WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

281 - 300 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’ll repost a respond that I posted in the thread about this in the Public forum, since I saw a post from an Admin saying, basically, don’t start a new thread about this. All you have accomplished is create more room for ads. After 10 years you have finally cured me of WUS. If I have to read pages of instructions on how to use a forum, it’s game over for me.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
15 pages so I didn't troll through them, hopefully a quick answer from a Mod.
Query: At the top of a page it use to have "Post reply", now it seems you have to navigate to the latest post to reply? Could a link for post reply be put at the top?
I hope I've made sense, and if I have missed something then looking forward to some clarification.
Thanks.
Hopefully the new look will grow on me :)

p.s. I don't hate it, just gotta get used to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Overall, this is a great improvement to the UI. There are a couple of tweaks that have taken getting used to, but nothing extreme. I don't think it will take long for people to get used to the new format. It is much cleaner and crisper, and the mobile site is so much better. Thanks to the team who put this together!

One suggestion would be (and maybe this has been done already, I haven't browsed too much) to create an FAQ thread, answering differences from the old site, like why there's no "Go to first unread" button, or that you can't change the number of posts per page.

And as updates are made, I hope there will be a change log thread.

Overall, very happy with the update. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, for me this change has ruined a useful, easily navigated forum. I used to be able to go to the Sale forum, type, e.g., Datejust in the search box (without specifying what forum I wanted - duh, the one I was in - or whether it was based on relevance or date) and get a quick listing of Datejusts for sale, newest on top, one line title that I could click on if I wanted more info rather than reading four lines of unwanted description on every one. I don't want "suggestions" for me - I don't need a forum trying to read my mind or decide what's relevant, I was perfectly capable of finding my way around. This is a real shame.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ads masquerading as posts are very annoying.

Have the pictures I've uploaded over the past ten years disappeared? I can't find a way to access them.

My profile no longer shows my watch collection.

Will the signature rules be uniformly enforced? In the past they were not.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Change happens and everyone is generally powerless to stop it so there's no use in complaining because nothing will change it back to the old look no matter how much we complain. So my post here is simply to add to the record (like when you watch C-SPAN and a congressman or senator is reading their statement into the record and they are just one of a few people in the room....)

Ok, new features? Great, I get that. More sophisticated software is USUALLY always a good thing.

New look - not good. It "fixed what wasn't broken". It also changed something that has been consistent for over a decade or more. NO reason for the look change as it wasn't needed. This is style only. And changes in style are generally useless. Dark mode better than light mode but big deal. In a few years we'll get used to it and they'll change it again.

Premium membership? There you go - a reason - money. Ok, what are the "premium forums" and how do we KNOW we want to access them? Where are the samples? Is there a read-only access to even tell if we want to pay for access?

Oh my god, I had to go into my preferences and turn OFF all the possible alerts. Why were they all checked ON? There's no checkbox to turn them all off! I only come here to read and discuss and never want to get notifications from anyone unless there was a security breach and we need to change our passwords. And those tiny check boxes. I had to hit several of them multiple times to uncheck them. Ugh!

Yeah, right side column needs to go. Premium or not, it needs to be minimized so I can maximize the posts. I've got a widescreen monitor but the narrow post window with 25% of the width taken up by the right hand column is annoying.

I'm sure I'll have more complaints but, as noted, they'll fall on deaf ears as nothing is going to change anyway.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The search is more cumbersome, why does it default to everything when you are inside a forum? That makes no sense, and going into advanced every time really sucks. On the flip side, it does seem to work better than the old one.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Have the pictures I've uploaded over the past ten years disappeared? I can't find a way to access them.
Wondering the same thing. I was going to search this thread to see if I had missed a previous reply, but I'm not finding a thread search either. Even if it exists, it breaks the Rule of Discoverability.

·
Registered
546 Posts
On my settings/privacy page, for the option called: "start conversations with you",
I clicked "members only"
But I can't seem to figure out HOW someone would start a conversation with me / send me a PM (private message).
The send message icon/button does not appear under my name on the left of my posts, like it seems to appear when you hover on other people's names. I read the FAQs page and made sure again that "members only" was clicked. Thanks for the help.
They knew you'd try to converse with yourself endlessly and introduced a feature preventing that. ;)

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Thanks for the updates! I like the new look of the user interface. Only problem I have now is my Tapatalk doesn't work with WUS and it keeps telling me that my password is incorrect. 😕

What I like? Layout, user interface, text editors.
What I don't like? I/3 my desktop screen is advertising...

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I like the new interface, very refreshing and more in line with other forums I'm on. Finding the capability what used to be under the triangle gadget and got moved to the hamburger lite and renamed, sure that's gonna take a little getting used to, but so did the original forum.

I test software for a living (mostly embedded but some UI) so I'll likely pass on inconsistencies as I find them; I just haven't looked very hard yet. Signatures being compressed, great! Far too much real-estate spent on mostly and totally repetitive info (including mine, which I purposely kept down to three lines).

It looked at pictures I posted on the old version and saw that they were reduced from the original post. I thought this was a setback but 1) realized that you can click on the picture and see it as originally loaded and 2) this is the solution for those that feel they should post in full 12 megapixel glory so that the rest of is (and the host) spend as much of our resources as possible, despite being able to even render it at full resolution.

Then I saw the discussion about posting as a thumbnail or larger. I hope "larger" is limited to something reasonable so we eliminate the picture hog.

I was a little miffed that location turns from my carefully worded crack to a flag. I noticed that DavidKa's Israeli flag shows "Near East" when hovering over it. Is the same true with the Saudi flag? I'd be pissed if you couldn't even say the name of my country.

Edit: I see my little crack is what we call the "tooltext" in SWE; the little box you get when you hover over an interface item. I suppose that's a good thing, similar to short signatures noted above.

Oh, and about the Premium (you can all see that I fell for it); while I don't see ads on any site I visit, and I have no idea what a Premium forum is, I felt that $20/yr. is a piss in the ocean considering the amount of entertainment I get from WUS and all you fine members.

Carry On

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had to uninstall and reinstall Tapatalk but it works now. Much faster loading. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
What happened to the list of watches owned in our profiles from before?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hello IT,

After the upgrade I can't find my posts. I go to my username, then click on Latest Activity and see nothing there.

Please, help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the updates! I like the new look of the user interface. Only problem I have now is my Tapatalk doesn't work with WUS and it keeps telling me that my password is incorrect. 😕

What I like? Layout, user interface, text editors.
What I don't like? I/3 my desktop screen is advertising...
I had the same Tapatalk problem, cleaning cache fixed it.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Cricket, thanks again for all your hard work and patience as we acclimate to the new interface! Hopefully some of the folks who post a lot of snarky comments that add no value (and who aren't grateful for a free service) will either be a bit more grateful or will go away.

I almost always view WUS on my desktop computer (using Chrome) and hardly ever on my phone, and I don't use Tapatalk. I read the FAQ and have been playing with the site for several hours. With that said, here are some comments and questions:

1. Placing tons of ads in annoying places was genius! Within literally 10 minutes of visiting the new site, I became a Premium member to get rid of the ads. So, that worked! I'm totally fine with this because I visit WUS regularly and think $20/year is a reasonable convenience fee.

2. You've already replied that "The site is optimized for 20 posts per page" after several folks asked if there's any way to see more than 20 posts per page. Please, please consider adding a drop-down menu that provides the option for users to see 20/50/100/200 posts per page (those 4 options). 20 posts per page is way too few. It seems like many users would love to see this. [If there's some connection between your ad revenue and the number of posts per page -- i.e., if being able to see more posts per page would somehow decrease your ad revenue -- then consider making this a Premium Membership benefit.]

3. Being able to hide everyone's signature is the best thing EVER! I don't know if this was possible on the old site, but I'm thrilled that I can now forget signatures are even an option.

4. Many other people mentioned a variation of the "separate posts more clearly" request. I'd echo that. Please increase the point size (number of pixels) for the horizontal lines that appear in between each post, to make the lines a bit thicker, so the boundary between posts becomes clearer. These would be white lines in Dark Mode, and black lines in Light Mode.

5. Let's say I start to reply to a post but then decide that I want to cancel/discard my reply and just go back to reading the thread. I can't find a "CANCEL" or "DISCARD" button/option. The best I can do is hit the "back" button on my browser, which takes me back a full page -- not where I want to be. All I want to do is cancel/discard the reply that I started and continue reading the rest of the posts in that same thread right where I left off. Can you please add a "Cancel" or "Discard" button next to the "Preview" and "Post reply" buttons in the "reply" interface?

6. Please clear up this major mystery. When I go to Account Settings -> Privacy, there are two settings that reference "Watch Wear." They say, "View your Watch Wear on your profile" and "View your Watch Wear when you post." What the heck is "Watch Wear"? Is this something everyone else knows about except me?

Thanks again for all your help with this!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thank you for the upgrade. Most importantly, the forum feels a LOT faster and more stable now. I'm sure the under-the-hood changes were substantial.

I would like to add my voice to those who would like a more compact skin for the desktop version of the site. Currently there is a lot of wasted white space. The actual content of posts takes up barely 40% of the horizontal space on my screen. The content is what I'm here for, but this usage of horizontal space means the part of the site I'm actually interested in is quite small:

The major culprit is this side banner:

If a compact mode could eliminate the side banner and expand the real estate used by the content people are posting, that would go a long way to making the user experience a bit more user-centered, I think. While I can see it being somewhat useful for non-members, the side banner is itself fairly superfluous for registered members, since we already know what communities exist on WUS to explore. (Plus, I am never going to join the "Home Theater Shack" community, or any other community that I do not seek out myself.)

The other suggestion I want to echo is adding borders around some of the content to delineate posts from each other. As it is, things kind of blend together.

Again, thank you for replacing the engine in this old vehicle so can it can keep rumbling along. It is certainly a big improvement.

281 - 300 of 668 Posts