WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Common opinion about Steinhart Ocean One

30K views 170 replies 75 participants last post by  Thunder1 
#1 ·
What is common opinion about about Steinhart Ocean One?

I know it is homage, but what people think in general about Steinhart and its watches?

How about quality, resell value and so on?

#4 ·
Basically only two camps:

1) "It's great value for money - Swiss made with Swiss movement and great styling costing 1/25th of the original. Punches so far above its weight and Gunther from Steinhart is the greatest person ever (I'm on a first name basis with him because that's how close we are)."

2) "Really? Come on. There's thousands of original watches in this world and you have to go with the Rolex copy. Aren't you even just a little embarrassed to wear that?"

#7 ·
I’ve owned one and I thought the quality for the price was good.

However it really hasn’t got any style of its own it is just a copy as others have said.

For similiar(ish) money the CW Trident is a much more individual, and better made watch.

#132 ·
I've owned one and I thought the quality for the price was good.

However it really hasn't got any style of its own it is just a copy as others have said.

For similiar(ish) money the CW Trident is a much more individual, and better made watch.
BUT they don't make a GREEN one. I even asked Peter Ellis (one of the co-owners)
to make the c60 in double green like the Oris Aquis green. He said they will discuss it.

Steinhart has a double green ceramic premium, that looks awesome.
--
Also, so what that it is a copy of a vastly more expensive Rolex?
If someone likes that style but isn't willing or able to pay over 10 thousand dollars,
then why shouldn't he get and enjoy the Steinhart HULK??

Reactions: Simon and Bugster
#11 ·
I owned a Steinhart Ocean One Bronze at one point in my early collecting days, and I am not sure what people think it was knocking off. Rolex’s classic Bronzo II?

Yeah, Steinhart does a lot of homage stuff and may deserve a bad rap overall for that, but not every one of its watches is a copy of something else. And we’re taking about watches that retail for less than a lot of entry level Seikos. As people always say here, buy what you want.

That said, I sold my Steinhart long ago and never suffered even a moment of regret.

Reactions: newhaven1410
#12 ·
I think they're alright. good value for money, especially if you buy used. Some microbrands charge much more and have asian movements with wide accuracy specs.

I've owned three and ended up selling them but I enjoyed them while I had them. I never had a problem with them and they all ran withing about +5 spd.

They also make more than just sub homage/copies but the haters seem to focus on that aspect only.

#14 ·
Rolex going up another 6% across the board in January - no doubt reflected in the Grey market who are the only ones who will have them to buy - that means the stainless steel models even more unobtainable - I think the Steinhart is looking like a great option for a Hulk or Smurf lookalike and if they'd just tidy up the case a bit I'd be all in

#15 ·
Seen quite a few of these over the last 15? Years (or more). Bland, boring, copies. Finishing is at a lower level than some of the Chinese Micro Brands. Steinhart has stayed in the game trading off the "Swiss made" thing, but man, do they just look cheap. My opinion of course. I think like 20 years ago they made a dive watch that was semi unique and pretty nice looking. "Trident?". Can't remember.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Yep, I think mine looked great for a sub $500 watch. Shipped from Germany to nowhereville, New Mexico in two days. I bought a Speedmaster on Ebay Thursday from Indiana that I paid $50 shipping for (USPS Priority Express) and the seller hasn't even shipped it yet.

#19 ·
Lots of people dismiss them out of hand because they're a homage. If that's not a problem for you, you're getting a 300m WR case, sapphire and a decent Swiss movement. The homage space is pretty crowded, so there are plenty to choose from, but Steinharts are good value. I paid $350 for a Vintage Red ~4 years ago, it's my 24/7 daily, and it's holding at ~+1 spd. I have no complaints

#22 ·
I’ve owned 2 models and bought them because they were homages of the submariner. I’ve also owned a squale 1545 which I bought because of its submariner looks.
they’re both great watches and feel really well made, to me at least. I’ve seen a blue steinhart which is a homage to the Tudor snowflake and want that next.
I’m sorry but I love the fact they look like Rolex but a lot of microbrands have a subbyesk vibe.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a Steinhart Plexiplorer 39 and love it, as do many of my friends who have Rolexes, Tudors, Omegas, Tags, etc. but rarely wear them for fear of devaluing them in one way or another. In fact, several of these friends have gotten a Steinhart as their daily wearer or beater.

Although I won't buy another Steinhart, I also won't sell my Steinhart. I think it's an excellent watch for the money.

As for resale, I can't speak to other models but I can sell the Plexiplorer for the same amount, or more, than I paid for it 2 years ago, though I did not purchase new (it was "mint" used). Solid deal.

#28 ·
Precisely, so don't let the ritual purist or brand obsessed watch snobs deter you.

The usual suspects have appeared in this thread, and my recommendation is to ignore them or put them on ignore.

There are plenty of high quality watch aficionados who think Steinharts are well and good.

For some of us who have graduated into the luxury -- but not snob -- watch market ether, a Steinhart was the gateway drug.

#26 ·
I would feel too embarrassed to wear an obvious Rolex clone. Looks like you're trying to be someone you're not (cause if you were, you'd get a Rolex). It's a poser watch.

Oh, and resell value is crap, because it's crappy watch that no one with taste would buy.

Sorry if I didn't sugar-coat it and give a coddling "PC" answer.

#29 ·
This stock response is exceptionally tedious.

How do you know what the resale market is, having never purchased, worn, or sold such filth?

#34 ·
You'll get either people who think its a great value for the money or people who say "What, you could just buy a Rolex sub for 22 times more money!"

I sit firmly in the former. Steinhart is a great watch for the money. But if you want, you can spend 22 times more and get the watch it plays homage too...

If you want my honest opinion. You're getting more for you money with the Steinhart than you are the Rolex. Sure the Rolex may go up in value in the future, and you're paying for the history of the brand. But at 22 times the price, you better be getting all that and more. For $450 you're getting a nice piece. For $10,000, you're getting a watch that it resembles but has some more history and better build quality (22 times better build quality is debatable).

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
I just don't know why you would get an homage (which makes you look tacky) and not just get a microbrand piece that would probably look similar to a submariner, but have unique design elements of it's own. If you're going to get an homage and in your mind pretend it's a Rolex, why not just go the extra mile and get a high quality fake Rolex with a high quality movement. Rolex boutiques can't tell the difference.

#39 ·
Because most Steinhart "homages" aren't copies (excepting the Sub homage) and most Steinharts have unique design elements. If you don't do Steinhart, you wouldn't know this.

That aside, you would have to be in rare horological company for anyone to think your X, Y, or Z Steinhart is "tacky." If you are running with the Manhattan elite, then perhaps. Or if you are attending a Swiss watch convention in Monte Carlo, may be.

But otherwise, the only people who think it would be "tacky" are the ritual purist, brand driven watch snobs who comically appear in threads like this to police their fantasy, class-driven boundaries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.