WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I got that Hamilton gray market for 302 shipped from Singapore.

I wear it with a suit (puts on flame suit).
Then again, I also wear the world timer with a suit. All of the above are very versatile watches IMHO....

·
Registered
13,555 Posts
Do the Seiko and/or Orient come with Sapphire Crystal?
EDIT. I just looked up these two watches and they don't have Sapphire. I handle my watches very roughly, and the ONLY one that has come away looking good was that Sapphire Crytal Invicta 9937.
You can get a sapphire crystal put in the Seiko 007.

Motor City Watch Works - they have an actual website here: MotorCity WatchWorks

or

Yobokies - introducing: Yobokies | independent watch projects

They both are highly recommended and do good work. And they could also change out the hands or dials or do custom finish on the watch. Seiko also has display backs that they can install on a watch for you.

Just an option to look into if it piques your interest.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Invicta did produce some okay watches back in the day when they were still using sapphire crystal. Although you maybe ashamed, I wear my Invicta everyday, and the black IP coating has actually lasted a lot better than the black IP coating of my Citizen Skyhawk AT.

1) Citizen is a real watchmaker, and a great one at that.
2) Warranty. 5 years if you buy it at an AD in the United States (I'm assuming your in the US). What Invicta offers can hardly be considered a warranty.
3) Quality Control
4) Marketing practices. Citizen doesn't lie, and they don't copy watches shamelessly.
5) I make it a point to not buy watches that are sold on QVC, or ShopNBC (personal preference sort of thing)
6) I wouldn't have to worry about the hands randomly falling off the Citizen
7) I wouldn't have to tell anyone who inquires on my watch, that it is an Invicta
8) I'd rather go without a watch than be forced to wear an Invicta
9) The Citizen is 43mm, a better size for me personally than the Invicta
10) I'm not a big quartz guy, but eco-drive versus some sourced movement that Invicta slaps into a watch, and I'll take the Eco-drive.

As for your dilema. I have a couple of Sapphire front and back mechanicals that I bought for around 300 dollars. Seiko has a couple offerings that may be up your alley as well.

Orient World Timer

Hamilton Field Khaki (available on a bracelet as well)

Seiko Superior

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I really can't seem to find a sub-$399 watch with Sapphire Crystal.
My Citizen BM7080-03E comes with sapphire crystal. And, it retails for $276. I got a good deal on mine. I've seen it sell for as low as $206 on Amazon. Wears a bit bigger than it is. Titanium case, nice leather strap; but it can be a bit too formal-looking for some. Eco-Drive technology is highly underrated. You're more likely to need to get an automatic serviced long before an Eco-Drive model. (Many of which have been known to go 10 or even 20 years before needing the rechargeable battery replaced.)

I wear mine on a daily basis since getting it last Christmas. No issues at all. Accurate, reliable, affordable. It has fallen on the ground twice, face down, from a soft-cushioned chair. Not even a tiny scratch on the crystal.

·
Registered
869 Posts
True, even though I hold my Invicta with high regard, it's sort of funny now I think of it, because my non watch friends would be like "hey, nice watch", they read Invicta, and I would go "Don't buy this brand unless you know exactly what you are buying" and recommend Seiko and Citizen.
And that ship has long since sailed.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
True, even though I hold my Invicta with high regard, it's sort of funny now I think of it, because my non watch friends would be like "hey, nice watch", they read Invicta, and I would go "Don't buy this brand unless you know exactly what you are buying" and recommend Seiko and Citizen.
And it is really too bad when you think of it... Invicta had a lot of potential, and the watch the op had was a testament to the early days build quality (if not original designs).
There is a small boutique diving brand that I fear is going towards the dark side that Invicta fell into long ago....

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
And it is really too bad when you think of it... Invicta had a lot of potential, and the watch the op had was a testament to the early days build quality (if not original designs).
There is a small boutique diving brand that I fear is going towards the dark side that Invicta fell into long ago....
Which one?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Which one?
I don't know about sl7vk, but i feel like Deep Blue may...... They're starting to head towards "three cases with a trillion designs each" which is eerily Invictaesque.

In response to the OP, buy the citizen. (For 50% of your budget you could get a Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor which has sapphire, but with no day or date or display back that probably won't work.) I would add reasons to the above list of 10, but they're all pretty much covered!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I am sorry about your watch, I know what is feels like to lose a good watch, I lost an old ESQ a while back, the ESQ today are not that same as 10 years ago same with Invicta, it used to be a flag ship, if your luck today you can still get a good invicta like the old ones but a research you need to do. I would say in today's world go citizen, I would recommend the bl5315-50E if you can find them, they are becoming rare to find and will make a great collectors piece for citizen lovers:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Steinhart Ocean 1 yet. High quality, Swiss automatic movement and Sapphire crystal for around $365.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Citizen over Invicta all day long. They aren't even in the same league...
League? They are not even playing the same sport. If Citizen is football, Invicta is Tiddlywinks, with pieces missing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Steinhart Ocean 1 yet. High quality, Swiss automatic movement and Sapphire crystal for around $365.
Someone must have suggested that watch because I looked it up yesterday, and I had never heard of the brand. My search abilities through this thread are obviously poor.
Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
It seems like you don't mind quartz. You'd rather have the accuracy than the character of a mechanical watch?

If that's true, do check out Hamilton's offerings; they make quartzes too. Citizen is a good bet, much better than Invicta lately. Their QC and customer service reputation have gone down the pooper. Their warranty forces you to pay for the repairs.

Also, look at orientwatchusa.com. Their mid and high level watches have sapphire crystals, and they have some sharp-looking, unique designs.

My vote would be for a Seiko from yobookies (sp?) that someone mentioned earlier. Nice mods, makes a common watch look even sharper. Automatic movement = no batteries, ever. You just have to be willing to set the time once a week or so. They're better built than Invictas, with more efficient automatic winding in the movement. Orient would be just as good, if you can find the style you want in sapphire. You're right to insist on this, if you tend to scratch crystals. Don't settle for mineral glass, or Hardlex, or fusion. Something with a THICK sapphire crystal, like the aforementioned Seiko diver, would be ideal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I ordered the Citizen CB0020-50e last night.

I'd like to thank all of you for your suggestions; from alternate brands to modifying an existing model with Sapphire.

I think every single watch posted here was IMO quite good-looking. You guys know your stuff obviously.

This Citizen will be my standard going out watch. I may also be in the market for a comfortable everyday watch. Perhaps titanium, perhaps a leather (or other material) strap. Not sure.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I ordered the Citizen CB0020-50e last night.
Sharp-looking watch. You're missing the timing bezel you had on the Invicta, but picked up the world time feature. Atomic accuracy is nice, of course. I think you can get away with that as an everyday watch, too. It isn't too formal for everyday, and not too sporty for formal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeah you're right the Citizen isn't strictly 100% formal, it can be everyday. I'll wear it for a while and if later on I want a watch I can't even feel on my wrist maybe I'll do research on lightweight/flexible strap watches.

Also, I'm wondering how easy/feasible it would be to use different straps on the Citizen. I have no idea what tools would be required for that to do myself.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts