WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Russian forum, the Amphibia and "scuba dude" in particular seem like a favorite around here so looking to add one to my collection. However, I've seen 2 variants of the scuba dude. I did a little research and it looks like there was a slightly updated design that just recently came out with the dude more centered and the date at 6. Does anyone know if the updated design is different in any way or even superior internally to the classic version with date at 3?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
They're mechanically identical, the only difference is the dial and the date wheel. Personally I think the older Soviet-designed dials are the best, but the differences are only cosmetic, so go with what you like. Both are excellent watches.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're mechanically identical, the only difference is the dial and the date wheel. Personally I think the older Soviet-designed dials are the best, but the differences are only cosmetic, so go with what you like. Both are excellent watches.
Thank for the info Mike! The newer one looks like it has a little more lume material around the dial or am i imagining that? Any difference in the lume between the two that you're aware of?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Don't choose on lume alone, the glow will last minutes rather than hours.
Personally I prefer the one in the last pic, the bright silver indices and the outline round the date make the dial look better finished, which in fact it is.
Cutting out operations/features on the production line is Vostoks attempt at keeping the price of manufacture down.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't choose on lume alone, the glow will last minutes rather than hours.
Personally I prefer the one in the last pic, the bright silver indices and the outline round the date make the dial look better finished, which in fact it is.
Cutting out operations/features on the production line is Vostoks attempt at keeping the price of manufacture down.
Yea it does look like there is less detail on the newer dial the numbers are just painted on, perhaps a cost cutting approach as you mention. The design looks like a nice update though.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Hi Steve, and welcome to the Russian Forum!

I have the Blue 'Dude you site to first--the "newer" design. (My Profile Pic is a picture of it on the Great Wall of China.) I like it, but had it to do it all over again, I would have gotten the classic design.
- The lume is truly awful, so don't judge it on that.
- The dial seems flatter to me, and the font for the numbers just doesn't quite fit with the rest of the style. I do wish it had the reflective tick marks instead.
- Also, I'd probably get the "ministry" cased version (model numbers that start with "710") instead of the round case (models that start with "420") -- the ministry cases are just a little bulkier, and have 22mm lug width (the 420 cases have 18mm lug width), so you can get a bit beefier straps, which for me fits a diver better. (And you'll need to change the bracelet -- IMO, it's unwearable.)

Now some people really like the original round case look, and others may prefer the new style dial, but as I said, had I had to do it all over again, I would have gone for model 710059--classic dial, ministry case. I think that would get more wrist time than my 420 currently does.

Check out the "Show us your amphibians" or "show us your scuba dude" threads to see all sorts of different styles, straps, and wrist shots. That may help you make your decision.

Best of luck!

My preferred "dude," if I did it all over again. (Image from Meranom.com.)

My current 'Dude, a 420 case on a Crown & Buckle calfskin NATO

On the Great Wall of China

My other favorite 'Dude style, 710634. I like the font for the numbers a lot better....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts