WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my unwritten rule for about the last 10 years has been to not buy more than one model of a brand. My thought being there are so many brands and models that I am attracted to that I want to have a diverse watch experience without becoming a flipper.

Having over 80 watches, I, of course, do have multiple models of a couple of brands. With that said, I am now at a point where I am beginning to question this philosophy. There are still a few brands/models I want to pick-up like Rolex Deepsea or Datejust ii(the only watch I ever sold was my Rolex Datejust over 20 years ago), RGM 801A, JLC, AP, and a couple of microbrands.

However, some of these purchases are obviously down the line due to price. As I move toward these purchases, I find myself considering purchases of brands I have and love like Sinn 6100 Regulateur or 556, Zenith Ultra Thin Small Seconds, Omega Aqua Terra, or Kobold SOA.

Anyway, what are some thoughts on this collecting philosophy? Silly? Should I abandon it?.....

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
If this has worked for you for a decade, you might consider using it as a guideline rather than a hard-and-fast rule. This is after all, a hobby, and you should do what pleases you rather than closely adhere to a rule which is fundamentally arbitrary anyway. You have a certain methodology that works for you, but it is not holy writ. Relax, put your feet up. Enjoy it all.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Even with 80 watches and 80 different brands you'll have some duplication in style. So I don't see any problem in buying a second or third one of the same brand. I have a number of Elgins of various types.

Reactions: bacari

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this has worked for you for a decade, you might consider using it as a guideline rather than a hard-and-fast rule. This is after all, a hobby, and you should do what pleases you rather than closely adhere to a rule which is fundamentally arbitrary anyway. You have a certain methodology that works for you, but it is not holy writ. Relax, put your feet up. Enjoy it all.
Even with 80 watches and 80 different brands you'll have some duplication in style. So I don't see any problem in buying a second or third one of the same brand. I have a number of Elgins of various types.
Solid advice and perspective from two members I have a great deal of respect for. Thank you gentlemen.

I especially like the "Relax, put your feet up. Enjoy it all." I'm all about relaxation and enjoying the moment!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
80 watches? minimal brand repeats? you could have easily accomplished the alphabet thread guy's challenge, and you only needed to buy 26!

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Rules change, games change. I say abandon it.

Reactions: bacari and Bwana1

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ok, so my unwritten rule for about the last 10 years has been to not buy more than one model of a brand. My thought being there are so many brands and models that I am attracted to that I want to have a diverse watch experience without becoming a flipper.
Some brands have such a vast range of offerings that you could potentially have as diverse an experience intra-brand as you could inter-brand. Look at JLC. If you had a Memovox or a Master Control, but were interested in (and could afford) a Duomètre, there would be no good reason in my mind to skip it just because you already had a JLC. That would be too limiting in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I'm sure you don't have any respect for me, but I'll give you my advice anyway.

I'd abandon the philosophy, find a method suits your needs/tastes/budget. You can still find plenty of diversity within the same brand, just need to define the diversity that YOU crave. To have 10 "identical" pilot watches with black dials, with a different Brand on them...probably won't push the "enjoyment factor". Finding your diversity "O" is essential, otherwise the flippaholic in your will never go to AA. Finding pieces that fit the puzzle, yet stand the test of time (enjoyment & iconic) should be your grail quest.

We all have to set limits on collections, otherwise pieces are never used or enjoyed.

Reactions: TimeSaver

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure you don't have any respect for me, but I'll give you my advice anyway.

I'd abandon the philosophy, find a method suits your needs/tastes/budget. You can still find plenty of diversity within the same brand, just need to define the diversity that YOU crave. To have 10 "identical" pilot watches with black dials, with a different Brand on them...probably won't push the "enjoyment factor". Finding your diversity "O" is essential, otherwise the flippaholic in your will never go to AA. Finding pieces that fit the puzzle, yet stand the test of time (enjoyment & iconic) should be your grail quest.

We all have to set limits on collections, otherwise pieces are never used or enjoyed.
Very solid advice. You are absolutely correct. As an example, I have a Sinn U1 that is very different from the 6100 I crave. So, many brands have great diversity and there is opportunity in that fact alone.

By the way, I do respect you and I especially have always had a high regard for your profile picture!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I really admire the people who have the discipline to collect watches based on "themes" (vintage military, vintage chrono., etc.), "eras" (eg. only watches from the 1950s or '60s) or brands ... I suppose I end up buying the watches that appeal to me on that particular day.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Here are some new philosophies you could apply:

1. Purchase only Submariner homage watches. The more the better. Every microbrand and mushroom brand imaginable.

2. Begin a Rolex or Patek collection. This seems to be an end-game for many.

3. Become this guy: Insane Watch Collection

4. Consider your collection done and take up a new hobby.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Whether you have a theme like 40s and 50s watches or a vintage brand focus you can still get a good variety in a collection.
For example, Elgin was in business for close to 100 years and made all kinds of products:
I have an 1893 working man's watch that has "Elgin National Watch Company" block printed on the dial, a 1904 Art Nouveau style dial, a 1909 long stem 16S with only Elgin as the brand name on the dial, a 1947 Elgin Deluxe windup wristwatch. Still lots of room for Railroad grade, Lord Elgins, B W Raymond wristwatches grade 730A or Grades 760 and 761 (the only Elgin US automatics.)

[ELGIN] Forgotten Masterpieces: The Last Elgins

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Some brands just have multiple models that are clearly worth owning. For example, would anyone be able to fault you for owning a Rolex Submariner, Datejust, and Daytona? What about a Calatrava and a Nautilus?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Please see my signature....

Sell some, buy some, you'll be fine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
More than one model from a brand?

The horror! The horror!

Rick "who could open his own Ebel store" Denney

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I once had a similar rule and I shredded it. Some brands simply make more than 1watch that appeals to you.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Very solid advice. You are absolutely correct. As an example, I have a Sinn U1 that is very different from the 6100 I crave. So, many brands have great diversity and there is opportunity in that fact alone.

By the way, I do respect you and I especially have always had a high regard for your profile picture!
So you don't respect my versatile watch collection, dry sarcastic humor, or witty knowledgeable advice ?...you just want my only "hall pass" woman, blessing approved by the wife :-d

1402314.jpg

I think as individuals (taste, style, value) we have to decide what we really like & enjoy. If you find yourself passing up the same watch, when it's her turn in the rotation...it's time to dump it. Price is irrelevant, if you don't enjoy it...time to pass it on. If you can't find a piece you want to buy, then it's not time...wait till you see something you admire, and will fit your tastes & lifestyle.

The only watches that get a pass from me, are family pieces with emotional value (Dad's watch).

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More than one model from a brand?

The horror! The horror!

Rick "who could open his own Ebel store" Denney
Rick "you're my hero" Denney!

Who could ever fault your Ebel collection with the deals you got on those beauties!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Lots of very sound advice...all from members I also respect (but it's true, some have better avatars than others);-).

It's hard to sometimes remember that it's not just a "collection", but a source of function and enjoyment. There are sooo many watches out there that I'd love to have, many within the same brand, so duplication is inevitable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts