WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Citizen Blue Angels Atomic Time Chronograph Model AT8020-03L with the H800 Caliber. I purchased this watch about 18 months ago. In the last 3 months, the time keeping function is malfunctioning. Despite living in Denver about 70 miles from the atomic time radio signal tower in Ft. Collins, CO, 2-3 times a week the time ends up being delayed 8-12 hours. It will reset using the reset function (holding down button A) but then time keeping malfunctions again 2-3 days later. The second hand also stops usually around the 5 minute index and if I check the timezone it's set to, it's usually something other than Denver. I have tried resetting the reference position (pg 52 of the manual) which is always off when I have gone through these steps. Also, I have even done an “all reset” (pg 58 of the manual) and the problem persists. The charge is full. The chronograph works fine.

Contacted the Citizen Service Center by email and actually received a phone call back from Victor S***** (not sure if I'm allowed to put full name in) who was great. We talked through what I had done to rectify the problem which he stated was what he planned to have me do on our call. However, he didn't question me or make me go through the process with him on the phone, wait a few days, call him back and then move to the next step. He just said, "Send me the watch." He had me mark it to his attention so it didn't just end up with one of the service center techs who would have probably gone through all the steps I had, waited 24 hours and then sent it back saying there was no problem. He plans to verify the problem but indicated sounded like it needed a new movement.

So, off my little Angel went to CA to see what St. Peter can do to resurrect it.

I'll post an update when I hear back.

·
Premium Member
73,592 Posts
Now that’s what I call good customer service. It’s the sort of attention you usually get when you’re buying a piece but mysteriously seems to tail off once you own it. Hope things continue to go well for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice to hear that Citizen Repair service is treating you so well. I hope my own experience is just as good with them.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this great guy (Victor S) at Citizen service center had my watch for about 2 weeks. Apparently there were no problems at all while there. No stopping. When checked all hands set to the reference position. Nothing. I asked him to check if the watch was receiving a signal when we followed up by phone. It had not received during the 2 AM time check period but was at least not having issues keeping time/date without the nightly update. They used a citizen radio contolled atomic time signal amplifier (available for ~$11) and it did receive the signal just fine in Torrance, CA. So, I said, must be something in my end.

Watch was shipped out after our call 1/18/19 and arrived to me reading about 20:30 and date window on 18. Second hand not moving. When I used the A button to check the time, it indicated the wrong time zone but a full charge. Holding down A, it reset to the proper date and time but then second hand stopped (though hour and minute kept going) a few hours later.

I guess I need to call Victor back...

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I hope you have clear that the seconds hand is supposed to stop whenever the ambient light is not enough to charge the cell. So when you pull the watch out of a box/drawer the seconds hand will not turn but it will start to do so as soon as the dial receives enough light. This might not happen in a bedroom. When the hand is stopped the watch keeps on operating as usual.

This power saving feature is described in your manual

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you have clear that the seconds hand is supposed to stop whenever the ambient light is not enough to charge the cell. So when you pull the watch out of a box/drawer the seconds hand will not turn but it will start to do so as soon as the dial receives enough light. This might not happen in a bedroom. When the hand is stopped the watch keeps on operating as usual.

This power saving feature is described in your manual
Yeah, I have owned multiple Citizens with that feature. The second hand stops (and should stop at 12 o'clock) but not the whole movement. As mentioned in the original post that's not the problem.

But the above notwithstanding, here's the update. After 10 days, and the original A-button reset, everything seems to be running fine. I have had no further issues with loss of time, wrong date, or the time zone pointing to something other than what I set. Ended up not calling Victor.

Guess it was just a therapeutic trip to the Torrance service facility or the movement wised up and realized its days were numbered if it didn't get with the program but seems okay for now.

Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Reactions: GaryK30

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's possible you had a low battery. If the battery is starting to fail, the timekeeping and sync could get funky, and the meter could not work properly. These are all just guesses, mind you. Thankfully I haven't seen it happen to my angel.

I had a fashion watch with a citizen movement. It got to the point where it would stop or start running when it would get knocked. Watchmaker told me it was just due to low battery.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
I lost a couple of really small sleeves to my Citizen Satellite Wave while trying to size the bracelet. I called Citizen and the guy who helped me was very knowledgeable, looked up the parts, and I got them within a week. They weren't cheap, but it did save the cost of a new bracelet. It's refreshing to get a US-based service that is customer-focused.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Belated Update: I sent the watch back for a second round and, sure enough, they were able to witness the problem. Victor S got the watch mov't replaced. 5 months on and it's keeping great time, syncing with the Ft. Collins tower. Great customer service over all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have what seems to be the exact same problem - battery charged but everything stops, including date stops advancing. When i press the status button, time zone goes to some random time zone, battery status full. When it goes back to time keeping, time is wrong. I left in a window to charge more, no change. I bought one of those USB light chargers, no change. But in truth, I had never actually seen battery status drop from 100% since purchasing. I was about to ship to citizen, but balked at the idea because it’s a expensive watch and shouldn’t need repair after such short time. So I put the watch away in a drawer so I wouldn’t see it.......

