WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my SRPE55 after 6 months of (almost) daily use. I only remove it when I shower and when I'm exercising. Pretty much all of these are from slamming it into doorways, because my spatial awareness is only set juuuust above the minimum requirement for survival. I knew this was going to happen, which is one (of several) reasons why I wear a Seiko 5 and not something in the € 4k+ price bracket. A G-shock would probably be more suited to my "lifestyle", but they're big, bulky and I don't like plastics.

The rest of you klutzes and poorly coordinated bags of flesh, what do you wear? Do you try to actively overcome your natural instinct to bang into everything and everyone? Have you gone the plastic route? The case-hardened Damasko solution? Or have you bit the bullet, bought your grail and accepted every nasty ding and scratch as battle scars?

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Watch accessory

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I wear watches and sometimes they get scratched. Happens, I regret my stupidity and then scratch again.
I'm active, so my daily watches get dings and scratches. It used to bother me. Doesn't anymore.

It actually saves me money, since I don't mind buying secondhand with light visible wear.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
At work I'm less likely to damage my watches, so I wear my nicer ones to work. I wear my beater/more affordable watches when I'm not at work because I bump into stuff from time to time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I gave up on worrying about scratches, dings and dents on any of my current watches. I can't count the number of times I hit door jambs. Wear your beat up watches like a badge of honor.

Reactions: StrangeQuark

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I’ll preface this by saying scratches don’t bother me. I wear watches, and considering how many scars I have on my hands, i figure the watches are going to get some too.

Look for a watch that’s made with a good hardening treatment. It can help prevent that. I wear this all the time, including in the ocean, paddling (canoe/kayak in the summer), on hikes and rock scrambles, and it doesn’t live in a box or case. Sits on a night stand with a bunch of other watches. I have a Swiss dive watch i often rotate with this, also a great watch, but the clasp is pretty scratched up. This is toward the higher end of what I’m prepared to spend, by the way.

Hand Hood Reptile Finger Scaled reptile

Gesture Gadget Everyday carry Clock Tints and shades

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Watch accessory

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Finger

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

·
Registered
0 Posts
I still have issues with scratching my watches! After twenty five years of collecting I always told myself it would go away and I will be able to accept it! But I guess I have gained a heightened awareness of my surroundings but it bugs me to be this way!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I consider minor scratches and dings part and parcel of watch ownership. By this point my Speedy looks like it could have gone to the moon and back.

I wore a Damasko for awhile and the scratch resistance on that thing was phenomenal. However, it's not otherwise my favourite brand and life is too short to only wear scratch resistant watches. Also, no scratch resistant watch is going to defeat rocks. Paper beating rock is BS. Rock wins all the time.

Also, I have developed an instinct for getting my watch arm out of the way when in the vicinity of other objects or people. If I'm forced to walk next to a wall or some rocks etc, I have my fingers extended so they touch the wall before my watch does. It's probably not the most manly way to walk but I already have a wife so I don't really care.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Consider getting into a tool watch like a diver or chronograph. That way the dings and scratches just add character.

Reactions: Lugan

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
If doorways are a major problem, you might consider an eye exam and pair of glasses! This is only half in jest as I know people who weren't aware of their vision issues until they got a real prescription and experienced how the rest of us, literally, see the world.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
I wear my watches carefully - for instance, I have a habit of tapping door frames with my fingers as I pass through them; this way I know my watch is safe (pretty OCD, hey?) - and so I accept the scratches that do occur despite my best intentions as normal wear and tear that add character.

Having said that, I have been mulling over a Traska Summiteer with super hard coating - a compelling differentiator at such an affordable price.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
G Steel. Nice heft, mostly metal, and take take a beating. The Damasko suggestion is a good one too, I had a DC66 for a while with their DLC coating and it got banged into all sorts of stuff including rock walls. Never had a single scratch.

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

1 - 20 of 42 Posts