WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I was recently given a huge number of foreign and old coins that I have no idea what to do with. I know that most likely there aren't any gems hidden in there but upon a very surface inspection of the lot, it seems that most of the coins are worth something (Maybe $1 to $5) There are a huge number of coins in this jar so I assume the lot is worth something. Could be $100 could be $1000 worth of coins in this jar. Is it worth taking them to a shop and have them appraised? What would that cost? Should I take them to a bank? Is it realistic that I could do it by myself even though I have no knowledge or coins and there are a huge number of them?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
23 Posts
For starters, US coins 1964 and earlier (dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars) are silver so have quite a bit of value right there. Earlier foreign coins were also silver but you’d have to look them up on the web. If they are all circulated, they won’t have much value unless they are key dates. But starting with silver is one way to get an idea.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,
I'll start to dig through my collection to see if there might be anything of value. Is there a website or service that I could use to find out the value of the coins as I start to dig through them?

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can usually google some of the words on the coins, if any, and get results. I had a bunch of old coins I inherited and that is what I did. I was able to find numerous sources just from gooogling the words + the word coin.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can usually google some of the words on the coins, if any, and get results. I had a bunch of old coins I inherited and that is what I did. I was able to find numerous sources just from gooogling the words + the word coin.
Oh, interesting. I guess I'll probably start building a spreadsheet to see if I can keep track of the coins as I start sorting them. At what point might it be worthwhile to just get the whole lot appraised and pay someone to do it for me? How much might I expect an appraisal to cost?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,

Coins=I'm not the guy. But, if you also got a bunch of collectible stamps, I can help.
Haha, I'll keep you in mind if I ever come across a stamp collection.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Try silverbugs over at reddit. Unless they are silver, war nickles, or wheat pennies. They usually are worth much. Oh yeah pgcs is a grading company but they are expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try silverbugs over at reddit. Unless they are silver, war nickles, or wheat pennies. They usually are worth much. Oh yeah pgcs is a grading company but they are expensive
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These coins I have are not going to be worth much. Maybe $1-$15 a coin but I have a ton of them which is why I am wondering if paying someone to sort and appraise them is the way to go. I don't need grading, I just want to know what they are worth haha and the work to do that myself is a little daunting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Help!

I was recently given a huge number of foreign and old coins that I have no idea what to do with. I know that most likely there aren't any gems hidden in there but upon a very surface inspection of the lot, it seems that most of the coins are worth something (Maybe $1 to $5) There are a huge number of coins in this jar so I assume the lot is worth something. Could be $100 could be $1000 worth of coins in this jar. Is it worth taking them to a shop and have them appraised? What would that cost? Should I take them to a bank? Is it realistic that I could do it by myself even though I have no knowledge or coins and there are a huge number of them?

Thanks for any input!
go to the bank and change them to dollars.
buy a watch with whatever the amount comes out to. grab a beer. thank me and send me one as well.
done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like you want easy and easy is to get melt value for the silver contained in the coins. Know what you have, it's not hard and calculate what you should get based on melt value of silver. Bid price for an ounce of silver is $15.03/oz USD as of this post.

The graded ones sell on eBay.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts