WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Because most Steinhart "homages" aren't copies (excepting the Sub homage) and most Steinharts have unique design elements. If you don't do Steinhart, you wouldn't know this.

That aside, you would have to be in rare horological company for anyone to think your X, Y, or Z Steinhart is "tacky." If you are running with the Manhattan elite, then perhaps. Or if you are attending a Swiss watch convention in Monte Carlo, may be.

But otherwise, the only people who think it would be "tacky" are the ritual purist, brand driven watch snobs who comically appear in threads like this to police their fantasy, class-driven boundaries.
If I am ever running with the "Manhattan elite" I'd walk out in front of a taxi. What a miserable group of people that looks at someone and judges them as "tacky" based on what they are wearing on their wrist. I'll stick to my middle of nowhere part of the country where people don't judge others based on something so insignificant and valueless in life as a watch.

I like watches. I mean that's why I am here, right? But some of the snobbery on this forum makes me think about just selling the few swiss pieces I have, grabbing a Timex and just being happy with that.

No wonder these large corporate companies in the world treat their lower level employees like such crap and act like elitists. Look no further than some of the opinions on this forum and you'll understand why. These are the people running these companies...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I don't know why this topic was moved from the Public Forum. It wasn't off-topic.
The Public Forum will get you a wider balance of opinions. Here you have to expect the answers will be biased in favor of Steinhart.

·
Registered
152 Posts
LOL right? They're pretty popular to be so "exclusive". I like Rolex and I would own one if I wasn't the one paying for it. But I am more impressed when I see someone wearing something different. It means they actually cared a little instead of falling inline with the rest of the populace. Its like that is what you're supposed to do when you get your first 6 figure job. Stop at the store and buy some $250 jeans, a sport coat, a button down, and then a Rolex. That way when you're walking through the airport in "business casual" attire with your sport coat unbutton and your jeans that could have bought a family of four groceries, you can slide that jacket sleeve up and reveal that Rolex that you're making 0% interest payments on! Woot!

The Rolex snobery and the lack of uniqueness is what keeps me from falling in love with them. Walk through Chicago O'Hare or JFK on any given day of the week and every middle level manager will have one on. Soooooo unique and exclusive...
I'm wondering if it is these same Rolex-wearing middle managers who are haranguing us about Steinharts? Insecurity breeds condescension.

I can't imagine the real elite bothering to lecture the hoi polloi about the sins of Steinhart. In fact, I can't imagine the real elite bothering to post on watchuseek.

So if we aren't hearing from the real elite, I'm guessing we are being lectured to by the moralists, otherwise known as Watch Puritans.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm wondering if it is these same Rolex-wearing middle managers who are haranguing us about Steinharts? Insecurity breeds condescension.

I can't imagine the real elite bothering to lecture the hoi polloi about the sins of Steinhart. In fact, I can't imagine the real elite bothering to post on watchuseek.

So if we aren't hearing from the real elite, I'm guessing we are being lectured to by the moralists, otherwise known as Watch Puritans.
I have dealt with MANY levels of wealth in my various jobs throughout life. And its ALWAYS the middle manager/low level executive type that acts like that. The ones who have enough money that they gain an elitist complex and judge others based on materialistic ideals. Or the kids who inherited it. The truly wealthy people I have met don't care to pass this judgement, and most I have met are very nice and give back to people less fortunate.

It must be truly miserable to be so self absorbed that you would be embarrassed wearing a $500 watch on your wrist. Hell, I have a $500 watch on my wrist usually and I am beginning to become embarrassed, but for the exact opposite they are. Embarrassed because I hope I am never confused as an almighty middle manager snob.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would feel too embarrassed to wear an obvious Rolex clone. Looks like you're trying to be someone you're not (cause if you were, you'd get a Rolex). It's a poser watch.

Oh, and resell value is crap, because it's crappy watch that no one with taste would buy.

Sorry if I didn't sugar-coat it and give a coddling "PC" answer.
LOL I am just a good or better than any guy wearing a Rolex and I don't know anyone in real life who could tell a Rolex from a Timex.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I just don't know why you would get an homage (which makes you look tacky) and not just get a microbrand piece that would probably look similar to a submariner, but have unique design elements of it's own. If you're going to get an homage and in your mind pretend it's a Rolex, why not just go the extra mile and get a high quality fake Rolex with a high quality movement. Rolex boutiques can't tell the difference.
Only a small subset of watch geeks would think a homage is tacky. Chances are you will never meet one in real life.

·
Registered
211 Posts
LOL I am just a good or better than any guy wearing a Rolex and I don't know anyone in real life who could tell a Rolex from a Timex.
Everyone has to justify their purchase of a Rolex. To him, I guess its convincing himself others care what is on his wrist. And at that point, you better have some serious self reflection if you care so much about what people think of you that you need to spend 10k on a watch so they don't get the wrong idea and assume you're one of those poors or something

·
Registered
978 Posts
Steinhart makes many that aren't straight knockoffs of a Rolex. They do make a few models that are knockoffs, but there are many that aren't. As for "Crap resale", I beg to differ. If you pay $450 for it brand new and can still easily get $350 for it at anytime on ebay, is it really "crap resale"? I think most would disagree with only being out $100-$150 on a watch they enjoyed. But hey, if you'd rather pay $10,000-$12,000 for the Rolex at the current bubble prices. MAYBE it will be worth more in the future. Maybe the bubble bursts and now you're net negative by a few grand.

As for being embarrassed? I can assure you 99.9999% of people don't give a fly crap what is on your wrist. And even if they do, you're typically moving around them fast enough they couldn't make out the difference between a Steinhart and a Rolex Sub from 5 feet away in a store. Even fewer will actually ask you about the watch on your wrist. I know Rolex people don't like to hear that most people don't notice or care about their watches though, haha.

Sorry if I didn't sugar coat it and give a PC response.
What a poser would say.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What a poser would say.
I love seeing people like you at the airport. I know the type. Wing tips, sport coat (unbuttoned of course), button down shirt, air pods, $300 jeans. But hey, as long as people think you’ve made it, then you can sleep well at night right?

I’ll continue to be you definition of a poser if it means I’m not a pompous snob who judges people on the value of their watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've owned 2 GMT over past 30+ years. I loved them, they never let me down and every 3 years I treated the watches with regular service. Even without parts each service was probably 300 in the early years to about 500 in the later years.
Recently when prices sky rocketed I cashed in, nicely, but found I missed the heft of the Rolex and the GMT feature.
Looking around I found the Steinhart had all of the features I wanted in a daily watch without the associated problems of sporting many peoples annual income on your wrist.
As for accuracy I have about 7 other automatics that I switch every week along with has when I feel the need to be punctual.
In summary I find Steinhart is very good watch with features I care about, solid feel, legibility, accuracy and a nice appearance.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
You'll get either people who think its a great value for the money or people who say "What, you could just buy a Rolex sub for 22 times more money!"

I sit firmly in the former. Steinhart is a great watch for the money. But if you want, you can spend 22 times more and get the watch it plays homage too...

If you want my honest opinion. You're getting more for you money with the Steinhart than you are the Rolex. Sure the Rolex may go up in value in the future, and you're paying for the history of the brand. But at 22 times the price, you better be getting all that and more. For $450 you're getting a nice piece. For $10,000, you're getting a watch that it resembles but has some more history and better build quality (22 times better build quality is debatable).
Or people who say, "I don't want to spend the money for a Rolex or I can't afford a Rolex but, given that I have a certain level of self respect and I respect the concept of intellectual property, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a cheap copy." Enough with the binary BS.

"If you want my honest opinion. You're getting more for you money with the Steinhart than you are the Rolex." The lies some of you tell yourselves to justify buying a clone. I think I just injured myself rolling my eyes at this ridiculous claim.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Because most Steinhart "homages" aren't copies (excepting the Sub homage) and most Steinharts have unique design elements. If you don't do Steinhart, you wouldn't know this.

That aside, you would have to be in rare horological company for anyone to think your X, Y, or Z Steinhart is "tacky." If you are running with the Manhattan elite, then perhaps. Or if you are attending a Swiss watch convention in Monte Carlo, may be.

But otherwise, the only people who think it would be "tacky" are the ritual purist, brand driven watch snobs who comically appear in threads like this to police their fantasy, class-driven boundaries.
The company makes cheap fake knockoffs. Doesn't matter if they also make non-fakes. They're shunned because they make cheap fakes. Anyone who supports their business should be ashamed.

Basically, if you buy a Steinhart, you're helping the terrorists win.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Or people who say, "I don't want to spend the money for a Rolex or I can't afford a Rolex but, given that I have a certain level of self respect and I respect the concept of intellectual property, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a cheap copy." Enough with the binary BS.

"If you want my honest opinion. You're getting more for you money with the Steinhart than you are the Rolex." The lies some of you tell yourselves to justify buying a clone. I think I just injured myself rolling my eyes at this ridiculous claim.
When did I say I bought one? I can simply respect those who choose to. People with snobby outlooks like you are why Rolex wearers catch a bad reputation from anyone other than fellow Rolex wearers or people who lick the shoes of people they perceive have cash. If you’re expecting me to awe at your over the fact you spent money on a Rolex, you’re dead wrong. In fact, I’d say you made a terrible financial decision. But as long as your buddies think you’re cool, then tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself to justify it. Considering you live in LA. I’m sure you have to spend a lot of money to give off the impression you’ve “made it”. Cant have anyone confuse you as a lower income person now!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I love seeing people like you at the airport. I know the type. Wing tips, sport coat (unbuttoned of course), button down shirt, air pods, $300 jeans. But hey, as long as people think you’ve made it, then you can sleep well at night right?

I’ll continue to be you definition of a poser if it means I’m not a pompous snob who judges people on the value of their watch.
Boy, you're a terrible judge of character. I'd be the one in flannel or a hoodie. Never owned any of the things you listed.

A poser is someone who wants people the think they have money when they don't, in other words Steinhart losers [edit] owners.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
When did I say I bought one? I can simply respect those who choose to. People with snobby outlooks like you are why Rolex wearers catch a bad reputation from anyone other than fellow Rolex wearers or people who lick the shoes of people they perceive have cash. If you’re expecting me to awe at your over the fact you spent money on a Rolex, you’re dead wrong. In fact, I’d say you made a terrible financial decision. But as long as your buddies think you’re cool, then tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself to justify it.
Did you read what I wrote? Clearly not or perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

I don't own a Rolex. I feel subs are riduclously overpriced. There's no way I could justify spending the money for one. Additionally, I think the vibe attached to Rolex ownership is... frankly, quite gross at least in the modern era. That being said, I also find Steinharts to be equally gross, perhaps more so. At least Rolex is true to what it is while Steinhart is 100% artifice.

How about this? If you can't afford a Rolex, support some of the great watch companies out there that offer original designs at a price you can afford.

For whatever reason, there's a level of cognitive dissonance in the watch collecting community that has made wearing a fake okay. I also collect knives and "clones" - which knife collectors define as stolen designs, even if the brand name is different - are almost universally derided, along with those that purchase them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did you read what I wrote? Clearly not or perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

I don't own a Rolex. I feel subs are riduclously overpriced. There's no way I could justify spending the money for one. Additionally, I think the vibe attached to Rolex ownership is... frankly, quite gross at least in the modern era. That being said, I also find Steinharts to be equally gross, perhaps more so. At least Rolex is true to what it is while Steinhart is 100% artifice.

How about this? If you can't afford a Rolex, support some of the great watch companies out there that offer original designs at a price you can afford?
You were right. Reading comprehension isn’t my strong suit.

41 - 60 of 189 Posts