WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am preparing for my first watch purchase that is more than $75-$100. I have fallen in love with the Oris Aquis Date Diver 40mm for many reasons. One of the main reasons is because of the quality of the SS bracelet on a watch in the price range of $1k. As most know, this model has been discontinued by Oris, so I'm having trouble putting my hands on one. So, my question is are there any divers out there with a comparable bracelet in the $1k range?

Thanks for the help!

Carter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
Carter, I don't know your wrist size but whatever it is try the 43mm on at an authorised dealer as the realms of WISdom are littered with people who bought the 40mm Aquis and found it too small as Oris divers only have short lugs so wear small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have kicked that idea around. Unfortunately, I have no authorized dealers within a 100 mile radius of me! My wrist size is about 6.75. Thank you for the help! I greatly appreciate it!

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
I have kicked that idea around. Unfortunately, I have no authorized dealers within a 100 mile radius of me! My wrist size is about 6.75. Thank you for the help! I greatly appreciate it!

Here's a 43mm on my almost 7 inch wrist. You will like the 43mm ten times better than the small 40mm. Oris wears small like he said. You won't find a better made bracelet on the market than the Aquis line.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have a 7" wrist and the 43mm Aquis Diver Date fits very comfortably on it. My wrist, though, is flat. I can see where the watch would not fit as well on a 7" wrist that was round instead of flat. I just purchased a 43mm blue Aquis Date from a forum member who has it sized for his 6.75" inch wrist. He sold it to me only because he has an Omega incoming.

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Here's a 46mm on my almost 7 inch wrist. I actually highly prefer the 46mm Aquis over my 43mm Aquis in a heartbeat. I actually have my 43mm Aquis Diver for sale now because I love how the 46mm wears. My wrist is barely a 7 inch but the 46mm wears much like a 45mm. The 43mm wears like a 42mm. I like a larger watch and I've found that my still basically new Aquis 43mm isn't being worn at all now since I got the 46mm. OP, you will like the 43mm. It does not wear too large and is a good solid size. My wrist used to be 6 3/4 before I shattered it with my competitive tennis. I had a titanium plate installed in my wrist making it become a 7 inch now. Even when I was 6 3/4s I wore 45mm watches so 43mm will suit you well man.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I find the bracelet on my Oris Classic actually more comfortable than my Aquis, possibly because it has 7 links across allowing for more movement as compared to the Aquis' 3.

It also might be because the Classic is lighter than my Aquis (my Aquis is a steel rather than titanium model), and because my Aquis bracelet is sized slightly looser than the Classic.

Either way, I love both bracelets!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 43mm Aquis fits my 6.75" wrist just fine. If you're really set on a smaller watch look at the 38mm Chris Ward C60 Pro 600.
Not sure what you do for a living, but I'm in the banking business, so I wear a button up every day. Does the 43mm fit well under the cuff of a button up?

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
Not sure what you do for a living, but I'm in the banking business, so I wear a button up every day. Does the 43mm fit well under the cuff of a button up?

TBH it depends on the shirt. I have some that are really tight and there is no room for any watch at all in there but it slides under the others just fine. If a watch won't hide under the cuff I don't mind showing mine off and I certainly don't mind flashing the Aquis if the old cuff is a bit tight.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wear my Aquis 43mm with a business shirt to work. I have a 6.75" wrist and while it can fit under the (French) cuff, generally it sits outside. I deliberately chose the tungsten bezel on this model as I thought its silver colour to be more appropriate to a business setting, whilst still maintaining the chunky diver look that I like.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wear my Aquis 43mm with a business shirt to work. I have a 6.75" wrist and while it can fit under the (French) cuff, generally it sits outside. I deliberately chose the tungsten bezel on this model as I thought its silver colour to be more appropriate to a business setting, whilst still maintaining the chunky diver look that I like.
That looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Another suggestion to get the 43mm, but for a different reason.....40mm Aquis can be very difficult to find, especially at anything close to the same price as a 43mm.

Sellers of 40mm Aquis tend to want closer to MSRP, while 43mm sell at more discounted (lower) grey market prices

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another suggestion to get the 43mm, but for a different reason.....40mm Aquis can be very difficult to find, especially at anything close to the same price as a 43mm.

Sellers of 40mm Aquis tend to want closer to MSRP, while 43mm sell at more discounted (lower) grey market prices
I have found this to be spot on. I also want to find one that has the rubber strap in addition to SS. I know I'm being picky, but I'm in no real rush. Waiting for the right one to come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
I too have heared many people regret buying the 40mm. Having the 43mm myself I can confirm that the bracelet is the best you can get under Omega/Breitling level. If you're in the banking business and dress up frequently you'd better consider a more dressy watch as well. I can see the Aquis pairing with a young suit in a celebration or something, but certainly not in your line of work. Take a look at their Artelier line and maybe at what Longines offers as well (you'll get more brand recognition, even though I prefer Oris myself), and consider a leather band as well. If you're like me and can't abide a watch without a durable metal bracelet, the ones on the Oris dress watches look pretty decent. I usually widely recommend the Aquis, but in spesific cases like yours I'd suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too have heared many people regret buying the 40mm. Having the 43mm myself I can confirm that the bracelet is the best you can get under Omega/Breitling level. If you're in the banking business and dress up frequently you'd better consider a more dressy watch as well. I can see the Aquis pairing with a young suit in a celebration or something, but certainly not in your line of work. Take a look at their Artelier line and maybe at what Longines offers as well (you'll get more brand recognition, even though I prefer Oris myself), and consider a leather band as well. If you're like me and can't abide a watch without a durable metal bracelet, the ones on the Oris dress watches look pretty decent. I usually widely recommend the Aquis, but in spesific cases like yours I'd suggest otherwise.
I appreciate your advice! I've looked at the Artelier line and will pick up one to add to my collection. Since I'm not willing to buy both right now, I thought the Aquis would be something I can wear dressed up or down. I knew I'd be forcing the issues a bit wearing it dressed up at work.

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
More than one person has bought the 40mm Aquis, thinking the 43mm would be too big for them, and because Oris divers tend to wear small regretted not going for the 43mm version.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's a collection and not a single watch then problem solved - get the 43mm to be on the safe side and later on get a dress watch to match your profession attire. I have hands like oak trees, so that 43 looks pretty much like 40 on me. Still, many will advise against the 40mm for various reasons. You'd do well to listen to what Sticky has to say, the guy really knows his stuff. He helped me before I got my Aquis as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a fairly small wrist 6.5" and found the 43 a good size, but I wished for a wee bit smaller. As a tool watch is was a good size. As a dress watch maybe a tad large for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts