WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my wife's date-just serviced and the Rolex Acquirement Syndrome (RAS) has hit me hard. A few years after we retired I sold a sub, a two-tone Datejust, and a Cellini. I bought a nice tool watch and thought that was that. FYI: Over the years I've had a Sea-Dweller (circa '88), 3 Sub's, the TT Datejust, and a Cellini. ...and, please don't judge to harshly, a Steinhart 38. Go easy on me!

After leaving the watchmaker's shop and looking at his personal Rolex collection, RAS hit me big time. I don't work or attend any formal events anymore (spend a lot of time traveling in our RV) so I'm thinking I can't go wrong with another Sub, all of my subs and SD had dates but not necessary.

If not a Sub a GMT has never been on my wrist, no Explorer, no Daytona (and I'm not going to pay the Paul Newman mark-up just 'cause). Anyway that's where I'm at and looking for your opinions (trolls WILL be ignored). My budget is $10K max. Ideally if I can snag a deal around $7.5 +/- that would be great. Retirement = fixed income.

What would you be looking at? ..and where, I had a friend that used to work at a high-end pawn shop but that contact is gone;-(.

PS: I'm not sure a Tudor would relieve the RAS.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Get a Sub or Sub Date.

I prefer the ceramic models, but all are fantastic.

Wear and enjoy.

Contact DavidSW, Takuya, OCRolexGuy

They will all take care of you.

Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had a great experience with DavidSW - you don't have to play the schmooze game with AD's - which I still refuse to do! His prices are fairly respectable all things considered and he has a wide selection of various Rolex models. Bought my 214270 Expy from him and it was on my wrist in 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I've been doing a lot of reading and this DaveSW keeps popping up. I've done most of my watch buying from an old friend. After he left the business I did buy a watch from Bob's, the DJ. It was an ok deal but...

I'm actually not that far from DaveSW's place so I think a call is in order. I know I'm not getting a BNIB watch for my budget and all I really want is a nice daily wearer so I'll give it a shot. I'm not trying to 'add' to any collection or pay for my kid's education! It will get used.

I'm pretty lost without my 'guy' in the business but things move on. Again thanks for the answers, appreciated. -SpclEd

·
Registered
609 Posts
For your budget you can go a little over retail for a new watch that's a three hander. Consider getting an Air King. Unique and fits in half your budget around £5150 retail (grey market isn't much more tbh). It is so underrated. It is actually a pilots watch in heritage but the latest iteration is a nod to the Bloodhound Project (fastest land speed record). I guess being someone who spends a lot of time in an RV this would appeal to your lifestyle as well. So beautiful - WARNING AIR KING SPAM!!

IMG_20200114_095922_797_1586922398391.jpg

IMG_20191116_095335_178_1586922455123.jpg

IMG_20191012_194509_571_1586922656451.jpg

IMG_20200109_113856_977_1586922775837.jpg

IMG_20190907_134600_243_1586922858389.jpg

IMG_20190615_171648_081_1586923035946.jpg

IMG_20200102_110131_751_1586923080333.jpg

I've yet to see one on anyone's wrist in the wild.

Air King > Explorer

And I've owned both. My Air King got stolen a few months back and it's only made me realise how much I prefer it over the Explorer. The dimensions are a perfect 40". It is so much more comfortable imo than the Explorer. It certainty punches way above its weight and has anti-magnetic properties. It is the same dimensions and essentially the same watch as the Milgaus but for a lot less.

Reactions: 5959HH

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Why not a DJ41 in stainless? The perfect do anything/everything watch. Plus, you can choose how sporty or dressy (fluted/smooth bezel; oyster/jubilee bracelet; selection of dials) you want it to fit your lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
And I've owned both. My Air King got stolen a few months back and it's only made me realise how much I prefer it over the Explorer. The dimensions are a perfect 40". It is so much more comfortable imo then the Explorer. It certainty punches way above its weight and has anti-magnetic properties. It is the same dimensions and essentially the same watch as the Milgaus but for a lot less.
Out of curiosity what makes you say the air king is more comfortable than the explorer?

·
Registered
609 Posts
And I've owned both. My Air King got stolen a few months back and it's only made me realise how much I prefer it over the Explorer. The dimensions are a perfect 40". It is so much more comfortable imo then the Explorer. It certainty punches way above its weight and has anti-magnetic properties. It is the same dimensions and essentially the same watch as the Milgaus but for a lot less.
Out of curiosity what makes you say the air king is more comfortable than the explorer?
I think it's more of the fact that it tapers down better to the contours of my wrist - it's much rounder. At least to me, the Explorer is slender but sharper if that makes sense. The extra weight of that 1mm makes a difference and overall the Air King feels more much substantial. Now I'm not saying that being substantial is tantamount to being comfortable but I feel as if it's a factor.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Fixed retirement income? Spend less, a lot less. If I were you I would max out at the OP 114300. You can get a great pre-owned model from DavidSW for easily under $6k. If you want 36mm try the 116000. Those can be had for ~$5k.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't have the Air-King on my radar at all but now I'd really like to try one on. It could be in the mix. Since I can't get out anywhere and kick some tires this looks like an on the fly decision. This lock-down, although necessary, has really put a crimp in everyone's style. Right now I have an itch and it needs to be scratched!

Should have never sold my last Sub...I'm sure no one has ever said that before.

Maybe a back scratcher would be cheaper!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed retirement income? Spend less, a lot less. If I were you I would max out at the OP 114300. You can get a great pre-owned model from DavidSW for easily under $6k. If you want 36mm try the 116000. Those can be had for ~$5k.
The OP is a nice watch but that would have to be a heck of a deal for me to go there and be satisfied. My TT-DJ was a 36mm and on my wrist it just felt/looked too small so the 114300 would have to be the choice. I'm going to get on the phone, yeah old-school, and start making some calls.

We're retired and on a fixed income but we were conservative and did it right, no debt. Also, I'm not going to buy a watch on credit, that's just dumb at any point in life IMO. On the other side our IRA has taken quite a hit this past month, should have listened and not looked! Getting another Rolex would be considered a luxury for sure but my kids are just going to have to make it pretty much on their own! Now that my wife's watch has been spiffed I'm back on WUS and looking. Once you've been down this road nothing else seems to satisfy.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I recently had my wife's date-just serviced and the Rolex Acquirement Syndrome (RAS)
Acquirement... is that a bit like "acquisition"?:)

Pretty soon you're going to be able to take your pick of Submariners (either 14060 or 114060) for $7.5k. I think you'll find the rotating bezel more useful from time to time, so a better bet than an Explorer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think it's more of the fact that it tapers down better to the contours of my wrist - it's much rounder. At least to me, the Explorer is slender but sharper if that makes sense. The extra weight of that 1mm makes a difference and overall the Air King feels more much substantial. Now I'm not saying that being substantial is tantamount to being comfortable but I feel as if it's a factor.
I completely disagree with you about the AirKing, especially given what the gentleman is looking for. The AK is a very interesting watch, with a unique dial, a watch that definitely grows on you the more you look at it.
However, it isn’t an everyday watch. I tried it on recently and I was struck by how heavy and relatively bulky it wears. Especially for a simple 3 hander. And I’m not a small guy. It’s a nice change of pace watch but I believe that wearing it every day would quickly grow tiring.
For the OP’s budget I’d definitely opt for a late 5 digit Sub or GMT. You can get them in the 7.5-10 k range. Among the newer references I would recommend the a Explorer or the Oyster Perpetual 39 mm.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The OP is a nice watch but that would have to be a heck of a deal for me to go there and be satisfied. My TT-DJ was a 36mm and on my wrist it just felt/looked too small so the 114300 would have to be the choice. I'm going to get on the phone, yeah old-school, and start making some calls.
Agreed. Depending on "wrist shape" the 116000 can look very nice, but the 114300 is an exceptional all-rounder if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I was retired, traveling in an RV, I'd go Explorer 1 or Sub (no date). Who needs to know the date when you're retired. A tudor will NOT scratch that itch. You already know you're going to get one, so just go for it now and start enjoying. Prices are a bit more reasonable on both the sub and explorer right now too. I also can vouch for DavidSw. I've both bought and sold watches to him. A class act and watches are always in fantastic condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At your budget and age (no offense)there is no question which watch I would buy. And for fun I would grow the famous mustache to match.
78981D74-7DAE-48B0-BC24-BAAE52A4BD1F.jpeg 696287F6-A9CA-42B7-9F7B-87A3521FDD1A.jpeg 455BE1A2-8320-4911-B8EE-DB3F7E037E7A.jpeg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts