WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is common opinion about about Steinhart Ocean One?

I know it is homage, but what people think in general about Steinhart and its watches?

How about quality, resell value and so on?

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
I’ve handled one briefly and thought it was pretty average in finishing and quality at best. I’ve owned one of their fliegers which I liked a lot better.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Basically only two camps:

1) "It's great value for money - Swiss made with Swiss movement and great styling costing 1/25th of the original. Punches so far above its weight and Gunther from Steinhart is the greatest person ever (I'm on a first name basis with him because that's how close we are)."

2) "Really? Come on. There's thousands of original watches in this world and you have to go with the Rolex copy. Aren't you even just a little embarrassed to wear that?"

·
Registered
23,360 Posts
I’ve owned one and I thought the quality for the price was good.

However it really hasn’t got any style of its own it is just a copy as others have said.

For similiar(ish) money the CW Trident is a much more individual, and better made watch.

·
Registered
7 Posts

1) "It's great value for money - Swiss made with Swiss movement and great styling costing 1/25th of the original. Punches so far above its weight and Gunther from Steinhart is the greatest person ever (I'm on a first name basis with him because that's how close we are)."

2) "Really? Come on. There's thousands of original watches in this world and you have to go with the Rolex copy. Aren't you even just a little embarrassed to wear that?"
Some days I feel I'm with 1) other, I feel more like 2). And both can be true at the same time, its my feelings that are conflicting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I owned a Steinhart Ocean One Bronze at one point in my early collecting days, and I am not sure what people think it was knocking off. Rolex’s classic Bronzo II?

Yeah, Steinhart does a lot of homage stuff and may deserve a bad rap overall for that, but not every one of its watches is a copy of something else. And we’re taking about watches that retail for less than a lot of entry level Seikos. As people always say here, buy what you want.

That said, I sold my Steinhart long ago and never suffered even a moment of regret.

Reactions: newhaven1410

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think they're alright. good value for money, especially if you buy used. Some microbrands charge much more and have asian movements with wide accuracy specs.

I've owned three and ended up selling them but I enjoyed them while I had them. I never had a problem with them and they all ran withing about +5 spd.

They also make more than just sub homage/copies but the haters seem to focus on that aspect only.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Rolex going up another 6% across the board in January - no doubt reflected in the Grey market who are the only ones who will have them to buy - that means the stainless steel models even more unobtainable - I think the Steinhart is looking like a great option for a Hulk or Smurf lookalike and if they'd just tidy up the case a bit I'd be all in

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Seen quite a few of these over the last 15? Years (or more). Bland, boring, copies. Finishing is at a lower level than some of the Chinese Micro Brands. Steinhart has stayed in the game trading off the "Swiss made" thing, but man, do they just look cheap. My opinion of course. I think like 20 years ago they made a dive watch that was semi unique and pretty nice looking. "Trident?". Can't remember.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts

I know it is homage, but what people think in general about Steinhart and its watches?

Solid, well made product for the money. Don't prescribe to the snobbery seen in here, if you like the looks, buy one, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm only really interested in their vintage sub homages and the Batman GMT that has a relatively unique design. I've never really seen the appeal in the modern homages they do of the sub. Cannot speak for hands-on quality, though.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Seen quite a few of these over the last 15? Years (or more). Bland, boring, copies. Finishing is at a lower level than some of the Chinese Micro Brands. Steinhart has stayed in the game trading off the "Swiss made" thing, but man, do they just look cheap. My opinion of course. I think like 20 years ago they made a dive watch that was semi unique and pretty nice looking. "Trident?". Can't remember.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
So have you owned one or ?

·
Registered
135 Posts

Lots of people dismiss them out of hand because they’re a homage. If that’s not a problem for you, you’re getting a 300m WR case, sapphire and a decent Swiss movement. The homage space is pretty crowded, so there are plenty to choose from, but Steinharts are good value. I paid $350 for a Vintage Red ~4 years ago, it’s my 24/7 daily, and it’s holding at ~+1 spd. I have no complaints

·
Registered
14,240 Posts

I never bought their Rolex or Nav-B homages. I did have a Triton GMT that I miss, and the aviation chrono with the dial and hands that looked like an airplane gauge. Really unique watches and good values.

Most of the watches are Chinese micro prices. While the fit and finish may leave a bit to be desired, they seem priced accurately to me.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts