WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ding! Ding! Ding! And there it is. It was only a matter of time before someone trotted out the "everything is a copy of something else" argument. Jesus, at least try a little harder.
That’s exactly the point. You didn’t answer. Are Tudor making fake watches? Ding Ding Ding

Want to discuss or shove down cheaper brands?

·
Registered
978 Posts
You really have quite the vendetta against “posers”.

why not just let people like what they like and realize it has no bearing on your life whatsoever? You have very strong opinions about someone simply because of their watch.

maybe they aren’t trying to “show they have money”. Maybe they like the design and that’s all the matters. Maybe they like the design and don’t want to spend $10,000 on the real thing. But to you anyone who wears something of a similar design is a “poser”. With such a judge mental outlook towards others it’s hard to see why we have such turmoil in this country....
I consider knockoffs and fakes bad for the watch industry. And Steinhart is in that camp. A homage is one thing, but when a watch tries to duplicate every detail as closely as possible (sans the logo) it's a replica in my (and many other's) opinion.

And it's good to note that you're not fooling anyone with a Steinhart, quite the contrary actually. But if you want to be seen as a poser, get a Steinhart, but know you won't get the impression your looking for.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I do agree with your statement of getting an original design. Yes. But I don’t feel angst towards others simply because they want one that looks like a Rolex. As long as it’s not a fake Rolex then who cares.
Which many Steinharts are, a Rolex copy sans the logo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Exactly, got rid of them one you saw the light. I'm sure you sold them for what you purchased them for as well.
Actually between three watches had about $1300 in them, got out with probably $1150. That was fine with me, but you can be outraged for me about the $150 loss if you want to.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
That’s exactly the point. You didn’t answer. Are Tudor making fake watches? Ding Ding Ding

Want to discuss or shove down cheaper brands?
Some of you need to learn how to read. I am in no way "shoving down" cheaper brands. In fact, I'll quote a prior post, "If you can't afford a Rolex, support some of the great watch companies out there that offer original designs at a price you can afford." If you look at my signature, I don't own a single watch that costs what a Submariner does and don't think I'd ever spend that kind of money on a watch.

What I am "shoving down" - and will continue to shove down - is the intellectual dishonesty and self-delusion we see from people who buy and wear submariner clones while insisting they're not wearing a fake or copy.

Reactions: adk225

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Some of you need to learn how to read. I am in no way "shoving down" cheaper brands. In fact, I'll quote a prior post, "If you can't afford a Rolex, support some of the great watch companies out there that offer original designs at a price you can afford." If you look at my signature, I don't own a single watch that costs what a Submariner does and don't think I'd ever spend that kind of money on a watch.

What I am "shoving down" - and will continue to shove down - is the intellectual dishonesty and self-delusion we see from people who buy and wear submariner clones while insisting they're not wearing a fake or copy.
I believe we have drastically different views of intellectual dishonesty.

Additionally, I would never belittle those who buy watches they love that also look like other watches. Much like most watch companies.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Again, whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the night. We all know Steinhart is an obvious and shameless copy of another watch. You can't possibly be asserting that it's an original design, can you? Then again, I've read all manner of BS here so it wouldn't surprise me.

I can predict you're going to counter with the tired and easily defeated "everything is a copy of something" argument.
There is no "it" when it comes to Steinhart. We are not talking about one watch, though it appears you are.

My counter is to the tired and easily defeated notion that Steinhart produces one watch.

How many have you seen? One?

Steinhart has a large array of watches, many of which are original (or creative homages in the time honored practice of the industry), and is continuously designing new ones.

You would not know this for a variety of reasons, none of which are flattering.

·
Registered
152 Posts
FFS the word is "judgmental" it's not two words. Can we at least agree on that?
Ironically, this is a perfect example of the condescension that pervades your posts in this thread. I'm guessing it was obvious to everyone else, as it was to me, that this was an auto-correct error. Are such things not known on the didactic coast?

·
Registered
152 Posts
My steinhart. Bought it for a specific reason. View attachment 15560599

didnt think it was a copy of another design. but somebody told me it might be a copy of bell and ross. Doesn’t matter to me.
Here's my intellectually honest and non-delusional Steinhart. It is not a fake, clone, counterfeit, or "Sub copy," as the boat shoe cognoscenti tell me it is.

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
As for being embarrassed? I can assure you 99.9999% of people don't give a fly crap what is on your wrist.
I think people who would notice a Rolex and think you are cool because of it are cheesy rejects. That’s why I’d never own one.

Reactions: NMIEE

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
Why do you even care? It’s sad that you think lowly of people and their Rolex clones, when in fact you are the one who cares and more people than not would feel sorry for you.

Or am I missing something here? Maybe you’re an altruistic snob or something. Maybe you’re just that far above me. I can’t tell.

Reactions: fish70 and Crisker

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

You are coming from some weird point of view where people who buy and wear Steinharts are trying to fool people. No one but watch nerds notice someone else's wristwatch so that is a flawed opinion. I can afford a Submariner and wouldn't pay what Rolex is asking for any watch. It all comes down to perceived value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Because most Steinhart "homages" aren't copies (excepting the Sub homage) and most Steinharts have unique design elements. If you don't do Steinhart, you wouldn't know this.

That aside, you would have to be in rare horological company for anyone to think your X, Y, or Z Steinhart is "tacky." If you are running with the Manhattan elite, then perhaps. Or if you are attending a Swiss watch convention in Monte Carlo, may be.

But otherwise, the only people who think it would be "tacky" are the ritual purist, brand driven watch snobs who comically appear in threads like this to police their fantasy, class-driven boundaries.
I mean there's a ton of entry level swiss options or small scale production watch companies that are better at that price point. It's just obvious someone wearing a Steinhart watch desperately wanted a Rolex, but couldn't afford one. I stand by my point and say why not just go the whole distance and get a fake. Or if you're comfortable wearing an homage watch then that's cool too... but don't pretend like there's something noble in wearing an homage. Because Steinharts are Rolex homages, whether you care to admit it or not.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I mean there's a ton of entry level swiss options or small scale production watch companies that are better at that price point. It's just obvious someone wearing a Steinhart watch desperately wanted a Rolex, but couldn't afford one. I stand by my point and say why not just go the whole distance and get a fake. Or if you're comfortable wearing an homage watch then that's cool too... but don't pretend like there's something noble in wearing an homage. Because Steinharts are Rolex homages, whether you care to admit it or not.
I haven't seen any better micros that make a nicer sub $500 watch with a ETA 2824 in it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I posted the picture of my Steinhart, so why don't you identify the Rolex for which this an homage?

We'll wait patiently while you search for it.

81 - 100 of 189 Posts