WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my attempt at a "forever watch"--a new 39.5mm Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean--seems to have been thwarted. I bought this a couple of weeks ago from a reseller (original box/papers/warranty). The bezel insert is misaligned and the bracelet absolutely cannot be removed. Regarding the latter, I even took it to an Omega Boutique who couldn't remove it and offered to send it to the service center directly although I declined since I didn't bring the warranty card or anything to the store assured that they'd be able to remove it (I think I had been betting on a "tech" being there but they're not staffed during all of the shop's hours). The springbar on the 12:00 just seems absolutely jammed or as if the factory stuck a 20-21mm bar in there.

So I sent it to SGUS-FL last week and got it back earlier today. They replaced the bezel spring and click spring... which were fine and of course don't fix the bezel insert alignment. They seemed to have inexplicably replaced the 6:00 springbar (they sent back what looks like the original) and on top of that, the underside of the lugs have been fouled up real nice (they were fine when I sent the watch in to SGUS). A local AD this afternoon still can't get the 12:00 bar out and commented on the lugs (the AD folks didn't make them any worse luckily).

I've been on hold with SGUS for going on 30 minutes. No idea what I'm going to do with this thing, especially now that the lugs have been mauled up.

Sorry for the vent but pretty aggravated right now.

·
Premium Member
7,076 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Yep, adding some pictures.

I called SGUS earlier and after an hour wait, surprisingly talked to the VP of SGUS Customer Service in NJ (I guess the recording while you're on hold about them being lightly staffed isn't a joke). Seemed willing to help and offered to have it shipped to him personally so that's a plus... and that they can polish out the lugs. There was some back and forth confirming that they replaced the bezel springs but that doesn't fix the alignment. And there was absolutely no play before--or even after--replacing the springs. The bezel on the PO seems superior to the SMPc that I have both in that regard and the fact that the coin edge of the PO is vastly easier to turn (I do dive with these things). Again, the bezel itself has never been the issue.

He offered a FedEx label (it'd be mailed to me) but I didn't mind walking it down to the UPS store in the base of my building and paying 2nd day air to get there sooner and hopefully get this squared away (I have to leave town in a couple of weeks).

I just don't get the Miami service center. I've had to send my SMPc there now a total of 4 times in 2.5 years because they keep overlooking stuff. I mostly expected that when I called CS, someone in FL would've picked up and, at this point, I would've pleaded to have it sent to NJ. I don't have any experience with the one on NJ but just can't imagine they're, er, "like" the one in FL.

IMG_5790.JPG IMG_5792.JPG IMG_5793.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,076 Posts
I've had over 20 different POs (yes, I really like 'em), spanning across 3 generations and a majority of them new with stickers, and the bezel feel is always different. I'm not sure what they're doing with QC over in Switzerland, but it's pretty whack. Some feel loose, some sound cheap & clunky, some are hard to turn, some allow the bezel to be clicked back by 1 or 2 units, and very few are perfect. Only way to fix that is to remove the bezel and carefully bend the three prongs up or down slightly. If you don't feel confident in doing that yourself, you should probably ask them to replace the bezel clickspring again to roll the dice.

As to why they replaced it in the first place, I've seen instances where as the bezel is being removed, the clickspring comes up with it and bends. Sometimes, it's easier to just replace something that costs a few cents rather than carefully bending it back.

Hope they resolve your issue quickly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope they resolve your issue quickly.
Appreciate it. But just trying to make clear that the bezel action is perfect (in fact, probably one of the best on any dive watch I've had). The bezel action (both grip and mount of play) on an SMPc... not so much. But the bezel insert that's been inlayed in the bezel seems off. I know how tricky it is inlaying an insert into a bezel since I've done it a couple of times on Seiko SKXs in what seems like a previous life (before Omega). So I'm just not sure what acceptable tolerance Omega says they have. Ironically, while I don't like the bezel action/play in my SMPc, they aligned the insert perfectly.

We're all OCD in our own way but I just feel like Omega is the company that seems to trigger it most, and I've had lots of watches across a variety of brands, types, price ranges, etc. If they weren't so expensive it wouldn't be so bad either and I didn't love almost every damn model/line they have... (walking into the AD this morning and the OB a couple of weeks ago... not sure if it's the lighting or what but the ATs look great, Globemasters, etc.).

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Oh man... ****ty service is exactly the reason why I dumped Omega. I had a bad experience with Service Centre in Secaucus, NJ. I am of the strong opinion that the technicians at the NJ SC are the worst.

Reactions: PeteJ

·
Premium Member
7,076 Posts
Don't worry, Seattle isn't any better. I had a bad service with them.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Hi. Yep, adding some pictures.

I called SGUS earlier and after an hour wait, surprisingly talked to the VP of SGUS Customer Service in NJ (I guess the recording while you're on hold about them being lightly staffed isn't a joke). Seemed willing to help and offered to have it shipped to him personally so that's a plus... and that they can polish out the lugs. There was some back and forth confirming that they replaced the bezel springs but that doesn't fix the alignment. And there was absolutely no play before--or even after--replacing the springs. The bezel on the PO seems superior to the SMPc that I have both in that regard and the fact that the coin edge of the PO is vastly easier to turn (I do dive with these things). Again, the bezel itself has never been the issue.

He offered a FedEx label (it'd be mailed to me) but I didn't mind walking it down to the UPS store in the base of my building and paying 2nd day air to get there sooner and hopefully get this squared away (I have to leave town in a couple of weeks).

I just don't get the Miami service center. I've had to send my SMPc there now a total of 4 times in 2.5 years because they keep overlooking stuff. I mostly expected that when I called CS, someone in FL would've picked up and, at this point, I would've pleaded to have it sent to NJ. I don't have any experience with the one on NJ but just can't imagine they're, er, "like" the one in FL.

View attachment 15451978 View attachment 15451980 View attachment 15451981
My God, I kind of assumed you were being a typical overly anal WIS, but those lugs are ridiculous!!! What’d they use, a garden hoe!? Man, I feel bad. That really sucks. I don’t blame you at all for being frustrated. Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Australia's service centre was terrible too users ago. But haven't used them since. Dreading the day I ever need to send my new PO there. I sold the last one due to malfunction after malfunction.

PS
Those lugs look terrible. I change my own straps and slip occasionally and they don't look as and as those

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is exactly what turned me off Omega service centers. I had a misaligned bezel on a brand new SMP, took it to my local Seattle service center, and left it with them for a few days. When I returned, it was no better and I was told it could not be fixed and was within tolerance. I don't want to extrapolate too much, but my experience, for me, will keep me searching for a talented private watchmaker to service my watches.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just an update lol... got the watch back... spring bars and bracelet were finally removed so that's a plus. Underside of lugs were polished... look much better but still some scarring visible (I can get over it I guess).

But a bunch of hairline scratches in the outer AR coating on the crystal. Ha, gotta love it.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Sweet Christmas! I had been toying with the idea of sending my PO to a service center to get my bezel indices perfectly centered to my typical Omega anal WIS standards, but you experience has scared me sober! Future service appointment cancelled! Sorry you had step through this Montana shoeshine patch, that is total BS.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I realize hindsight is 20-20, but I've learned ONLY to send an Omega to the service center through a corporate owned boutique. That way it is sent to the Seattle service center, which is known to do a far better job caring for our watches than the others.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told it could not be fixed and was within tolerance.
Forgot to mention that in my earlier update but yeah, I was told the same thing about the bezel insert. And also informed about the parallax effect where you need to be looking at the watch directly square. I mean, of course; sorta knew that already.

I realize hindsight is 20-20, but I've learned ONLY to send an Omega to the service center through a corporate owned boutique. That way it is sent to the Seattle service center, which is known to do a far better job caring for our watches than the others.
Not sure if the CS Manager I spoke to added a note to my customer number but living in FL, the NJ accepted my watch. Not sure if that means you can just willy-nilly send it to whatever SC you want and they don't care? Regardless, my hope is that this watch makes it through the warranty period without further issues and once out of warranty, it's going to a respected independent.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
So just an update lol... got the watch back... spring bars and bracelet were finally removed so that's a plus. Underside of lugs were polished... look much better but still some scarring visible (I can get over it I guess).

But a bunch of hairline scratches in the outer AR coating on the crystal. Ha, gotta love it.
I’m glad it looks somewhat better now. Did the hairlines on the AR coating exist before you sent it in?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would send it back again but that’s just me and probably avoid these two service centers in the future. Did you check with nesbit’s? Heard a lot of positive stuff about them.
Yeah I just emailed the SC Manager back about this. Sort of uncomfortable having to tell him this (I feel guilty about things I shouldn't, e.g., other people's mistakes... not sure why) but I'm hoping they fix this issue (I'd assume replace the crystal) and then I'm done with them.

And yes, I've heard about Nesbit's but it's a new watch under warranty. Will definitely consider them for post-warranty service (or Archer too).

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I sent a Seamaster to Nesbit's for an overhaul (this was years ago) and they did an excellent job.

It's frustrating a perplexing that we hear so many stories like this regarding Swiss after-sales service. The only thing I can think of is that there really is such a shortage of skilled watchmakers that a lot of jobs get rushed and/or done improperly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts