WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Civitas Military Watch... is it German WWII era?

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mdinana 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a Civitas military style watch. It was advertised as a German WWII watch but I am questioning that due to the absense of "DH" or any affiliated markings. Perhaps, it may be from a different nation's armed forces? It's been an enigma that has pestered me over a month. Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Civitas was a brand made by Moeris in Switzerland. Covitas as a beand name has been registered in 1904. Moeris watches have been officially issued to the German Army in WW II, they had the D. H. on the back though, same is valid for Civitas.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Metal Gadget Watch

All in all the Deutsches Heer (German Army) had special wristwatches for their officers. These were manufactured according to given specifications by many German and Swiss producers and retailers. To name some: Titus, Aipina, Mulco, Silvana, Minerva, Record, Arsa, Bueren, Zenith, Longines and Moeris as well.
The watches had screwed backs and were shock resistant. The dial was black with a small second hand[/b] with radium digits and hands. The back was always marked "D.H." (Deutsches Heer), with the case number. The watches were partly deployed and written into the soldier's book, and also sold to army staff.

Your watch does not fit the "requirements", especially the small second is missing. However it does date back to WW II times. On a german watchnforum I read about a US army doctor during WW II who was wearing a Civitas. It was said that his Civitas has officially been issued by US Army. No further and in-depth information on that. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Thank you for all the help. I am very grateful. Thank you for all the information. I may start to think of it as a U.S. Army's doctor's wrist watch. That is very interesting. The history behind every watch I own is important to me and I am ecstatic to have some evidence that points somewhere.

Best regards,

Evan

#6 ·
...because they were made in Switzerland and the swiss manufacturers sold their watches not only to the Germany Army but world wide. The watch I posted has english writing as well and was officially issued to the Deutsches Heer. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.