and classy blue color of the hands. Well, this is position and lighting dependent and quite variable. In fact, with some positions relating to the angle and quality of the light, the "classy blue color" looks instead like decorative tinsel or the blue just changes to a gray. Hate to say that but it is true.

Looking at the attached pictures, you will also note that you never do see a reflection off the crystal and it appears that there is none. It is although you could just reach in and touch the dial.

I don't want anyone to think that I am being over critical. I do in fact love this watch and wear it more than any others in my collection. It is worth every penny and as some have stated, probably worth much more than it sells for. (and I got mine from an AD at an incredible price so no complaint there).

Again, Kudos on a great review of a great watch.

View attachment 1407050 View attachment 1407052 View attachment 1407053 View attachment 1407054 View attachment 1407057
Thanks for adding those comments to the review, I definitely agree on all points. I noticed too how the light plays on the hands after wearing it for a bit. It seems to be a lot more of a pastel and soft blue in more mellow natural light, and a bit more tinsel and gray under artificial lighting. Also thanks for the professional photos!

Registered
I am fortunate enough to have three Citizen Signatures in my collection, including this model. I absolutely love this piece, it's finish and detail far surpass it's price. There are a few things I wish it had like a screw down crown, signed crown etc but these are minor. The Grand Classic looks incredibly classy when worn with a suit or business casual. I've been kicking around the idea of an Oris Artix Date but the more I think of it I might just go for the GC in black. My other two Citizen Signature's are the Grand Complication and Grand Touring on strap. Love these pieces!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Sorry to revive such an old thread but this review along with Arnold Zigman's great photos helped me pull the trigger on a great Amazon deal ($497.50) and I felt it justified a bump.

Thank you! This watch has immediately become my favorite.

Of note, the watch -- at least my example -- now ships with the 9011 movement (I don't know what's changed from the 9010.)

After its first 10 days of service -- a mix of wearing, winder, and watch box -- it is at +39 seconds.

Beauty, build quality, comfort, and accuracy -- a true winner.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.