WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that it depends on the local city what atomic tower your watch will look for....

What if you only use the city name for the UTC offset, how does it know where you are, other than the fact that the city you chose is in your time zone?

-Slava

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The watch has no idea where you are within that time zone.

If you use any of the "home cities" in North America, it will use the Ft. Collins, CO signal -- which means that the watch doesn't even "know" you're in North America, only that you told it to use the North American signal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A friend of mine has a multiband 6 watch and he lives in the GUM (that's Guam) time zone but waaay far from it. The nearest towers would be those in Fukushima and Shanghai. Should he set his G-Shock "home city" to Tokyo or erm.. some city in China to make the radio sync work? I know the signal is <barely> available here but I can't remember how I managed to make it work before on my wife's Baby-G.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
A friend of mine has a multiband 6 watch and he lives in the GUM (that's Guam) time zone but waaay far from it. The nearest towers would be those in Fukushima and Shanghai. Should he set his G-Shock "home city" to Tokyo or erm.. some city in China to make the radio sync work? I know the signal is <barely> available here but I can't remember how I managed to make it work before on my wife's Baby-G.
Setting the watch's home city to HKG (Hong Kong), BJS (Beijing), TPE (Taipai), SEL (Seoul), or TYO (Tokyo) will tell the watch to search for the signals from the towers in China or Japan, but then your friend will need to change the home city back to GUM in the morning after the watch receives.

(My guess is that's what you probably did with your wife's Baby-G.)

If that doesn't work, it's also possible to use a signal simulating phone app to reproduce the signal from one of the Japanese transmitters, which quite a few people here have done -- but then they also need to change the watch's home city back again afterwards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Setting the watch's home city to HKG (Hong Kong), BJS (Beijing), TPE (Taipai), SEL (Seoul), or TYO (Tokyo) will tell the watch to search for the signals from the towers in China or Japan, but then your friend will need to change the home city back
Thank you. That doesn't sound very convenient if someone is serious about this feature otherwise it just means more fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts