WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Citizen movement that is equal to the Seiko 8F (8F35 or 8F56)? ie. +/- 20/yr, but is also affordable (ie. watch price $200-$400US)?

Comparable to say Seiko SBCJ019 or SBCM023?

cheers

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does this mean there isn't a Citizen equivalent to the Seiko 8FXX?

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I don't know about the 8F35 but if you look at the 8L35 that is in the Marine Master 300M auto, then no I don't think any of Citizen's movements compare.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Well, there is, but...

Is there a Citizen movement that is equal to the Seiko 8F (8F35 or 8F56)? ie. +/- 20/yr, but is also affordable (ie. watch price $200-$400US)?
Hi Northerner,

I'm a noob to this hobby, and found your inquiry intriguing...so I did a bit of googling.

Citizen does make some very accurate quartz movements, but, unfortunately, they seem to be available only in watches over(and well over) $1,000 USD.

They have the A660, which has a rated accuracy of +/- 5 sec/yr, and it's available in their "The Citizen" Chronomaster model line, which has an msrp range of 170,000-270,000 yen(currently ~$1,400-$2,200 USD).

They also have the A690, which has a rated accuracy of +/- 10 sec/yr, and this movement is available in select higher end Exceed models(typically in the mid-100,000 yen range).

Interestingly, Citizen made a limited edition watch model, back in '75, with a super accurate movement called the Crystron Mega(no number classification), for a model called, the "Crystron Mega". The Crystron Mega was limited to 3,000 units, and it was priced new at ~$15,000 USD. The CM movement had a rated accuracy of +/- 3 sec/yr, and was considered the most accurate watch ever created.

Now, another member mentioned the Seiko 8L35 automatic movement, which has a rated accuracy of +15~-10 sec/day. I couldn't find anything on a Miyota automatic movement that could match/better this; perhaps another member knows of one. The venerable Miyota 8203 movement has a rated accuracy of -10~+20 sec/day, and is found in many affordable Citizen models.

Here's a link to the WUS forum article that I found much of this information:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=2087

'Hope this may be of help...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts