WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first I'd like to say that I do know that cleaning a watch dial is delicate thing and in many cases it should be left to professionals.

That said I purchased this late 1960's Geneve for my brother. It's from his birth year and I'm planning to give it to him as a gift when he is turning 50 in the near future.

Watch is seviced, clean and really nice Omega with superb 601 movement but as you can see there are few stains or scrubs on dial.

I really would love to get rid of those black "stripes" between 3 and 6 before I pass it on so what do you think? Those doesn't seem to be really deep or fatal but can they be removed carefully with babyoil or some other method?

Thanks again, all input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Please don't use baby oil on this, you'll regret it.

Dial cleaning is complicated – as you suggested – and under the circumstances you describe, I would leave it alone. If you want to research further, use the search facility here and you will discover a couple of long threads about dial cleaning.

But looking at the marks on the dial, no compelling logic suggests what would have made them (ie hands scraping dial, that sort of obvious thing) and the spots that appear around the dial are not typical of age-related patina; for all these reasons, I'd leave well enough alone. I suspect that some watch repair mishandling has damaged the dial's surface physically and I can only imagine that baby oil, spit and other folk remedies will make it worse.

The only "safe" thing I could think of is Rodico and even then be careful not to go over the printed minute markers or Genève/Omega printing, as you can lift them off the dial. Believe me, you can.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Agreed, if it is a stain, baby oil or soap won't remove it. And if it is a scuff mark, that can't be undone.

All told, the dial looks pretty good for its age. If we could all say the same about ourselves...

Reactions: Kaappikello

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I'd suggest leaving it as is.

Reactions: Kaappikello

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright, no babyoil or such. Thanks for warnings! And maybe nothing, but I do feel tempted to try at least Rodico...
It is a nice watch as it is but it would be so much more without those.
Thanks everybody, I'll have to give this a thought.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hello. Rodico tends to 'polish' this type of dial: not only will the scruff NOT be removed, but there will be a very noticeable, shiny area, around it=not nice!

I've long been a bit surprised that someone hasn't started a Business dealing with dial 'restoration' of original dials...many problems look not all that difficult to remedy, using specialized techniques--perhaps similar to those used in Museum conservation--in other words: with this Omega, the scruff could be rendered essentially invisible, where one to match the color of the surrounding area, and apply the 'restoration media' using a very fine ( brush? ), under a microscope. I've looked at many ww dials with my 28x B&L loupe ( two elements, 4x plus 7x, may be used singularly or in combination ), and I've seen many types of damage that certainly seem as if they could be addressed.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
There are a few places that do dial restoration. I haven't tried any, but these guys get good recommendations from other WUS users:
Kirk Rich Dial Corporation: Watch Dial Restoration

If you google watch dial restoration, there are others as well.
I don't think the OP's question was about redialing, which is not the same as dial cleaning. Not to mention, that the watch has a really nice dial, repainting which would be absolutely barbaric.

I've heard of that redial company before, and unfortunately I have also seen some of their lousy handiwork. On their website, the pictures with what's supposedly samples of their work can't even be enlarged- and call me paranoid, but I do believe that there is a reason for why one can't get a good glimpse of the quality of their work... One Omega that I have seen, and which I know to have been redialed by them, was such a reason. Even in these small, low-res pics on their site, it's not that hard to notice paint creeping up the hour markers, which means that they don't bother to take them off before repainting.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I think it looks great on this strap.

Now that I've noticed that- isn't it missing two holding screws?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts