WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i need a pin (part of a link of the bracelet, it is the pin inside the link). the link is okay, it is only a pin that has rusted/thin away.

the a.d is selling the link, but i need a pin only.

pin is for the colt quartz.

note:
but i wonder why the pin rusted/thin very quickly since it is made of stainless steel, it was made with the military on mind and to withstand the rigors of military use or shall we say "military abuse".

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
doesn't make much sense, sure it's not a fake?
send it to Breitling for the repair.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
doesn't make much sense, sure it's not a fake?
send it to Breitling for the repair.
dear ejc,
it is not a fake, and i wish now the colt is a fake because the "pin" (changed from "link" to "pin") will have a valid reason to rust/thin away but it is a not a fake, that's why i'm wondering why it rusted/thin away.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Re: link, pin, linkpin, linkin, plinkin...oh I dunno

Originally posted by batg

dear ejc,
it is not a fake, and i wish now the colt is a fake because the "link" will have a valid reason to rust/thin away but it is a not a fake, that's why i'm wondering why it rusted/thin away.
Dear batg

You say above that 'the "link" will have a valid reason to rust/thin away'.

However, in your first post on this thread you say you need a pin not a link:- " the link is okay, it is only a pin that has rusted/thin away.

i need a pin (part of a link of the bracelet, it is the pin inside the link). the link is okay, it is only a pin that has rusted/thin away.
So, has the link rusted or the pin?
If the link is okay, as you originally state, how then would the "link" have a valid reason to rust/thin away?
Is it the link pin?
or
Could it be the spring bar?
Could the "pin" be classed as a form of link, to link one link to another link?
Which link has a valid reason for rusting/thin away, the pin or the link?
Is it the bracelet link that has rusted, or the link that links the links together i.e. the pin?
Is the Colt genuine but the pin/link fake?

:think: Yes why would a stainless steel pin rust/thin away so very quickly (whatever time scale "very quickly" is )? Perhaps it is because stainless steel is a corrosion resistant steel and although it may posses some degree of passivation, it may not be wholly corrosion free. Like some watches are water resistant but not impervious to water, stainless steel of a certain grade, depending on chromium content, could eventually rust, which may be sped up by the addition of our naturally secreted salt.

But whatever the reason for this scandalous pin/link rusting, and unless you can do the job yourself, I'd agree with Elliot.........SEND IT TO BREITLING FOR THE REPAIR.

(Bob, quick, get the rabbit, or else batg and I are going to lie awake in our respective beds, all night worrying about why this pin/link thingy hoojahmaflip, has rusted/thin away):-d

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Here ya go, Gav, and a bonus with it.

I wanna have that spray !!!.. can I use that as avatar ????? :)

-Rene

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Help yourself, Rene. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have an avatar ...

I have an avatar ...

I have an avatar ...

I have an avatar ...

la la la la .... :) :thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Dear batg

You say above that 'the "link" will have a valid reason to rust/thin away'.

However, in your first post on this thread you say you need a pin not a link:- " the link is okay, it is only a pin that has rusted/thin away.

So, has the link rusted or the pin?
If the link is okay, as you originally state, how then would the "link" have a valid reason to rust/thin away?
Is it the link pin?
or
Could it be the spring bar?
Could the "pin" be classed as a form of link, to link one link to another link?
Which link has a valid reason for rusting/thin away, the pin or the link?
Is it the bracelet link that has rusted, or the link that links the links together i.e. the pin?
Is the Colt genuine but the pin/link fake?

:think: Yes why would a stainless steel pin rust/thin away so very quickly (whatever time scale "very quickly" is )? Perhaps it is because stainless steel is a corrosion resistant steel and although it may posses some degree of passivation, it may not be wholly corrosion free. Like some watches are water resistant but not impervious to water, stainless steel of a certain grade, depending on chromium content, could eventually rust, which may be sped up by the addition of our naturally secreted salt.

But whatever the reason for this scandalous pin/link rusting, and unless you can do the job yourself, I'd agree with Elliot.........SEND IT TO BREITLING FOR THE REPAIR.

(Bob, quick, get the rabbit, or else batg and I are going to lie awake in our respective beds, all night worrying about why this pin/link thingy hoojahmaflip, has rusted/thin away):-d
dear findo,

►sorry for the confusion. it is the "pin" and not the "link" that has rusted away.

►the link the links the link together (i.e the pin), yes, this has rusted away (the pin).

►the colt is original as well as the bracelet. it is the original bracelet that came with the watch

►the ad wants to me to buy the link but i only need the pin. that's the problem.

if i want to eat an apple pie, but there is none available for sale on the shelf, shall i buy an apple? if i want a "pin" but there is none for sale, shall i buy the "link"?

►watch is not worn always, that is why, i was wondering why it rusted, as this watch was made for the military in mind, to withstand military abuse more than the average civilian daily use.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

if i want to eat an apple pie, but there is none available for sale on the shelf, shall i buy an apple? if i want a "pin" but there is none for sale, shall i buy the "link"?
Hey batg, you got it,.......... "if i want a "pin" but there is none for sale, shall i buy the "link"?".....yes, buy the link, 'cos it's the only way your going to get the pin. The pin comes with the link. That's what the AD has been telling you all the time. If you want the pin, then you gotta buy the "link".

Don't feel hard done by, think, if you buy the pin you get a free link thrown in:-!

As for the apple, yes buy the apple, it's better for you, and why go hungry for the sake of a bit of pie?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey batg, you got it,.......... "if i want a "pin" but there is none for sale, shall i buy the "link"?".....yes, buy the link, 'cos it's the only way your going to get the pin. The pin comes with the link. That's what the AD has been telling you all the time. If you want the pin, then you gotta buy the "link".

Don't feel hard done by, think, if you buy the pin you get a free link thrown in:-!

As for the apple, yes buy the apple, it's better for you, and why go hungry for the sake of a bit of pie?
dear findo,
roger on that! (thanks for the advice).

you see, our country is very poor with a conversion of 43 to $1 dollar. what seem to you as cheap/inexpensive is very expensive to us. that is why buying a link for a sake of a pin is hard to come by if the conversion is 43 times that to a dollar.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't know to what country you are refering. And 43 what(??) to $1?

I think you make it hard for us, from your poor country, to give proper advice as you only give a bit of your story at a time.???

Perhaps if you had given the full story i.e. where you are from, how old the watch is, who your AD is, etc at the start you would have got a full answer straight away.

There are some extremely knowledgeable people here, good people, that give their time and knowledge willingly, but they are conspicuous by their absence on your thread. I wonder why? Hmmmmmmm:think::think::think:

I hope you get your pin my friend.........................................:-(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't know to what country you are refering. And 43 what(??) to $1?

I think you make it hard for us, from your poor country, to give proper advice as you only give a bit of your story at a time.???

Perhaps if you had given the full story i.e. where you are from, how old the watch is, who your AD is, etc at the start you would have got a full answer straight away.

There are some extremely knowledgeable people here, good people, that give their time and knowledge willingly, but they are conspicuous by their absence on your thread. I wonder why? Hmmmmmmm:think::think::think:

I hope you get your pin my friend.........................................:-(
dear findo,
i didn't tell where i'm from because i thought nobody would care if i came from mars or pluto since it will not matter anyway, since this is a watch forum. And nobody will care if we are paying a few days salary for a link, since the average salary here is $8/day. (that's a day not an hour).

Perhaps if you had given the full story: this story is very long, and very detailed:

I started to love watches when I was in college. I can't afford to buy one since I was still a student, no income whatsoever (100% student and no work). So my mother bought me a steel and gold rolex. I loved it for a time because it was some sort of a status symbol, but in time, I didn't want the rolex anymore because this time, I was more incline to "movements".

I wanted to buy a breitling, my mother have a friend living in Austria, I was thinking maybe buying it in Europe will be cheaper. So, I ordered one from my mother's friend. My brother in law, heard that I'm ordering a breitling, wanted one also.

So two (2) breitlings arrived, one a chronograph and one is not. I was in school when the breitlings arrived. when I reached home, my brother in law said, he wanted the chronograph. I wanted the chronograph but I didn't want to fight or ruin my relationship with my brother in law over a watch.

Sad to say, I got the breitling without the chronograph, I was mad and disappointed because I wanted the chronograph, so I sold the watch and with the money, I bought an Omega triple date automatic (day, day month, 24 hour indicator)) plus a chronograph.
But an Omega is not a Breitling, I have to own a Breitling, since it is the watch that I always wanted. The montbrillant Olympus, triple date with chronograph plus the moonphase. (I now prefer movements.)

Now, you are wondering where is this story going, we are talking about the link of a colt:
Well, here it is: The watch that was bought in Austria, the one that was sold by me was a colt. I felt guilty selling it because it was my mom who bought it for me, so I convinced the buyer to sell the watch back to me.

So now, the watch is finally back with me, but it was a love and hate relationship. I rarely used it, because everytime I see the watch, it brings back bad memories, but I love breitlings (it was a love and hate relationship).

The solution: I can't sell it because it was my mom who gave it to me, and I can't keep it because it gives me bad memories. So I gave it away to my uncle, I can't see it because he is living in an island called Mindanao (where a war with muslim seperatist is going on), but it is still with the family. Now, the problem is; my uncle complained that the pin has rusted away. I was wondering why that happened, a colt, sturdy as it can be, rusted away. The colt was just given by me to my uncle not long ago and the pin has rusted right away. I rarely used it and the one who bought it never used it because the buyer was a female. (she never used it).
Now, I wanted to buy a pin, to give to my uncle. I want to give my uncle a complete wearable watch, not a watch that can't be worn. But the ad wants me to buy the link. I guess, I have no choice.

To complete the story: I am from the Philippines, where the exchange rate is presently at 43 to a dollar and the average monthly income is about $200.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts