WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It might help if you were speaking the same "watch language" as the rest of us. ;-) The title makes it sound like you're cleaning the windows in your house.

The CRYSTAL is the piece of glass attached to the WATCH CASE. The MODULE is the electronics component inside the case.

On G-Shocks, the "bond" between the crystal and case is a thin plastic gasket, as in this picture: IMG_20130829_221246.jpg Photo by Asuncion_Family_Photos | Photobucket (from this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5600c-crystal-removal-906169.html )

Rubbing alcohol MIGHT interact with the plastic gasket or it might not, so why take a chance? Most of us here just use soap and water to clean all parts of our G-Shocks -- just make sure to rinse it well to get all the soap off, and excessively rubbing the watch while cleaning or drying it may start to make matte resin shiny.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll just see what happens lol.... If it breaks I'll buy another... it's only $90 ... I just hate configuring all the settings from out of the box....

I used hand sanitizer btw and a q-tip to get deep into the corners.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I guess I'll just see what happens lol.... If it breaks I'll buy another... it's only $90 ... I just hate configuring all the settings from out of the box....

I used hand sanitizer btw and a q-tip to get deep into the corners.
If you only did it a few times, you should be fine, but you probably don't need to do it every day -- stick with soap and water every once in a while, only when the watch needs it, and you'll be fine! :)

Which "corners?" If you're talking about the inside corners of the bezel (where the bezel touches the glass) and if you used a gel-type sanitizer, it might not even have reached the gasket.

But seriously -- your watch is water resistant to 200 meters of water pressure, so it can handle the shower. Just wear your watch into the shower once in a while IF it gets dirty, wash it with soap and water, and it should last for years.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
There is no need to use chemicals on your G-Shock.

I do what Mike has mentioned. If I just finished a workout I would be wearing whatever G-Shock I was using at the gym. I take it off and hold it under the bath faucet for a bit before I pull the diverter to the shower head. The high flow rate and warm temperature gets rid of any sweat, dirt, or oils that may be on the watch. I then put the watch in our shower caddy to dry off over night.

I have, however, lost track of watches in the caddy which leads to my significant other joking about there being multiple watches sitting in the shower. Something about me having a problem, or something.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It might help if you were speaking the same "watch language" as the rest of us. ;-) The title makes it sound like you're cleaning the windows in your house.

The CRYSTAL is the piece of glass attached to the WATCH CASE. The MODULE is the electronics component inside the case.

On G-Shocks, the "bond" between the crystal and case is a thin plastic gasket, as in this picture: IMG_20130829_221246.jpg Photo by Asuncion_Family_Photos | Photobucket (from this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5600c-crystal-removal-906169.html )

Rubbing alcohol MIGHT interact with the plastic gasket or it might not, so why take a chance? Most of us here just use soap and water to clean all parts of our G-Shocks -- just make sure to rinse it well to get all the soap off, and excessively rubbing the watch while cleaning or drying it may start to make matte resin shiny.
You are one of the few that still takes this guy's questions seriously. God bless you!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
What's crazy about my post? I was trying to get spots off of my watch crystal and tried rubbing alcohol... I should have stuck with soap and water.... whats wrong with my post?
I think you're wasting your time with alcohol: if the window is dirty, just throw away the watch and buy a new one, it's only $90 and brand new watches have perfectly clean windows and modules ! (well, if you buy online, you may receive a slightly dirty brand new watch, but in this most unlikely case, just order another one, after all it's only $90 !)
Best regards,
Your sincere friend lincruste

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think you're wasting your time with alcohol: if the window is dirty, just throw away the watch and buy a new one, it's only $90 and brand new watches have perfectly clean windows and modules ! (well, if you buy online, you may receive a slightly dirty brand watch, but in this most unlikely case, just order another one, after all it's only $90 !)
Best regards,
Your sincere friend lincruste
I was going to get a second one anyways. I'm not rich or anything. Most people here have like 10 watches...

I would only buy a new one if I damaged the water tight seal on the watch...

I was watching a Patek Philippe servicing video and they showed that the crystal was connected using some kind of glue... this is why I got worried...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was going to get a second one anyways.(...)
I would only buy a new one if I damaged the water tight seal on the watch...
Well that's perfect timing ! If you're buying a new one anyways, you DEFINITLY should wash the first one with alcohol. Make sure you scratch all the gunk out of the water tight seal with a very small steel screwdriver. Use a tiny hammer or sandpaper if the gunk is too hard to remove. If it destroys your watch window and module just wait for the other $90 watch to be delivered !
Best regards,
Your best friend in the universe lincruste

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Rostislav, no need to get another watch. And don't take some other people's comments too seriously, they are just joking around.

I used to clean my watches with rubbing alcohol, including my very first G-Shock (a GW330). I am not talking about just the crystal, but the whole watch I did! Part of the reasons was I used to do a lot of part time jobs in restaurants, and the watches tend to also get oily. But that obsession stopped as soon as I found out some resins / plastics actually react with the alcohol! So I would never do that again. My GW330's resin band still has some signs of the alcohol damage.

So, if you want to use alcohol, use very small amount on a tissue and only wipe the glass/crystal area with a few passes. That's it. Otherwise, just stick with soap and water.

Reactions: nb9001 and Mike K

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
PS: Here my friend, as english is not my mother tongue, a video tutorial which shows how to rub your window and module:
https://youtu.be/9pPKaP2MLC0
Good luck with your brand new $90 watch settings !

"'Chapeau' means 'hat.' 'Oeuf' means 'egg.' It's like those French have a different word for EVERYTHING!"

-- Steve Martin, A Wild and Crazy Guy

...and they've apparently got a different version of "rickrolling" too! :-!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I clean my watches with the mildest baby soap and toothbrush with the softest bristles. I rub the soap on the glass, bezel and case back with my fingers and use the soft toothbrush for the bands. After rinsing the watch, i wipe the excess water with a microfiber towel. So fresh and so clean ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts