WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

321 - 340 of 669 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Another annoying trait shared by OmegaForums:
The last viewed post doesn't set unless you actually go to the last post in the thread. Say I read halfway through another Rolex/Omega battle and get bored, then move on. If I navigate to back to the thread, it takes me to the first page.

Let's hope this bug isn't associated with the other dreaded last viewed post in OmegaForums, that it completely forgets the last viewed post for no obvious reason.

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
Sorry for the snip, I just found it funny to copy your style. I don't actually care what the outcome is but too many separate controls are as confusing as buried ones. I've been learning Vegas Video editing software and if you think this is complicated and hard to discover...
Seems like Edit would be a frequently-used control, so it makes sense to me to get it outside of the hotdog menu like it was before.

CivicX forums looks awfully similar to this, too (don't know if it's the same software) and they put the Edit button next to the post content.

The answer is to delete whatever you have written in the box by marking and deleting it with the delete key.
That sorta makes sense, but it doesn't get rid of the text entry field, so it doesn't feel like it's canceling anything. It's like "closing" an open front door by walking upstairs without physically closing it.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Another requirement states "All Control Menu Items shall have at least two selections". There'd only be one left.

On another forum, one of the Mods informed me that VerticalScope is a company, not a platform. Up until that point, all information I'd read about online indicated it was a platform. So I googled VerticalScope. Seems they are a web property that has made a living by buying up web properties and expanding upon them. I wasn't around WUS in the early days but I suspect it was a hand-rolled creation bankrolled by someone's savings and maybe some angel investors. VerticalScope bought them out at some time.

If my suspicions are correct, OmegaForums is a VerticalScope property and this update was them saying "Why are we supporting this old, hand-rolled platform that costs a lot and keeps breaking? We own the code and migrating is just a process of morphing the old data to fit the new database". Makes perfect sense to me. If it is the case, I hope some of the changes we instigate make it to OmegaForums. I can see them paying more attention to WUS than elsewhere due just to the size of the user base.

You bring to mind another feature on OmegaForums, the ability to delete a post. While this might seem to be a blessing, it does make for a more jerky flow of thought as some users delete stuff for no obvious reason. I personally vote not to provide it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Only tried mobile(iOS) so far, but I’m digging it. Much better than the previous version imo.

A few observations/issues:

• Is there a “desktop mode”? If not, can we get that please?

• There absolutely needs to be bolder, more defined borders around the posts.

• The typing is glitchy- specifically with capitalizing letters, spacing & spelling/auto-correct. (ie: it won’t auto capitalize the first letter after a period, randomly capitalizes letters, keeps trying to change the word “other” to ”mother”, etc).

• The dark mode is REALLY dark. Some lighter grey tones would go a long way.

Other than that, so far so good for me. I don’t seem to be having most of the issues I see others mentioning.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Most of the avatars look as they're from early 2000s. Perhaps uploading them again help.

For "likes given" wish: There was a workaround back in 2015, and it was planned to be in the product by default but I assume this is completely scrapped for time being.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Would be nice to see how many reads (views) a for sales thread gets. It seems to be a rounded figure now.

A list of latest posts in subscribed threads would be nice too.

My apologies if these things are already in place. It is still a little new to navigate in this site.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Maybe the trophies could be useful to mark when you have hit the right number of posts to post links, and when you are able to post in the sales forum and such.

Other than that they wouldn't need to be there at all...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not a fan of the new theme or UI. The old one was more convenient and easy to use but I guess change is inevitable. It’s going to take me awhile to get used to this.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
OmegaForums has a neat feature where if you have posted in a thread, the avatar for the thread gets a little picture of your avatar in the corner. Easier to find that thread you remembered posting in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why did you do it? were you bored and just wanted to have a joke with us? It's not very good at all. There is a notice telling me that you have renovated and asking me to 'take the tour' I wouldn't take the tour if you paid me!!! I just look up what I wanted to see and leave as quickly as possible. please put it back!!

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Well, this one's special.

A few hours ago, I posted a reply to "IWC fake or real Help please !" in the Vintage and Pocket Watches forum. It vanished into the ether, much like a setting lever I used to have.

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
That sorta makes sense, but it doesn't get rid of the text entry field, so it doesn't feel like it's canceling anything. It's like "closing" an open front door by walking upstairs without physically closing it.
The entry field is the big difference, and why there's no "cancel". It's always there. It doesn't appear inline, like it used to. So the idea is that the field is always around so no need to "cancel".

And it auto-saves drafts of your message. So if you type something up and wait a few seconds it will save. The if you leave the page and come back later, what you typed will still be there. If you want to blank the field you can, but if you leave the page quickly it might not have cleared the auto-save. In that case you can clear it, then use the floppy disk icon to save a blank field, or you can delete your draft with that.

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
What is this list thing? I don't even know where it came from. I would gladly pay $20 for the old format if that's what I get.
You clicked on "Insert Table"... it lets you insert a table. It's a nice feature. Like this:

BrandModel
RolexSubmariner
PatekCalatrava
OmegaSpeedmaster

Reactions: tokareva

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
There are other interesting things too (click on the fuzzy patch):

Like the inline spoiler feature, which just fuzzes things out until you click on them. I'm not sure how useful it is, and if you don't know what you're looking at it could be confusing I guess. But it's interesting.

Regular spoiler tags are still around too.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Here's my two cents!

Love the incredible responsiveness and image/video uploading capability. Will make posting quicker and easier.
Like all the profile, follow, bookmarking, no-limit PMs, and general productivity options. Lots to learn, but with practice I feel will lead to a richer experience.

Middle-aged eyes here and I echo other comments about the white text-black background contrast being very difficult to read. Very severe and fatiguing to the eyes and I can feel it after just 10 minutes or so of browsing. If we could either get a slightly green-tinted text option or alternatively 90-95% gray background, it would make reading significantly less straining.

I believe an unintended consequence of the current dark mode is that the threads with unread replies, the bolding to indicate such is simply too subtle to pick up at a glance. Too close to the regular font. This means if you can't differentiate by stroke width, do so in another dimension, for example color or italics. I don't know the best option, but right now, if you have to look and look hard as opposed to a pop-out, it's too effortful.

Separation between posts...needs more definition Any given thread seems like an endless run-on and this is also fatiguing and disorienting.

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
I like it. Even if it is another PHP website builder. It would be nice to see you guys move to a modern front end framework but I understand why you haven't. The GDPR compliance is interesting.

321 - 340 of 669 Posts