WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: Colors at depth

Nope. UV is short wavelengths up to about 400nm, with visual being from 400nm to about 700nm and infra red (near than far) above that. the absorption is much higher in the shorter wavelengths than in the longer ones. The bottom or short wavelength of the visual region is violet and the long end is red to Near IR. THats just the absorption physics talking for photons penetrating versus depth. Factor in your eye's sensitivity and that blues and greens are affected as the water is sort of that color?? you could mathmatically determine the best wavelength. One issue is that the physics knows jack about how the brain works so a non optimal color or combination may work best. I have no idea myself. I just wanted to make sure folks knew that a UV assisted florescences (sp) was not gonna help alot. interesting thread. cheers all
Good stuff Paul, but what's the reason then for the excellent performance of fluorescence?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Nope. UV is short wavelengths up to about 400nm, with visual being from 400nm to about 700nm and infra red (near than far) above that. the absorption is much higher in the shorter wavelengths than in the longer ones. The bottom or short wavelength of the visual region is violet and the long end is red to Near IR. THats just the absorption physics talking for photons penetrating versus depth. Factor in your eye's sensitivity and that blues and greens are affected as the water is sort of that color?? you could mathmatically determine the best wavelength. One issue is that the physics knows jack about how the brain works so a non optimal color or combination may work best. I have no idea myself. I just wanted to make sure folks knew that a UV assisted florescences (sp) was not gonna help alot. interesting thread. cheers all
You probably want to clarify that there is a higher absorption rate of UV light in ocean water specifically (since these tests are in ocean water).

Green has the most optimal nm of all the colors, at ~525, for the least amount of propagation.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts

Good stuff Paul, but what's the reason then for the excellent performance of fluorescence?
Great post Ty, very helpful.

The reason why fluorescent colours perform so well is that they re-radiate in "their" colour regardless of the incident frequency, rather than simply just reflecting the frequencies they don't absorb (as normal paints do).

Here's a shot of the LM-7 (not a very good one, saving those for my review ;-)) showing just how well the fluorescent orange minute hand shows up when about the only other colours left are blue and green (check out the non-fluorescent red button). Even out of focus and partially covered by the seconds, the minute hand still catches the eye.

This photo was cropped and signed only, no other editing was done. Photo was taken somewhere around 40-50' off Rottnest Island in the Indian Ocean on a sunny day.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Interesting observations. Have to give this some thought. Keep in mind that when a body absorbs a light photon and re-radiates it through florescence, the new radiated photon will be of lower photon energy, or put another way, of longer wavelength. Think back to the blacklight posters. Hit them with UV and get a kind of blue out. I'm not a pro on florescent colors so I won't comment on why they seem to work. Nalus theory seems reasonable. Interesting comment on the salt water as well. No idea if the added salt ion makes a difference. THe UV absorbtion vs wavelength should work in both fairly closely though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for posting this information! It's a shame that the pictures no longer appear, but it's written well enough that they're possibly not needed.

I'm going to try applying some of this towards lure selection when I go coastal fishing. Maybe I'll have better success...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts