WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have the chance to acquire a Citizen Nighthawk like the one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064Z44W/sr=1-5/qid=1155289478/ref=sr_1_5/002-9627048-2227226?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry
for around ~$100 which is a great deal but I hate the leather strap and wanted to know if I could easily find replacements for it. Has anyone had experience getting replacement straps from third party vendors for this watch? I'm concerned since the strap looks solidly hinged to the case (hard to describe but suffice to say there's no flex where the watch is attatched to the case).
I was thinking of replacing it w/ something like this:
http://www.westcoastime.com/carbannewand.html
Also, I'd like to be able to change the straps myself; what tools would i need to do that and does anyone know of a good tutorial they can point me to?

Sorry for all the many questions and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
643 Posts
FallenCow said:
Also, I'd like to be able to change the straps myself; what tools would i need to do that and does anyone know of a good tutorial they can point me to?
Any self-respecting watchmaker will change the strap for you for $5 or less (often free since it will take them under 30 seconds to do). I mean no offense - but if you need a tutorial on how to change a strap on a watch - it may not be a bad idea to bring the watch to a watchmaker and have him do it for you while showing you how it's done.

Michael

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
So long as the strap is of the appropriate lug width, you will have no problem finding an aftermarket replacement. The stock strap you are talking about has curved ends and that is why it looks as though it where integrated into the case. The strap you are interested has straight ends, which gives it that more traditional look. I'm pretty sure you can find a curved end strap similar to the one you are interetsed in if you are so inclined.

As for changing it, if you plan on getting several watches and will be adjusting straps yourself then buy a strap changing tool. otherwise just take it to a watch maker or a jeweller and have them do it. It should take all of 5 minutes and shou definitely not cost you any more than $5. It should not be an additional charge if you are buying the strap from the person changing it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it's not that I can't figure out how to change the strap myself, I just don't want to run the risk of screwing up the case or the band because of my ineperience. I was going to buy a strap tool as well when I find a suitable replacement strap. I see what you mean about the band being fitted and unfortunately I don't see very many replacement bands that are like that.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
FallenCow said:
I see what you mean about the band being fitted and unfortunately I don't see very many replacement bands that are like that.
There are lots of them. Most major band sellers on line carry a wide selection of them. I don't have time right now, but just post a request for watch band seller recomendfations and you should get multiple ones. Remember to search for bands with "curved ends". Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts