WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding cleaning a disassembled movement. Once it is completely taken apart, can you use an ultrasonic watch cleaner to clean the parts? If so, is there an advised way to separate the pieces into groups that would be amenable to being cleaned together? If it's inadvisable to use an ultrasonic, what's the most efficient way to go about cleaning the movement? One final question, how is one supposed to go about taking apart a movement for which their isn't, let's say, a YouTube video on? I understand that that's a naive question, but I'd regret not asking.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
1,295 Posts
I have an ultrasonic that is specifically designed for cleaning watches, so it has various baskets to use. Experience and training is what is needed for movements in which there aren't youtube videos (not to long ago there weren't any videos to watch).
Samantha

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
When I looked at youtube for taking apart watches, I realized that they are not as illustrated as they should be for a beginner. I bought me a pocket watch dvd repair course and totally different from a youtube video. There are a lot of parts to deal with, certain methods for removing some parts before other parts, and learning the function of each part. The experienced members here emphasized this to me in the beginning. Glad I took heed to their advice. I was thinking I could do this after watching a couple youtube videos. NO WAY!!!! I am just about finished with my course, still a little nervous about it, but I do have faith in my mechanical skills and the dvds in hand, to be able to accomplish what I intend to do.
As for cleaning parts, and more experienced members here will probably give their own advice, but in my videos, L&R wash and rinses are recommended. Some parts are ok for ultrasonics but some are not. Even as a very inexperienced beginner here, I recommend studying first!
Bobby

·
Registered
679 Posts
You may find it helpful to photograph the disassembly because in the beginning it's very easy to mix up screws, orientation of springs, and the location of bridges. From then on for every movement you disassemble you will rely less and less on the photos.

You may find it easy to keep each bridge, the screws, and the parts underneath grouped together as you are cleaning and putting back together. Eventually you will just mix it all together when you learn the parts as it can be a waste of time to separate some of them. A quality ultrasonic is helpful but doesn't beat hand cleaning. It took me a long time to learn this. I often pre-clean before putting in ultrasonic. Also, there is no substitute for pegging out each jewel. This is one of the most important steps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts