WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Compadre 8012G Gearbest.com- $61.36 w/free shipping

Gearbest provided me with one of their newer watches, a Compadre 8012G. This is a classic dress watch, following the Bauhaus template (homage of Junghans Meister Hand-Winding & Meister Agenda). I chose the version with the black face and rose gold finish.

The watch has a classic 38.5mm, round, stainless steel case with almost no bezel. The movement is a hand wind version of the Sea-Gull ST17, the ST1700A. This allows for a relatively thin, 8mm case height. The case back is stainless steel and held in place with five screws. It features a small circular window showcasing the balance wheel. Without an automatic rotor, there is not much else to see on the 1700A. This model comes with a 30 meter/100 foot water resistance rating.

The domed black face is accented with a printed white logo and white hour and minute markings. The 3,6,9 and 12 positions feature rose gold applied stick indices. The lower portion of the watch face has an inset small seconds dial. All three hands are rose gold, the hour and minute hands are luminous Dauphine style and the second hand tapers to a fine point. Along the bottom of the face is the curious phrase“Personal Tailor”. This is in very small print and is hardly noticeable from any distance.

A significant portion of the watch's 8mm thickness is due to the “bottle cap” domed mineral crystal. The minute hand has been curved down at the tip to follow the curvature of the crystal and the watch face. The convex curved face minimizes any distortions from the dramatically curved crystal.

The watch has a 20mm fine-grained, black leather band, that tapers down to about 16mm at the buckle. It's refreshing not to have the ubiquitous crocodile grain or stitching, so common on Chinese watches. The leather is soft and supple, requiring no break-in period to be comfortable.

The ST1700A movement is wound with a modified antique, unsigned domed crown. It is a fairly quiet caliber, only audible within a few millimeters. My initial test achieved a 52 hour power reserve, fully wound. The movement is non-hacking, so it can only be set to the closest minute.

Also worth a mention is the presentation case. The Compadre box is impressively large and covered in white and burnt orange leather. The company's name and logo are embossed on the top cover. Inside is a soft, buff-colored microfiber material with matching watch pillow.In addition to the included manual and cardboard watch tag, there was a plastic credit card style warranty card with a unique ID number. I'm not sure how anyone would file a warranty claim using this card?

One minor flaw is a set of faint streaks on the underside of the crystal, which are likely the result of less than ideal assembly. They are not noticeable under most lighting conditions, but became more apparent as I attempted to photograph the watch.

My overall impressions have been quite positive. The watch seems well made and very comfortable. Despite its apparent solid construction, the leather band and thin case make it seem light weight and almost delicate. It should be no problem to fit under any shirt cuff. This watch is very similar to the 2015 Rodina ST17 hand-wind. Although the Compadre lacks the Rodina's full display case back, it can be purchased for less than half the price.

PROS

• Quiet Sea-Gull ST1700a movement
  • 38.5mm case wears small, perfect for dress watch
  • 8mm thickness
  • Attractive domed crystal and face
  • 52 hour initial power reserve
  • Less than half the cost of it's Rodina ST17 hand-wind cousin

CONS

• Non-hacking movement
  • Compadre font and logo seem incongruous on a Bauhaus style watch
  • “Personal Tailor” script along bottom of face.
  • Faint streaks on underside of crystal
  • Choice of rose gold/black or yellow gold/white. No silver/stainless options
  • Weak lume on hands only

Gearbest.com- $61.36 w/free shipping

wrist.jpg watchinbox.jpg
watchonbox2.jpg 8012Gpair.jpg
construction.jpg caseback.jpg
watchinbox2.jpg watchbox.jpg

·
Registered
692 Posts
Interesting watch, though to my eye, the styling is more late 1950s - early 60s rather than Bauhaus. The onion crown is an attractive and interesting feature, though I agree the "Personal Tailor" text is a little odd - clearly something got lost in translation... :)

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting watch, though to my eye, the styling is more late 1950s - early 60s rather than Bauhaus. The onion crown is an attractive and interesting feature, though I agree the "Personal Tailor" text is a little odd - clearly something got lost in translation... :)
The domed dial reminds me a little of the H. Moser & Cie Venturer, which has been described as having Bauhaus styling elements.

UPDATE - I just discovered this watch is a homage of the Junghans Meister Hand-Winding & Meister Agenda.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Kahhhhhhhhhn!!!!!

st-kirk-khan.jpg

Purchased from ".........." for $54.90 US w/ free shipping. Now I must explain this to my wife......again.....sigh.....

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are more Compadre models:

Compadre 8001
Aqua Terra homage, automatic

Compadre 8003
Automatic

Compadre 8004
Automatic

Compadre 9001
Quartz Chronograph

Compadre 9002
Quartz

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Delivered just under the wire (pending postal labour disruption). Here it is on the wrist. First impressions are quite good, especially for the money. Fit and finish are excellent. We'll see how the case plating holds up.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here's the yellow gold version of this watch. Tons of old dress watches in the 50s and 60s looked like this but maybe a bit smaller. So here you get to have that vintage look with a slightly more modern size and without the cost, hassle, and fragility of a vintage movement. Also a lot of people look down on open heart watches but here you get the best of both worlds- a nice open heart window discreetly hidden on the back. I changed out the strap which was pretty cheap looking. I wanted to add a Sea Gull powered watch to my collection and at 57 euros I could hardly go wrong. (I think they're even cheaper now.) I think it's running at about +15 seconds a day but I haven't really tested it too carefully or worn it very much. It's very hot where I live and this isn't really a summer watch. I can live with +15 secs anyway. Definitely a worthy addition to my humble collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's a very pretty watch! However, I suspect that, in my case, it would only be a matter of time before 'Personal Tailor' at the bottom of the dial really started to annoy me to no end, every time I looked down at the time :p

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's a very pretty watch! However, I suspect that, in my case, it would only be a matter of time before 'Personal Tailor' at the bottom of the dial really started to annoy me to no end, every time I looked down at the time :p
It's in really fine print. I can barely make it out. It might be a problem if you wear a jeweler's loupe all the time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Why is there no SS version with black dial? What a stupid move!

Would have bought several as they fill a niche.

They'd make great gifts..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Quickie update (without photo -sorry cardinal sin I know):

watch still runs well, but the crystal mysteriously exploded, without any provocation to my knowledge. I found the main piece of it about a foot away from the watch, and the force of the explosion was enough to embed glass in the dial! I'm guessing the crystal was under some compression.....

removing the the remnant crystal was difficult as this watch does not have standard construction (it was not possible to remove the movement and the dial as one unit, and I didn't want to remove the hands, so...). However new acrylic replacement on the way from Cousins as I write this.

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Joe
same thing happened to mine.Out of nowhere the crystal just popped and shattered..strange.Can you please provide me with the link of where you got the replacement crystal.
Much appreciated and thank you

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quickie update (without photo -sorry cardinal sin I know):

watch still runs well, but the crystal mysteriously exploded, without any provocation to my knowledge. I found the main piece of it about a foot away from the watch, and the force of the explosion was enough to embed glass in the dial! I'm guessing the crystal was under some compression.....

removing the the remnant crystal was difficult as this watch does not have standard construction (it was not possible to remove the movement and the dial as one unit, and I didn't want to remove the hands, so...). However new acrylic replacement on the way from Cousins as I write this.

regards

joe
So far, I'm impressed with the solid build quality and really like the tall domed glass. However, it sounds like they're prone to breaking. Is this true of domed glass in general? Is this why my the high-domed crystal on my $500 Junkers watch is acrylic and not mineral glass or sapphire?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Is your watch still working now? And how about the crystal replacement?
The crystal replacement went off without a hitch, although I did have to be careful removing the remnants of the old glass. There were shards and fragments everywhere.... I used the following from Cousins UK as a replacement:
ATG Sternkreuz 36.2 ATG362 £2.60   EACH

Regards
Joe

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The crystal replacement went off without a hitch, although I did have to be careful removing the remnants of the old glass. There were shards and fragments everywhere.... I used the following from Cousins UK as a replacement:
ATG Sternkreuz 36.2 ATG362 £2.60   EACH

Regards
Joe
Was it just a press fit? I guess there wasn't a sapphire alternative?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts