WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

Just recently I was fortunate to acquire a new Citizen MA on its companion bracelet. Both are Duratec titanium.

What is Duratec?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'm an absolute newbie here, but my understanding is that Duratect finishing is a hardening process that renders the outer layer of the titanium(or it can be another metal, like stainless steel) very scratch and stain resistant. Without some type of hardening finish, titanium is relatively easy to scratch(compared to stainless steel)...something we'd prefer not to happen to our pretty watch cases and bracelets!.

I found this scientific explanation of the Duratect finishing process. It's waaaay too scientific for me(DOH!), but it still sounds very cool! :-!
http://fgmdb.nal.go.jp/others/e_product.html#citizun

·
Registered
986 Posts
Sukispop is correct...

In laymens terms the Duratec is Citizen patented Hard Titanium , Ti is a light metal that can and will scratch and scuff very easy. Citizen recognized this quick and decided to strengthen the Ti and what the end result is that it is a very durable and light metal.

It is a damn pity that Seiko could not do this also :-(

Cheers
Leon
P.S the MA is getting harder to find, so kudos to your finding it

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I have had two of the MA's twin the Super tough 4X4, which is the same watch with different labelling and it is very scratch resistant due to the Duratect surface hardening process.

As for Seiko I don't know what if any process they use on their Titanium watches but the Landmaster that I have is just as scratch resistant as the Citizen Duratect finish. I also have just gotten an SBDB001 Marine Master and I understand it has a hardened finish as well, but I can not comment yet because it is to new to tell. Also the Titanium nitride surface application that Seiko uses is very scratch resistant.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Sukispop is correct...

In laymens terms the Duratec is Citizen patented Hard Titanium , Ti is a light metal that can and will scratch and scuff very easy. Citizen recognized this quick and decided to strengthen the Ti and what the end result is that it is a very durable and light metal.

It is a damn pity that Seiko could not do this also :-(

Cheers
Leon
P.S the MA is getting harder to find, so kudos to your finding it
Hello Leon:

I always trust your words of wisdom. Thanks so much for your description of Duratec. It has made Citizen my favored analog brand. I agree with you, Seiko should one up Citizen.

Mission Antarctica: Just saw the ad and jumped on it. Many thanks to painexpert who sold the watch to me.

A real testimony to the excellent WUS sales forum! Ernie is a true gentleman for hosting such an excelllent forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts