WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at vintage watches on the 'bay (Both used or NOS) and a few times I see say a silver caseback on a gold coloured watch. Is this normal in a few circumstances and by certain makers? Or a definite sign of a hybrid/franken?

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I have been looking at vintage watches on the 'bay (Both used or NOS) and a few times I see say a silver caseback on a gold coloured watch. Is this normal in a few circumstances and by certain makers? Or a definite sign of a hybrid/franken?
No, that's perfectly normal in many cases and with all brands of watches. Not uncommon at all.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Normal for some watches (most 2209 Poljots, for example). Not normal for others. Common around the world - I have a french Wakmann, american Spaceview and a couple of Swiss watches in this combo in addition to aforementioned 2209s.

BTW, none of it is silver and gold. It's gold-plated and stainless.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah , I should have put silver coloured and thanks for the metallurgical heads up!

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Most watches have stainless steel backs regardless of the case material: if a chrome-plated back is used on a chromed or gilt case, then the back plating might get rubbed off too soon as it's against your wrist. However, if a watch has a solid gold case, then a solid gold back would be appropriate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts