WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Quartz is nice and earned it's place in horology.
It contributing to WW2 efforts, space exploration and many other things which kind of not on the radar of many WUS members who into mechanical watches.
Which i feel very frustrated about because if you really into watches you need to know about whole history and not one side of it.
Quartz time keeping is already 98 years old so i don't think it's new tech at all. Consumer quartz is as old as mid 1960s with wrist watch quartz been 50 + years.
All these hardly lack historical significance especially since it introduced worry free +- seconds a month affordable timekeeping to everyone around the world.
I love my quartz watches and from worry free to complicated multi function i find them both pleasant to wear and interesting.
You can buy 4.7 mm thick solar quartz for 300$ .. i find it quite technological marvel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quartz is nice and earned it's place in horology.
It contributing to WW2 efforts, space exploration and many other things which kind of not on the radar of many WUS members who into mechanical watches.
Which i feel very frustrated about because if you really into watches you need to know about whole history and not one side of it.
Quartz time keeping is already 98 years old so i don't think it's new tech at all. Consumer quartz is as old as mid 1960s with wrist watch quartz been 50 + years.
All these hardly lack historical significance especially since it introduced worry free +- seconds a month affordable timekeeping to everyone around the world.
I love my quartz watches and from worry free to complicated multi function i find them both pleasant to wear and interesting.
You can buy 4.7 mm thick solar quartz for 300$ .. i find it quite technological marvel.
I was unaware that quartz went that far back.. Foolishly thought it was first introduced in the '60s.
You're saying quartz technology in clocks existed from early '20s then? This is fascinating. Could you elaborate? Or refer to some reading on the subject? Thanks!

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,583 Posts
I was unaware that quartz went that far back.. Foolishly thought it was first introduced in the '60s.
You're saying quartz technology in clocks existed from early '20s then? This is fascinating. Could you elaborate? Or refer to some reading on the subject? Thanks!

The first quartz-regulated clocks ran on vacuum tubes (since transistors hadn't been invented yet) and were only suited to laboratories. A lot of inventions had to come together to put quartz watches on our wrists.

(reading the second link now)

Oh, and look at the section titled "Electric Oscillators". I guess Bulova didn't create the tuning fork timing device:
The first recorded experiments that relate directly to this development [of electric oscillators] were those of Jules Lissajouss who, in 1857, showed that a tuning fork can be sustained in vibration indefinitely by electrical means, using an electromagnet and an interrupter supported by one of the prongs. The idea of using an interrupter to sustain vibration was not new with Lissajous, but had been invented by C. G. Page and described by him as early as April 1837, to obtain a regularly interrupted electric current.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
You can read Wikipedia page on it. Quartz clock was invented in 1923 and as far as 1929 or 28 it was used as NIST time source until atomic clock surpassed it. As you can imagine exact time was very important for coordination, navigation purposes, physics research, astronomy etc.

·
Registered
10,713 Posts
Mine in no particular order

Very early gift from my wife, if I ever get a chance to take her to a decent dinner in a post-Covid world, I plan to wear it

One of my older watches, rather rough and tumble, but it keeps on ticking

An early buy when I was interested in learning about straps. One of the most comfortable straps I have ever worn, on a cheap watch

A casualty of too many watches, so no need to worry with a battery replacement right now lol

The Inox pair

The Eco-Drive pair

The G pair

The 8J Seiko

Not included, a Ballast gift watch that I apparently took a terrible potato pic of

1 - 10 of 10 Posts