WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have just bought this clock and was hoping someone could identify it. It has uw32068b and 1261604 engraved on the back of the mechanism housing. It is a tempus fugit.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. Nice looking fairly recent clock. With no dial markings I wonder if this might have started out as some kind of kit clock.

That movement was made by the Urgos movement company in Germany.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i picked it up today for $30 and would like to try find a manual or pdf about it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
You got a deal. The clock dates from the 1970's to 1980's when the Tempus Fugit dial was very popular. The paper owners manual would have been fairly brief. Unfortunately most of those companies have closed so getting a copy will be a challenge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I have no idea how to get it running as I know nothing about clocks. At the moment the pendulum is swinging and the time is changing but it is not chiming, it is not set to silent. The weights don't seem to be moving either

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
I nelieve it has three weights. If so it should strike the hour and chime or play something like Westminster. Are the weights pulled up?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
Pull the center one up. Then slowly advance the hands and pause at the half hour and hour. Do you hear anything like the mechanism trying to run?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes thats exactly what happens. I lift the center weight and can slowly advance the minute hand to the half hour and can hear the mechanism moving

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is running. Time passes in accordance with the pendulum swings. But when it comes to the hour it does not make any noise as expected.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is running. Time passes in accordance with the pendulum swings. But when it comes to the hour it does not make any noise as expected.
The center weight is for the time and the outer two weights are for the chime and strike.
They are not dropping because the chime & strike are not working. I would look to be sure nothing is binding, etc?
Look at the movement just before (like 30 seconds before) it should go into a chiming sequence and see if you see a lever drop or anything move.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
I can think of a couple of things. In order:
1. Some movements have a lever that lifts the strike and chime hammers. Check near the hammers for something holding them back.
2. Sometimes the winding chain can get off track and bind up on the winding barrel. See if the strike and chime chains look like they are tracking as the time chain is.
3. If those don't work then it's time to check the movement over. Old dried oil may be keeping the strike and chime trains from running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts