WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Many companies use built in USA, or built in America to refer to assembly in the states with foreign parts. Stihl, Hyundai, DeWalt.. wow Dewalt (good lawyers there). In case anyone is too lazy to google it, Dewalt's phrase is "Made in the USA" in huge letters, just underneath that it reads "with global materials".
Maybe they need that qualifier. I could be wrong but thought the "Hand Built in America" wording is ok. If there was an error made with the "Made in the USA" references, I do not believe it was malicious in any way.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
You are free to draw conclusions and beliefs as you like.
With that freedom I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt. An expression that they would put the caseback to right - if that wording was ill-advised - shows at minimum good faith on their part. Glass half full...

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
sure hope for your sake it all comes out right in the wash; you're deep in the tank for them.
"Deep in the tank"?? Lol. What happens to me and my $580 if the intent of the company is never established - or by some miracle as malicious? Nothing. I go on enjoying a very fine piece - or any of a number of others in my box. This is not life and death here, and I bear zero legal accountability. My hope is that if the construction of the watch doesn't satisfy the attendant legal stringencies, Ginault will show willingness to revise wording on their products as necessary (oh wait, they have already done that?). Just who do you think is going to hold their feet to the fire and determine without a shred of doubt what the intent was? The most that will come of this is an admission of error (if that is warranted) and some corrective action by Ginault. You won't ever get any absolutes about malicious intent and just assuming that is the company's angle is pretty harsh. No sworn affidavits or grand jury involvement. Just my opinion.

Let me remind you of your comments on the F74 thread about not being a "I told you so" sort of person. That's exactly what drips from your comments, in an obtuse way. I love the watch, have no stocks or shares in Ginault and certainly no liability whatsoever. I intend to enjoy it for what it appears to be - a very nicely executed Sub homage.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I think he, along with several others, have asked Ginault for clarification and haven't gotten any..... they'll answer questions pertaining to anything but the provenance all day long, and I think that's from where the frustration stems.
It's likely that at least some purchases of the watch were made to better afford an opportunity to knock the company down. That's been the clear agenda for some at every single step (along with trying to shout down anyone else who likes the watch, and took a more rational (read: less dogmatic) wait and see approach before burning Ginault at the stake). We all get the concerns here, but to belabour it to death is a little scary.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
My advice for you is to stop obliquely insulting and disparaging other people, as you have done repeatedly for the past several days. You in fact did not "stand down" - more accurately have taken things "underground" to circumvent. And if you post a photo of the open caseback and movement, and then disparage same simply because it doesn't have a signed rotor - without providing any other comment on the movement that would help all of us discern "provenance" (which was your stated goal) - then you can fairly expect your motives to be called into question.

As for the "karma" comments - what is that? Some sort of veiled threat? Surely it has nothing to do with the watch because I am quite happy with that and if it turns out the "Made in USA" claim is off-kilter I will be able to live with it (while still getting the patriotism of the US folks). If the movement origin is never resolved, I can live with it, too. So, where exactly does "karma" come in? I'll get hit by a truck for liking the watch and putting all the hot-button issues on the back-burner? Or "stuck" with a very nicely executed homage that may not be 100% "Made in the USA" as claimed?

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Would making a claim that a watch is "made in USA" if in fact it was not, be illegal and therefore in violation of rule #9?
I think you would have to establish both intent to deceive and an unwillingness to redress, as a reasonable litmus test. I believe I read already that the company was willing to replace casebacks if their wording was inaccurate. Where that stands I am not sure. If they did make an honest mistake, give them a chance to fix it. Unwillingness to do so hints at the dogma I referred to earlier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.