WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I'm curious how my fellow WIS approach collecting watches. Do you just buy what you like when you see it? Do you have a list of checkboxes that you check off with your collection? Do you have some other goals or criteria?

Allow me to present my approach.

I find that having a large quantity of watches is too burdensome for these reasons:
- Takes space to store (esp. including box sets),
- More to insure (for higher-value watches),
- You wear them less often (due to rotation),
- Automatics inevitably stop due to not being wound, making you wind them again when you wear them, and manuals require daily winding,
- Astronomical service costs to keep them all running safely.

Now, being a typical WIS with (colloquially speaking) OCD, of course I have a list of checkboxes for "features" that I would like to include in my collection.

Therefore, my primary goal in collecting is to check all the boxes with the minimum number of watches.

My checkboxes (X = checked, / = half-checked)
X - Manual
X - Automatic
X - Chronograph
X - Moonphase Complication
X - Diver-style (not necessarily a true dive watch)
X - Casual Sport
/ - Nicely Decorated Movement (with display back)
- Haute Horlogerie
/ - Ceramic
X - Exotic Materials
/ - Precious Metals
/ - Historical Relevance
/ - Prestige
X - Looks Good on Leather (in MY opinion)

Some secondary boxes that it'd be nice to check, too, but are less important to me:
- Germany
- Japan
- High-tech (Spring Drive, for instance)
- Independent (FP Journe, Dufour, etc.)

Right now, my collection (not counting watches I have up for sale) looks like this:
- Omega AT8500 "Skyfall": Automatic, Casual Sport, Nicely Decorated Movement (barely)
- Omega Speedmaster Professional Aventurine Moonphase: Manual, Chronograph, Moonphase Complication, Ceramic (bezel only), Exotic Materials (aventurine dial, mother of pearl moons), Historical Relevance (slight and indirect), Looks Good on Leather
- Rolex Yacht-Master 116622 (SS/Platinum, blue dial): Automatic, Diver-style, Precious Metals, Prestige (just barely, since it's Rolex)

An example of my thought process:

The only box not checked by my collection is Haute Horlogerie (and Prestige is only barely covered by a Rolex). For this reason, I'm thinking about eventually getting rid of the Skyfall AT and the Yacht-Master and saving up for a Patek Nautilus 5711/1A-010, which would cover Automatic, Casual Sport, Nicely Decorated Movement, Haute Horlogerie, and Prestige in a single watch.

Come to think of it, maybe I should sell everything and get a Nautilus 5712, which would cover Automatic, Moonphase Complication, Casual Sport, Nicely Decorated Movement, Haute Horlogerie, Prestige, and Looks Good on Leather...but then I would be missing Manual, Chronograph, Diver-style, Ceramic, Exotic Materials, Precious Metals, and Historical Relevance. Or, I could get an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu, which would cover Manual, Nicely Decorated Movement, Haute Horlogerie, Exotic Materials (tantalum, whatever the dial is made of), Precious Metals (gold movement), Looks Good on Leather, and Independent...but, it wouldn't cover...etc.

You can see how this is a tricky game, trying to check the most boxes with the fewest watches, especially with a limited budget. :p And of course there's always the factor of "oh wow, I really like this watch even though it's not part of my collecting scheme." Basically, the constant internal fight of "watch nerd" vs. "personal taste"!

How do YOU collect?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Wow, that is waaaay too much thought for me. I buy what catches my eye. I don't mind repeats because if there is something I like, there is nothing wrong with having repetitive characteristics.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
This.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Wow, that is waaaay too much thought for me. I buy what catches my eye. I don't mind repeats because if there is something I like, there is nothing wrong with having repetitive characteristics.

and a 3rd THIS……….. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
I collect vintage pieces and here I wanted movements made by other countries, I havent the funds to do this with modern pieces so stick to vintage pieces, also wanted pieces from an era eg pocket watch, trench watch tuning fork etc

·
Registered
424 Posts

Yep.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,026 Posts
I fully agree with OP in approach.

Yes, I keep a list of my future watch plans and edit it from time to time.

My checkboxes, order is not significant:

1. The watch should 'sing' to me, to be on my wave
2. No noble metals, SS or Ti
3. Casual style - because I never wear a suit
4. Price: should be sensitive. I mean, the price must correspond chorologic significance. I like some IWC models but not ready to pay the prices they require. Bottom line: up to $10K for regular watch, maybe $15K once in a lifetime.
5. Legibility is mandatory, time should be clear at a glance
6. AR coating - the must.
7. WR, preferably from 10 bar and up. Here I can compromise if a watch is outstanding in other aspects
8. I am accuracy freak, so I am trying to get as much information on accuracy as I can before pulling the trigger. For this reason hacking seconds is preferable.
9. Size. 42mm as a minimum.
10. Good lume
11. Heirloom value.
12. Local service center

Now then, more or less.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. The watch should 'sing' to me, to be on my wave
2. No noble metals, SS or Ti
3. Casual style - because I never wear a suit
4. Price: should be sensitive. I mean, the price must correspond chorologic significance. I like some IWC models but not ready to pay the prices they require. Bottom line: up to $10K for regular watch, maybe $15K once in a lifetime.
5. Legibility is mandatory, time should be clear at a glance
6. AR coating - the must.
7. WR, preferably from 10 bar and up. Here I can compromise if a watch is outstanding in other aspects
8. I am accuracy freak, so I am trying to get as much information on accuracy as I can before pulling the trigger. For this reason hacking seconds is preferable.
9. Size. 42mm as a minimum.
10. Good lume
11. Heirloom value.
12. Local service center
I actually agree with almost all of these points and didn't even realize that they're also firm criteria for my collecting, beyond my list of checkboxes.

Watches must sing to me, too. I like noble metals in small quantities (bezel or rotor, for example) but not for the whole watch. I also prefer casual style because I never wear a suit, though more dressy watches that would still look good worn casually are fine. I feel similarly about price but will extend if I really like the watch. Legibility is important for me, but I am flexible if I like the style a lot. AR coating is a toss up for me -- I prefer it, but it won't stop me from buying a watch (see: Rolex). I feel the same about WR and accuracy as you do. For size, I have tiny wrists, so I can't wear very large watches, but I also can't put a number on it because different watches wear very differently. I don't care much about lume because it never seems to work for very long anyway and it doesn't charge in most lighting situations I'm in. Local service center is always important.

Reactions: Alex_TA

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with the OP on thinking things over, I however don't use checkboxes to tick off.

Personally I aim to diversify my collection to have an iconic watch from several bigger brands (designwise and/or with historical importance,...). While still liking the watch and brand and looking at smaller sized pieces. On the other hand I'm looking to build a side collection of vintage Omegas (mostly Speedmasters)

My rather small main collection is:

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 15 40th Anniversary (2012)
Rolex Explorer I (2008)

My side collection contains of two other watches namely:

Omega Speedmaster cal. 1620 lcd Quartz (1979)
Omega Genève cal. 601 (late '60s)

In the future I'm interested in other iconic watches such as the AP Royal Oak, Jlc Reverso, Patek Philippe Calatrava, IWC Mark XV Automatic, Zenith El Primero, Heur Carrera and Seiko SKX007 (imo also sort of iconic).

It strikes me that most of these watches have black dials, I guess that's what floats my boat :p

Cheers,

NielsZ

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I agree with the OP on thinking things over, I however don't use checkboxes to tick off.

Personally I aim to diversify my collection to have an iconic watch from several bigger brands (designwise and/or with historical importance,...). While still liking the watch and brand and looking at smaller sized pieces. On the other hand I'm looking to build a side collection of vintage Omegas (mostly Speedmasters)

My rather small main collection is:

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 15 40th Anniversary (2012)
Rolex Explorer I (2008)

My side collection contains of two other watches namely:

Omega Speedmaster cal. 1620 lcd Quartz (1979)
Omega Genève cal. 601 (late '60s)

In the future I'm interested in other iconic watches such as the AP Royal Oak, Jlc Reverso, Patek Philippe Calatrava, IWC Mark XV Automatic, Zenith El Primero, Heur Carrera and Seiko SKX007 (imo also sort of iconic).

It strikes me that most of these watches have black dials, I guess that's what floats my boat :p

Cheers,

NielsZ
Great minds think alike. My main criteria are:

-One "Flagship" watch from each make
-Historical significance
-Unique feature/complication (Chrono, diver, vintage, GMT etc).

My current collection is in my sig (Explorer 1, Speedy Pro, vintage Seamaster, Steinhart GMT, Armida A8 for those viewing on a phone etc).

I would like to add a JLC Reverso and a Navitimer to the collection in the next 5 years or so, and will try and replace the Steinhart with a Rolex GMT IIc if they ever make a ceramic coke bezel.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
-One "Flagship" watch from each make
-Unique feature/complication (Chrono, diver, vintage, GMT etc).
This is a cool approach, one flagship from each make. Tempting for me, too, though it conflicts with my desire to have the minimum possible number of watches. I think the minimum number of watches criterion will win out in the end due to expense, storage, service, etc. I also think if I had a Patek Nautilus, for instance, then I might not want to wear anything else. :p

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My only hard and fast rules are...

1. It must be a dive watch (for daily wear) or a pocket watch (for formal wear)

2. I only want to have one watch from a manufacturer at any given time (for a bit of diversity)

3. I only want to have one watch with a certain movement at any given time (again, for diversity)

Besides this, anything goes. That said, I tend to stay within my comfort zone of 40-44mm, but I could buy something larger if it felt right.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Whatever I can afford, that is to say, whatever won't take me 100 years to save up for :D hehehehe If I could I'd buy it all mu hahahahhaaha :D

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,026 Posts
I don't care much about lume because it never seems to work for very long anyway and it doesn't charge in most lighting situations I'm in.
I must agree with you on lume. I love my PO lume but understand that if I will insist on this level of lume I'll never exit the circle of dive watches :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I must agree with you on lume. I love my PO lume but understand that if I will insist on this level of lume I'll never exit the circle of dive watches :)
As if there's anything wrong with that ;-)

Reactions: Alex_TA
1 - 16 of 16 Posts