WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many aren't fans of quartz watches. I, however, think they have their place in a collection. I was looking for something that would keep good time, didn't require winding or adjusting every week (or so), something that I could get wet and work in, and something that still looked good to me...all for a relatively inexpensive price. Basically I wanted a good-looking, everyday watch that I could wear no matter what I was doing. My Aquis (and a couple of others) aren't going to be used while I'm mowing the yard, and I wanted something a little more "traditional" than my G-Shocks.

I chose to go with the Citizen BN0190 Promaster Divers Watch. To me, it's really a good looking watch. The size is right for my wrists (right at 45 mm with the crown), 12 mm thick, and less than 50 mm lug-to-lug. I would rather have a sapphire crystal, as opposed to the mineral one, but for around $250 bucks I'm okay making this concession.

The 60 click bezel is spot-on in its alignment and the second hand also hits all of its marks (seems rare for a quartz watch). The crown looks small, and it is, but the shape of it makes it easy to manipulate. The layout of the dial is extremely easy to read at a glance. The date window, however, is a little small for my aging eyes to read without my glasses. I charged the lume for about 20 seconds around 10p last night and at 6:30a this morning I could still read the watch in the dark. The lume on the hands/indexes (or indices if you wish) is a greenish blue with the bezel pip being green...again, all visible 8.5 hours later.

I'm really not a fan of rubber straps, which this one came with, so I changed to a leather strap I already had. The bracelet that comes with this model didn't really trip my trigger so I decided not to spend the extra money on something I would likely change. Since the lug width is 22 mm, finding replacement straps will be an easy thing to do should I decide to do so in the future.

Although I'll likely not go deeper than the deep end of the pool, the watch is an ISO certified diver. To emphasize its diving capabilities, it came in one of the "scuba tank" boxes that I think is pretty cool. I'm not a packaging guy, but my son is going to love it.

In any case, below are a couple of pics taken with my phone - so likely not great. However, they will give you an idea of what the watch looks like. I feel pretty good in recommending to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive everyday watch to consider this one. So far, this is turning into my go-to watch for routine use.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
Good watch for the $$$.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't own any calipers, but when comparing it to my 43.5 mm Oris Aquis Date (not worn in a while) they are very close to the same size. I'm guessing 43 +/- 0.5 mm. I used a marked piece of paper going from 2:00 to 8:00 on the bezel (same sizes) so the case size should be close.

Oris Citizen.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Very nice. Citizen gets a pass in my book for quartz, because I tell myself and anyone who will listen that a quartz watch needs battery replacement. An Eco-Drive does not!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Real nice. If I were to get a quartz analog watch an Eco-Drive would be at the top of my list. Something about Citizen's clean yet modern design aesthetic really appeals to me.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking that the BN0190 will likely take the place of my BN0000-04H, which has been a really good watch to kick around in. The case on the 04H is really unique in that there is no removable case back...it's all one piece. The 0190 is so much easier to read and the crown on the 04H is pretty finicky when it comes to getting it to screw down.

2 citizens.jpg

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Super nice bang-for-the-buck watch you have there! I really like it. Citizen and Seiko. Can't beat um. ;-)

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a great no fuss diver :)
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Easy to read. Eco-Drive reliability. Good price point. Keeps good time. Lume is an all-nighter. Looks good...nothing fancy, but nice. Versatile. The 22mm lugs make it easy to find bands/straps. Good case size. No worries with water.

I’m not sure what more one could ask for in an “every day” watch.

I am enjoying this watch. I don’t worry about this one like I do the other “nicer” ones I have when on the motorcycle or working around the house. All-in-all I would recommend it.

It’s made a good impression on me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Easy to read. Eco-Drive reliability. Good price point. Keeps good time. Lume is an all-nighter. Looks good...nothing fancy, but nice. Versatile. The 22mm lugs make it easy to find bands/straps. Good case size. No worries with water.

I’m not sure what more one could ask for in an “every day” watch.

I am enjoying this watch. I don’t worry about this one like I do the other “nicer” ones I have when on the motorcycle or working around the house. All-in-all I would recommend it.

It’s made a good impression on me.
These are the kinds of watches that Citizen does really well.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm thinking that the BN0190 will likely take the place of my BN0000-04H, which has been a really good watch to kick around in. The case on the 04H is really unique in that there is no removable case back...it's all one piece. The 0190 is so much easier to read and the crown on the 04H is pretty finicky when it comes to getting it to screw down.

View attachment 13023241
Ironically enough the BN0190 is on trial with the Royal Navy to replace the BN0000-4H as an issue watch for dive teams, note this is standard dive teams not special forces who are still using the CWC

1 - 20 of 55 Posts