WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a mudman g9300. I wore it while playing football in a muddy field ( hey, its a mudman! lol :p ) and well, my watch got soaked in the mud. I wanna clean it now. Before I open up a new G shock and unknowingly destroy it, I request the knowledgeable members of this forum to plz guide me on how to remove the case / bezel and clean my watch. And umm, one major question. should I remove the four screws at the base of the watch? Will it loosen the backplate? I dont know why its designed like that, but the back resin protector actually has got mud accumulated under it. its supposed to stop mud from going inside. weird! :-s thanks!

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I don't own this watch personally, but the thread linked below indicates that the caseback screws do secure the caseback resin cover.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/how-clean-truly-grungy-g-shock-2161474.html

What I don't know is if you remove the caseback screws (but not the caseback itself), remove the caseback resin cover, then secure the caseback screws, as alluded to in the thread linked above, is the watch still waterproof (for dunking in water and scrubbing off the dirt)? It would seem that without the caseback resin cover the screws will be too long to fully secure the caseback. And with a resin case, you don't want to over tighten the caseback screws, because this can strip the threads in the resin.

I'd wait till someone who knows more about this than I do responds before you proceed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I was hoping someone would chime in and give a definitive answer to your question, as well as a suitable plan of action.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
it should be fine. the thread on the screws dont go all the way to the head. theres a smooth section where the resin cover sits. so i would say it would be fine. if in doubt just press and hold firmly on to the backing plate as you wash and dry it |>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still not clear on how to remove the resin case for cleaning. I read that if I remove the 4 screws, the backplate also opens up. Then I'm supposed to grease it and put it back together. I obviously don't want that. I just want to remove the resin covering the backplate to clean it. If someone could give instructions on how to proceed, it would b helpful.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I'm still not clear on how to remove the resin case for cleaning. I read that if I remove the 4 screws, the backplate also opens up. Then I'm supposed to grease it and put it back together. I obviously don't want that. I just want to remove the resin covering the backplate to clean it. If someone could give instructions on how to proceed, it would b helpful.
I believe the bottom resin piece can be removed without touching the 4 case back screws. It's true for the G9000 series Mudman. Not 100% sure about the G9300 series Mudman, since I don't have one. Can the kind owners of G9300 here please confirm? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Don't take this as gospel but if the screws on your 9300 are anything like the ones Casio used on their old DW-002/003/004 for example, (these also had resin/rubber covers over the backplate), then you should be able to unscrew all 4, (I'd hold down the backplate while you do all of this), and take the cover off. Basically the screws on the old watches had a smooth upper section where the resin was, but this part was slightly wider than the threads so can be screwed back down to secure the backplate again without the cover on there.

Looking at images on Google of your watch, I'm not sure if the straps also need to come off to remove the back cover though?

HTH?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish the backplate was held down with 4 separate screws. I could've removed the bezel and the back resin case without worrying about the backplate getting lose and compromising on the water resistance of the watch.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I wish the backplate was held down with 4 separate screws. I could've removed the bezel and the back resin case without worrying about the backplate getting lose and compromising on the water resistance of the watch.
Unbelievable out of so many G9300/GW9300 owners here no one come forth to give some help. Good thing we have google, and here's a thread I've found of a member taking apart his G9300 for cleaning. From his pictures, it looks like the back resin piece can just be lifted off without removing the 4 back screws holding the backplate. You do however, have to remove the two halves of the strap and the top resin piece by removing the 4 lug screws and 4 case screws (4 on each side), in order to release the bottom piece. Very similar to the procedure for taking apart a G9000 series Mudman.

Full disclosure: I didn't know that the Mudman I found on eBay was a Smoky until I searched the model number again and saw all the posts about it. Also, the resin is definitely not gray anymore; it looks like dark olive to me. Could be due to how much abuse this one has gone through, or either the original owner replaced the resin from a different Mudman.

Here are pics of how the Mudman looked before cleaning. Note the paint specks all over. In addition to the mud. For information on how I cleaned it, here's my thread on cleaning the King I used to own: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cleaning-king-1370833.html .

Had to do a little more work on this one compared to the King because of how dirty it was, and the fact that you have the button covers to take off and clean as well. I didn't realize the button covers could come off until way later after the watch had dried, and it was late at night, so I didn't have time to take pictures of how much dirt was under there. There are a lot more nooks/crannies in general that dirt/mud can get into with this watch.

After cleaning:

9. With the resin from a regular 9300 on it. I have blue resin on my G9300 right now, so had the black resin just laying around. I do plan on getting the Smoky Gray resin from PacParts at some point.

Just goes to show how well the G9300 series can clean up and how good of a deal you can get on eBay if you're not afraid of spending some time on it. Also, there are some scratches on the glass, but not as many as you might think. I was very surprised by this.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Unbelievable out of so many G9300/GW9300 owners here no one come forth to give some help. Good thing we have google, and here's a thread I've found of a member taking apart his G9300 for cleaning. From his pictures, it looks like the back resin piece can just be lifted off without removing the 4 back screws holding the backplate. You do however, have to remove the two halves of the strap and the top resin piece by removing the 4 lug screws and 4 case screws (4 on each side), in order to release the bottom piece. That's a similar way for taking apart a G9000 series Mudman as well.
I had found this thread before too, but I wasn't clear on how the back resin was removed, so I didn't re-post it.

It still looks like there is a gap between the caseback screws and the caseback once the caseback resin cover is removed. Is the caseback actually secured to the gasket (and watertight) when this gap exists?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I had found this thread before too, but I wasn't clear on how the back resin was removed, so I didn't re-post it.

It still looks like there is a gap between the caseback screws and the caseback once the caseback resin cover is removed. Is the caseback actually secured to the gasket (and watertight) when this gap exists?
Well from Post #12 from the https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cleaning-dirty-smoky-mudman-g-9300gy-ebay-2536066-2.html#post21957114 thread, member Schwizzle said the following to answer another member's question.

One question... Does the backplate resin cover come off without removing the 4 screws????
Yep, check out my thread here where I talk about that on the King (GX56) and provide pictures showing how it slips over the screws. https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cleaning-king-1370833.html
So that gives some confirmation on the back resin removal. Also in his picture (see 3rd image below) of his King in the https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cleaning-king-1370833.html thread, it's showing just the non-threaded portion of the back screws being exposed and no "gap" presents.

...Now, about the back rubber piece covering the back plate:

I read on another post that you had to remove the screws to the back plate in order to remove the red rubber covering. I'm sure it's been said elsewhere, and so I'm saying it again here, you do not need to remove the back plate screws in order to remove the rubber covering. All you have to do is unscrew the two small screws on the middle-sides of the bezel (since that is how the rubber cover is anchored to the case) and then gently lift the cover off and over the back plate screws:

Reactions: GaryK30

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Well from Post #12 from the https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cleaning-dirty-smoky-mudman-g-9300gy-ebay-2536066-2.html#post21957114 thread, member Schwizzle said the following to answer another member's question.

So that gives some confirmation on the back resin removal. Also in his picture (see 3rd image below) of his King in the https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/cleaning-king-1370833.html thread, it's showing just the non-threaded portion of the back screws being exposed and no "gap" presents.
Thanks for the details.

So I guess there must be a flange or shoulder on those caseback screws that secures the caseback even though the underside of the screw head is clearly not in contact with the caseback. Very odd design.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Thanks for the details.

So I guess there must be a flange or shoulder on those caseback screws that secures the caseback even though the underside of the screw head is clearly not in contact with the caseback. Very odd design.
Yeah see my earlier reply, the screws are wider near the head to allow them to accommodate the rubber, therefore they hold the backplate down without the rubber being on the watch.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Unbelievable out of so many G9300/GW9300 owners here no one come forth to give some help.
geez man, what am i? dog vomit? haha
i didnt think i needed to go into great detail since its pretty straight forward. i also replied in the other thread but i guess my advice isnt up to the helpful standard lol

the back plate only opens if you let it. its not a pressure seal airlock lol so having the screws off wont suddenly make it not waterproof. yes, best practice is to grease the o ring but the grease on it lasts forever if youre not opening it up constantly and no waterproofing is lost if you do.

depending on how often youre cleaning it i dont think peeling the cover over the screws is a good idea. while you can do it, you prob shouldnt do it, just asking to have the holes stretch out, which by the sounds of it, is one more worry that you dont want on top of the ones you already have.

just take the screws off, take the cover off put the screws back on then clean. or if youre still worried, do one corner at a time, unscrew, lift cover, re-screw and so forth.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
geez man, what am i? dog vomit? haha
i didnt think i needed to go into great detail since its pretty straight forward. i also replied in the other thread but i guess my advice isnt up to the helpful standard lol

the back plate only opens if you let it. its not a pressure seal airlock lol so having the screws off wont suddenly make it not waterproof. yes, best practice is to grease the o ring but the grease on it lasts forever if youre not opening it up constantly and no waterproofing is lost if you do.

depending on how often youre cleaning it i dont think peeling the cover over the screws is a good idea. while you can do it, you prob shouldnt do it, just asking to have the holes stretch out, which by the sounds of it, is one more worry that you dont want on top of the ones you already have.

just take the screws off, take the cover off put the screws back on then clean. or if youre still worried, do one corner at a time, unscrew, lift cover, re-screw and so forth.
I guess the confusion is that some posters are saying you DO need to remove the caseback screws to remove the back resin cover while others are saying you DON'T need to do so. At least that's my interpretation of this thread, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Use a old toothbrush. Short of that let it soak in water to break down the dirt etc. It isn't that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread! Other hobbies/life took over and I stopped coming to the forum for a while. I'm glad my earlier posts could be helpful though.

To speak to soulbridgemedia's point....if you were going to be cleaning your Mudman a lot (monthly or more?).....I probably wouldn't be slipping the back resin over the screws either. However, if we are talking about doing a general cleaning once or twice a year.....as long as you remove the resin gently and replace it gently (and by gently I mean don't put direct pressure in the middle of the hole, but press on the resin around the screw head), it shouldn't wear out the resin.

Hmm.......it might be worth it to contact Casio and find out how they originally meant to remove that resin piece, just so we can all know....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts