·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Good review, thanks.

Reactions: LifeTrekker

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
a few words from the maker could clear up two major questions: whether Ginault is the same maker that's producing the high-end reps and the legitimacy of the Handbuilt/Made in USA texts.
Well I doubt they're going to cop to being the same people doing something illegal. Ginault, the LLC, is no doubt well insulated even if some of the people are the same. Which we don't know to be the case.

As for the texts, this is what Ginault themselves have to say: "However, there are still some parts absent of domestic suppliers. Those parts are the hairspring, the mainspring, the red synthetic sapphire crystals also known as jewels, and the shock absorber."

https://ginault.com/caliber-7275

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this disqualifies them from being able to make an unqualified "Made in USA" claim, even if every single other part is fabricated in the US. For example, here is Weiss on the making of their movement, which has most parts made in the US, but has a Swiss hairspring (and perhaps other Swiss parts as well):

https://weisswatchcompany.com/blogs/news/usamade-caliber-1003-in-process

And this is what it says when you go to buy one:

"Movement: US-made Caliber 1003 mechanical movement manufactured and assembled in our Los Angeles studio from US and Swiss parts"

https://weisswatchcompany.com/products/american-made-weiss-watch

As I understand it, it's the qualifier "from US and Swiss parts" that's important to the FTC. Ginault can probably claim "Hand built in America from US and imported parts" if they've indeed assembled it in the US, and at least some of the parts are US made.

Discloser: I've bought one with the 55% discount, and I'll be posting my review on the main Ginault thread in f74 soon. tl;dr version: it's spectacular, and I would pay MSRP for it no matter what the provenance of the movement is.

Here's a just-snapped photo:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Well, as I noted above, Ginault says on their own website that key parts of the movement are sourced outside the US. So they don't meet the FTC standard for an unqualified "Made in USA" claim (as you and I understand that standard).

But that is not new info! That statement has been on the Ginault website at least from the time of their first post on WUS (which is when I first read it).

The part that surprises me is the claim that they're making the rest of the movement parts in the US. If they really are, good for them. If not, but they're making some of key parts in the US (cases alone may be enough), they can probably still make a qualified claim, similar to Weiss. So no matter what the truth is about the rest of the movement, I believe they can make a qualified claim of "Built in America from US and imported parts" if they're assembling them in the US.

And, legally, that's all they have to tell us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.