WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any assistance in helping me diagnose and fix a problem with my watch.

The Mode Button when pulled out does not start the setting process. It will switch between modes when pressed in. This is a recent problem that makes setting the watch impossible.

I have taken the Mode Button out and then reinserted it, with no change. All of the other buttons and their respective functions work.

Does anyone have an idea of the problem and a possible fix? The watch does not have any warranty since I bought it second hand off of Ebay.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You could try a reset procedure. Some Citizens have a note on the caseback that tells you which contact you need to short with the + end of the battery (which is essentially the entire plate covering the movement). Sounds scary but it's something you have to do every time you change a battery so it won't harm your watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you explain how exactly I would do that? Also, what should the watch look like after I have completed that process?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I figured out the method for the "all-reset operation". The digital display does reset. This still does not solve the problem.

The Mode Button still does not activate the setting mode when pulled out. The digital display does nothing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a button problem with my C300 after about 8 years. It was that the button in the lower left would not work reliably. As I recall when I opened it up, I saw a contact on the mode button stem that was activated when it was pulled out. I am sorry, but I don’t recall exactly where it was. I would suspect that the problem lies there. It could be just some crud in the contacts.
Also, I think that the “all reset” function is a bit different than the procedure that is printed on the inside back of the case (I think that it was this watch that I saw this on). The difference is a bit like that of a hard reset over a soft one. In either case I would not expect that to fix the problem, although it may be worth a try.
Sparky2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to look at the area around the Mode Button again to see if I can clean it up. I will post the results after I try that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have purchased this watch many years ago and after the battery died, I have replaced it myself(managed to scratch up the back cover) and it didn't work properly.
I had and same problem as you. I have put it away for all those years and now I remembered that I had this watch and took it out.
I have replaced again the battery and it works after resetting it, but unfortunately I have the same issue as you. Did you find a solution for the mode button?
I have read some comments on Youtube, that it's a very common problem and the caliber needs replacing by Citizen.
This is true?
Any help would be appreciated.

Tibor

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Forum,

I have recently acquired this 1st gen. Navihawk (Blue Angels ver.), and I'm disappointed to discover that it also has this mode button issue (pulling out the mode button won't make the watch go into settings mode). When I got this watch, the seller claimed that all it needed was a fresh battery. I took the watch home in good faith only to discover this problem. :-(

I am really drawn by the aesthetics of this circa 1990s watch, and I'd really like to get this watch working again. Morever, my itch to take this watch apart grew, and this issue gave me a good reason to justify taking it apart. :-d

I found an article / site in which the author serviced his Navisail, which has a C320 calibre. Well, the C300 calibre should not be that different, so I studied the article carefully. Also, below is an image from the C300 service manual, for handy reference on the name of the parts.

Upon removing the train wheel bridge, I studied how the stem actuates the mode wheel and the switch spring. I noted that the switch spring is not moving when the stem is pulled out. The reason is because the switch actuating spring is not actually pushing against the stem. See image below. The switch actuating spring (orange arrow) should be pressing against the switch spring (red arrow) so that when the stem is pulled out, the switch actuating spring will force the switch spring to move, thus, telling the PCB that the watch should enter set-mode.

Analyzing why the switch actuating spring is not touching the switch spring as it should (by gently rocking it to-&-fro with a tweezer), I noticed that one plastic peg is loose (red arrow; orange box is the zoomed-in image above).

Upon removing the switch actuating spring, I discovered that the plastic peg has actually broken off from the main plastic assembly (red arrow below). I almost lost that little peg! :-x

I took some super-glue and glued the peg back in place (blue arrow below). Believe me, my patience was pushed to the limit, dabbing just the right amount of a teenie bit of super glue, and placing that little peg back on position...

Finally, after reassembling back the watch (another test of patience on getting the train wheel bridge back on)... IT WORKED! I have made the mode/set button alive again! :-d

Having set the correct time on the watch, it now sits happily on my wrist. :-!

I hope this can help the others out there with similar problems. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still have this watch.
I will have to look at it, if I still have the same issue.
If I have the same issue, most like I don't have that peg anymore. Did not pay attention to it, when I have disassembled it.
I will let you know how it goes.
Thank you very much, for this awesome diy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts