WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I put this thread here instead of the public forum because I'm not sure how different straps are from different brands.

Tissot PRC 200... I've been trying to find out the best way to clean the black leather strap. The thing is that this strap is leather on the outside and something else on the inside, it's light brown and feels velvety? I don't know if that's common with watch straps. Should I cleanse the inside and outside of the strap differently?

Whilst I'm here, what is the best way to clean it with household items? Someone suggested tooth brush, white vinegar and water.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
OK I put this thread here instead of the public forum because I'm not sure how different straps are from different brands.

Tissot PRC 200... I've been trying to find out the best way to clean the black leather strap. The thing is that this strap is leather on the outside and something else on the inside, it's light brown and feels velvety? I don't know if that's common with watch straps. Should I cleanse the inside and outside of the strap differently?

Whilst I'm here, what is the best way to clean it with household items? Someone suggested tooth brush, white vinegar and water.
Vinegar and water and toothbrush should work for the case... but I'd use saddle soap for the leather. When cleaning leather you are trying to remove the dirt without removing the natural oils. Saddle soap is designed for this. It's mild enough to not harm.

There are leather 'replenishers' which can be used to restore these oils. You might not need them for the inside as it may not be leather. But the outside would like it occasionally.

·
5,111 Posts
Definitely saddle soap. You can usually find it in stores with a good supply of shoe polishes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that info. But one thing I'm still unclear about is the inside part of the strap (light brown, not made of leather), the bit that's always touching the skin and probably absorbs a lot of sweat. Do you use saddle soap for that as well?

·
5,111 Posts
Inner bands can be finished leather, suede, vinyl, cloth and probably other stuff as well. Saddle soap shouldn't damage any of them. It might make suede lose it's rough texture, but that can be brought back with a stiff brush or a Scotchbrite pad. If in doubt, try it on a small area first and see how it works.

V

·
0 Posts
I don't suggest vinegar due to its acidity.

Just wipe down with a damp cloth to take away the sweat and dirt.

Leave dry in a cool place (not in front of the fan).

Put it in the sun for 5 min or use a hairdryer and apply some leather conditioner/leather food after its warmed. You can find them in a good shoe store or online.

You should do this every 6 months or so if you wear your watch often. Else just apply conditioner every year or so to rejuvenate after the dry autumn/winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts