WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at my five or six month old G8900-1 this morning and I thought there was some sort of discoloration around the bezel. Usually i see these things and I am able to wipe them off with my hand but this time it wouldn't come off. After closer inspection, it seems to be the coating coming off at the corner. Don't know what could have caused this, I don't misuse this watch at all or toss it around like my older G's. I do sometimes put it down face down but the part where the coating is coming off doesn't make contact with any surface I put it on at all.

I lost my last G-shock, a 9052 which I kept for over two years and it was in pristine condition. I don't know if this is a common occurrence or specific to some models, maybe a quality control thing?

Here are some pics, I don't know if this is something I can have taken back to the service center to have re-coated. It's a small thing but it annoys the crap out of me especially considering how careful i've been with it.

IMG_6327 1.jpg

IMG_6329 1.jpg

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
That is a rub mark whick has caused the mattt surface to go shiny.

It has happened to mine as well. I don't think you can do much about it. Some people say you can minimise it by rubbing it with a pencil rubber but that didn't work for me.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood how G-Shocks are designed. The bezel is merely a protective cover to protect the case and internals, it may wear down, lose it's surface patina, gain some scratches and gouges and that is what it is designed to do. The bezel is designed to take the beating so the case and workings keep on going fully protected.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That does suck - kinda like babying your new car and then suffering that first parking lot door ding. But you get over it and it sorta sets you free from worry from that point on. The cool thing about G-Shocks is that they're not some expensive piece of mechanical art - if it really bugs enough you can decide to buy another one and use this one as the stunt double :).

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
That does suck - kinda like babying your new car and then suffering that first parking lot door ding. But you get over it and it sorta sets you free from worry from that point on. The cool thing about G-Shocks is that they're not some expensive piece of mechanical art - if it really bugs enough you can decide to buy another one and use this one as the stunt double :).
That's the spirit!

Cheers,

Sjors

PS: Damage and dust looks always much worse with macro's ;-)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree with you, it kind of sucks to get that first ding in a new car. But, I also agree that G's are made to be worn and be worn down. Wear it with pride! when it gets too dinged up then its time to get a new one and mod this one!

EDIT: if you are dead set on "repairing" this I would buy one of those cans of rubberized spray paint (black of course)... you may just find that you can touch it up with a toothpick or small brush that you load up with paint. Just an idea, IDK. it would take time/money to find the right match but if it means that much I think that's what I would do to try to fix it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@dobber - Thanks for explaining the uses of a watch bezel, which until today had remained a mystery to me... Seriously, there isn't much to be misunderstood about these things except for how something designed to take a beating would show signs of wear like this after minimal use.

Thanks guys for your input. I never did get over that ding that I got on my first car some years ago... My issue is with the coating coming off, or coming off so easily. I'm pretty sure it's not a result of contact against any other surface. I've been careful with this particular watch and I check it everytime I bump it against a door frame or railings on the bus etc... It's usually the front part of the bezel that makes contact anyway as the part with the coating coming off is slightly raised and at an angle that it's not usually the first part to come into contact with anything.

Anyways, I've looked more closely and I've noticed some of the other corners start to show similar signs but to a lesser extent. This after only 6 months.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It does actually look like a surface layer in the pics, so please once it's progressed a bit post another shot here. This would annoy me if it were my watch as well - typically in my experience Casio resin takes mild abrasion and impact in it's stride without marking at all. It would be a pity if that is changing.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Painting a bezel will work for only a few hours of use at the most before it comes off.
Straps and bezels are made of high quality Poly Urethane. It's a resin which glue and paint can't get a grip on. Notice that caps of a tube of glue are also made of Poly Urethane because of this.

cimg4682-super-glue-tube.jpg

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does actually look like a surface layer in the pics, so please once it's progressed a bit post another shot here. This would annoy me if it were my watch as well - typically in my experience Casio resin takes mild abrasion and impact in it's stride without marking at all. It would be a pity if that is changing.

I'll be sure to do that, if I don't end up giving it away or selling it on. I'll also try to take pics of the other corners which are starting to show signs of the coating coming off.

Don't know if this means anything but I tried lightly scratching the area to see if more would come of but it didn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts