WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Excellent. Will be interesting to see what pressures this creates in that segment of the market (FC and Alpina).

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was considering to pick up an FC as my first Swiss watch but it looks like my watch collection is going to all consist of watches from the Citizen Group.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
I was considering to pick up an FC as my first Swiss watch but it looks like my watch collection is going to all consist of watches from the Citizen Group.
Міжнародні дзень роднай мовы 21 лютага 2016 года спецыяльная выданне механiчныя LUCH

I'm quite sure that's not from the Citizen Group.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
There's nothing in the news section of the FC website, but here's what was on WatchPro.

Frederique Constant Group has been bought by Japanese watch giant Citizen which is looking to increase its brand portfolio.

The group founded by Peter and Aletta Stas 25 years ago includes Frederique Constant, Alpina and Ateliers deMonaco brands.

The written announcement was made by the husband and wife founders today.

It states that the couple’s children have both developed their own professional interests away from the world of watches and they had begun to look for a way of safeguarding the future of the company beyond themselves.

“After careful analysis and many discussions, we have become increasingly impressed by the innovative technologies of the Citizen Group. We see the opportunity of a Swiss/Japanese partnership to develop and market watches for the 21st century and beyond.”

The statement also points out the acquisition will result in “High-tech collaboration in development of electronic, mechanical and hybrid calibers. We look forward to combîning Frederique ConstanVs high-end Manufacture capability with Citizen’s long history in revolutionary solar, radio and ultra-thin caliber innovations”.

The deal will also cover Frederique Constant’s Horological Smartwatch, with Frederique Constant Group having bought out its Silicon Valley technology partners in the project earlier this year.

Citizen, which already owns Bulova and Angelus as well as movement manufacturers La Joux Perret and Miyota, will also present a ready distribution network in the US for Frederique Constant and Alpina’s watches.

The core Frederique Constant Group business represents 170 employees in six offices worldwide and its watches are available at 3,000 points of sale globally.

Peter Stas continued: “Over the past year, we have become convinced that the Frederique Constant Group will benefit enormously from the strengths of the Citizen Group and accepted their offer to be acquired. As part of the agreement, Aletta and myself and the management team will stay in our current positions for a minimum of five years. Frederique Constant, Alpina and Ateliers deMonaco will be managed as independent brands and companies within the Citizen Group.”

It is not known how much Citizen paid to acquire Frederique Constant Group

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sad, sad, sad to me...

I love Frederique Constant, now it will be a Miyota made in switzerland.

Not mention that I HATE Citizen from all my life...
Sad, sad, sad...

PDF of the official announcement:http://www.citizen.co.jp/global/files/20160526fc1e.pdf

This was my last one:

86vvcqy9.jpg

No more Frederiques to me...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Care to explain more about your hatred of Citizen?

Personally, it would have been nice if they continued to be independent, but it's definitely better than being acquired by some Chinese jewelry group like Eterna.

Sad, sad, sad to me...

I love Frederique Constant, now it will be a Miyota made in switzerland.
Not mention that I HATE Citizen from all my life...
Sad, sad, sad...

PDF of the official announcement:http://www.citizen.co.jp/global/files/20160526fc1e.pdf

This was my last one:

No more Frederiques to me...

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
And as the OP pointed out, almost certainly not the last such announcement. This could be largely beneficial to both.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I can understand the Stas' rationale.. it's a bit sad though to hear. I liked the completely independent nature of the brand and its serious dedication to the "Swiss Made" label. While access to Citizen's distribution channels and R&D will certainly help overall, there is something lost in this purchase. It's not anything that will detract from the quality of the watch (at least I hope not), but it's not going to have that upstarty appeal anymore.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can understand the Stas' rationale.. it's a bit sad though to hear. I liked the completely independent nature of the brand and its serious dedication to the "Swiss Made" label. While access to Citizen's distribution channels and R&D will certainly help overall, there is something lost in this purchase. It's not anything that will detract from the quality of the watch (at least I hope not), but it's not going to have that upstarty appeal anymore.
Agree... Totally agree.

·
Registered
241 Posts
One garbage brand acquiring another is nothing new. Although FC is much more of a waste, citizen's atomic stuff is cool

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
+2. I liked the small business feel of FC.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
That makes me sad to hear...
It is a shame, but reading the kicking that FC gets on here, and thinking about the crowded, price-depressed marketplace they're in, I don't blame them...

It means the business moves away from the WIS wet dream of family heirloom heritage. Since this is a great example of a company, right at this point, moving from family ownership to conglomeration, I would ask the fundies - what should happen now? Should people's jobs at FC and Alpina be protected? Or does one's fundamentalism require that these brands basically be taken out and shot now?

·
Registered
74 Posts
+2.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Citizen is pretty good at keeping their brands/companies completely distinct despite being under the same umbrella. This explains why the precisionist movement still hasn't made its way outside Bulova. I would love to have the precisionist be combined with an ecodrive.

It is a shame, but reading the kicking that FC gets on here, and thinking about the crowded, price-depressed marketplace they're in, I don't blame them...

It means the business moves away from the WIS wet dream of family heirloom heritage. Since this is a great example of a company, right at this point, moving from family ownership to conglomeration, I would ask the fundies - what should happen now? Should people's jobs at FC and Alpina be protected? Or does one's fundamentalism require that these brands basically be taken out and shot now?

1 - 20 of 194 Posts