After a month or two, it started working again! Battery status still said full, so now I decided to experiment and see if it would ever report 3/4 or lower. Waiting another month, etc, next check, still working! Eventually, left it in the drawer until battery got down to 1 month reserve and then started using it as normal. No problems!

After a few weeks, battery was charged back up to full, and then.... stopped working again! So it’s been in my drawer again and sure enough, after a couple weeks in the dark, it starts working again.

I think there is a problem with overcharging this watch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So this great guy (Victor S) at Citizen service center had my watch for about 2 weeks. Apparently there were no problems at all while there. No stopping. When checked all hands set to the reference position. Nothing. I asked him to check if the watch was receiving a signal when we followed up by phone. It had not received during the 2 AM time check period but was at least not having issues keeping time/date without the nightly update. They used a citizen radio contolled atomic time signal amplifier (available for ~$11) and it did receive the signal just fine in Torrance, CA. So, I said, must be something in my end.

Watch was shipped out after our call 1/18/19 and arrived to me reading about 20:30 and date window on 18. Second hand not moving. When I used the A button to check the time, it indicated the wrong time zone but a full charge. Holding down A, it reset to the proper date and time but then second hand stopped (though hour and minute kept going) a few hours later.

I guess I need to call Victor back...

Where is this available?

Looking to acquire it in canada.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad I found this old post, my new AT8020-54L is doing the same thing you described above. The second hand stops or freezes at random times, and when I check the home city I see it is not where it should be. I must have reset the watch two or three times yesterday and then last night before bed. When I got up this morning it was running and had done a successful sync with the atomic clock in Colorado. 10 minutes later I noticed the second hand stopped again. I am going to wait and see it the watch will start again and keep current time with my other atomic watch. I plan to give Citizen a call tomorrow to see about sending it in since it sounds like a module issue as stated in this forum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have an update on my AT8020-54L second hand stopping....
I have been monitoring my watch this morning and the second hand is the only one that is stopping, the hour and minute hand are still keeping current time and move when they should. The seconds hand has stopped at the following times, and then would correct itself shortly afterwards:
09:21 - 09:23 / 2nd hand stopped at the 3 sec marker
0954 - 09:59 / at the 20 sec marker
10:49 - 10:59 / at the 15 sec marker

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I have had great service from Citizen USA. Service Center. Like you, I experienced fast response and and great personal service. To bad other Watch Companies don’t give you the same service! Way to go Citizen! Vance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, I have owned multiple Citizens with that feature. The second hand stops (and should stop at 12 o'clock) but not the whole movement. As mentioned in the original post that's not the problem.

But the above notwithstanding, here's the update. After 10 days, and the original A-button reset, everything seems to be running fine. I have had no further issues with loss of time, wrong date, or the time zone pointing to something other than what I set. Ended up not calling Victor.

Guess it was just a therapeutic trip to the Torrance service facility or the movement wised up and realized its days were numbered if it didn't get with the program but seems okay for now.

Let's keep our fingers crossed...
@ MaDTempo. One possibility is that do you place your watch in an area that is near a very strong electromagnetic source that could be stopping the second hand on the watch? Or do you wear your watch a lot in an area that is near a very strong electromagnetic source? Perhaps that's the reason that the second hand on your radio-control Citizen watch is stopping when it shouldn't?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I called today and spoke with customer service and was told it could be an energy issue or movement issue. My watch synchronized for the 2nd night in a row with the atomic clock in Colorado, and was in direct sunlight for 2 1/2 days, and I counted 13 plus times that the second hand stopped yesterday from 09:21 - 20:00 last night. It even stopped while I was on the phone with customer service this morning, after being in the sunlight for 3 hours, so they provided me with instructions to send it in to get checked. I will update this forum once I hear back from Citizen.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I received an email today from Citizen Customer service:

"Thank you for the information provided.
Your repair number is XXXXXXX and
Your watch is currently in our repair shop for a warranty replacement of the internal mechanism.
There is no cost associated with your repair.
Please allow 12-14 business days to receive your watch back."

So this sounds like what was mentioned by others, it was the movement that had an issue. I will post again once I receive my watch back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts