WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Snowflake and am weary about scratching the Titanium. What do you use for cleaning the watch?Would you recommend a micro fibre cloth?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would worry less about titanium.
I care for and, if possible, wash my watches with warm water and a mild soap, without abrasives.
The watch is dried exclusively with fabrics made of pure cotton.
Especially with microfiber cloths, in my experience, streaks can occur, also called microswirls.
This is particularly noticeable under LED light or in sunshine on the polished surfaces of a GS.
Of course, also with watches from other manufacturers, only there the surfaces are not as beautifully polished as with GS.
So if stains or streaks are noticeable when wearing, wipe it with a damp cotton cloth.

But do not forget, watches should also wear😉

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Titanium doesn’t scratch easily unlike stainless steel. A good quality micro fibre cloth should do the work.

·
Premium Member
36,381 Posts
Use a blend of 70/30 micro fiber instead of the standard 80/20 mix most are. The blend on the 70/30 mix is not as aggressive.

Easy to find. Any good auto detailing site should have them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would leave smudges on the case as long as possible. No matter how soft the cloth is, it will still swirl around small abrasive particles on the case and cause microscratches— even on the titanium.

Scratching the zaratsu polishing is inevitable, but the occasional rinse and wipe with a microfiber should be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Titanium doesn’t scratch easily unlike stainless steel. A good quality micro fibre cloth should do the work.
I always thought it was the opposite: stainless steel is more scratch resistant than titanium. That’s why many titanium watches have treatments like tegementation to harden the surface and increase scratch resistance.

A Google search seems to confirm that.

“In short,high-quality stainless steel tends to be heavier and generally more scratch resistant while titanium watches are generally lighter and more comfortable.”

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
I always thought it was the opposite: stainless steel is more scratch resistant than titanium. That’s why many titanium watches have treatments like tegementation to harden the surface and increase scratch resistance.

A Google search seems to confirm that.

“In short,high-quality stainless steel tends to be heavier and generally more scratch resistant while titanium watches are generally lighter and more comfortable.”
Thanks for the into. My experience has been quite the opposite though with scratch resistance. I think it also depends on the grade of the titanium used.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
It's not the cloth, it's the contaminants. Every time you wipe, you scratch.

I've done some polishing. Scratches are large you can see, and microscopic. I had a highly polished tungsten weding ring. Bought it for that reason, won't scratch. Never took it off, wrenching, working... After many years, there are fine visible scratches, really fine... But the polish is just "dull". Titanium isn't nearly as hard, SS is soft.

I got my GS... Such perfect polish. I think looking at it scratched it. Started getting fine scratches immediately. I have never worked so hard to protect a watch, don't know what caused the scratches. We are talking fine, not "gouges". I finally got over it and just wore it.

Yes I have many micro cloths... Just like glasses, only use clean micro cloths... They still get scratched. Now I don't use cloth at all... NO wiping. I clean with windex and water. You can use soap, eindex just washed much cleaner, ammonia does better.... Pat dry... No wiping. I know over time, the polish will dull with micro scratches. I know fine scratches will happen, but it's still "polished", you have to look hard. No matter what, the more you wipe, the more you scratch.

It gets truly madning polishing with abrasives, down to sub micron levels, only to find how hard it is to keep cross contamination to zero. You darn near have to be in a clean room. Same thing with any polishing and using anything to wipe. Contaminates are on EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In my experience dry cleaning your watch does not do much (maybe except for the crystal). Even with the best microfibre the shine gets duller and duller because the watch accumulates oils from the skin. You also transform oils to the microfibre so over time it gets more and more dirty itself. The only real option is water + soap. The difference before and after is just night and day. And once it is completely clean you just wrap it with any soft cloth to dry it, there is no need to wipe anymore so it is safe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the into. My experience has been quite the opposite though with scratch resistance. I think it also depends on the grade of the titanium used.
Probably not the titanium itself but the oxide layer that forms scratches (more easily and visibly), which should be easily removable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts