WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have never attempted a good cleaning of my Le Locle. What would be the best way to go about cleaning it? The glass on the back is dirty in the corners where it meets the metal and I guess it basically has a lot of dust, dirt, and dead skin particles built up in the cracks as I never take the thing off.

Thanks for the help! Not really looking to buy anything so hopefully whatever is best with what I would have at home.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
1) Soap and water with a tooth brush
2) Mother's Instant Car Detailer and a microfiber cloth (trust me - works great)

3) An ultrasonic cleaner made for jewelery or medical/dental use with soapy water. BUT - don't do it on a watch you suspect of having bad seals (older than 3 years would be my guess on a Lelocle, 5 years on a diver), plateing in poor condition. People freak out over this but I've done it for over 30 years without problems. From Seiko's through Tissot's, Omega's and Rolexes. Have yet to have a leak in over a few hundred cleanings.

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
Being more than a bit neurotic I would be very reluctant to get water anywhere near my Le Locle. The bracelet can be cleaned using soap and water and a soft toothbrush or even an ultrasonic cleaner. The head, however, I would clean with a dry toothbrush and a microfibre cloth.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I have washed my Le Locle once before with soapy water and it is fine in the water. I don't know about the ultrasonic cleaner though. Not knowing anything about that, it won't messed with the internal movements would it?

Looks like I need to find a toothbrush!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Many people fear them but they have been used to clean watch internals for many years. However, the "ultrasonic waves" (action, or what have you) are transmitted through the liquid medium - since your watch is bone dry inside there will be no danger of damage. If there is still concern, you can - as sticky suggested - take the watch "head" off the bracelet and simply toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner - best way to clean one!

Tooth brushes have several home uses - watch cleaning, cleaning car parts, scrubbing grout, etc every toolbox and scrub bucket should have one. Not sure where the name comes from though, maybe from the little tooth shaped ridges that the rows of bristles create?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts