Votes: 16 50.0%
  • I'm rich. Give me both.

Votes: 3 9.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose, would you go for the watch with the best complication or the one with the best decoration?

Curious to see what you guys prefer...

I think these 2 brands are great examples where there is an apparent "trade-off"

Habring[SUP]2[/SUP] vs. DD&S

Attachments

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you had to choose
Prefer not to find myself in such a position :)

That said, complications over decorations every day of the week and twice on Sunday as long as there is no difference in reliability.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,223 Posts
Decoration.
I get a mechanical watch because it is pretty.
If I needed more than the time (and possibly date) I’ll just use one of those wristcomputers from Casio.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd vote complications but I still like a pretty watch. When I'm hunting if definitely seek specific complications. Moonphase, réserve de marche, Chronograph, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I say neither. Simple and (relatively) unadorned. Like Rolex - if you want to spend a lot of money. Or my own Seiko SKX if you want to spend a lot less. Printed dials. Matte finishes. Simple straps. Not a lot of different angles or grinds.... Simple, form follows function design.

Reactions: Quartersawn

·
Registered
15,854 Posts
Decoration, only because I don't much care for complications in general . .

·
Registered
453 Posts
Neither for me. I appreciate decorations and complications for the culture and craftmanship, but the watches I'm most attached to are classic tool or dive watches. We are looking for a bit of ourselves in timepieces, or what we want to be. So right now, I'd like to think I'm a bit like a Seiko SKX.

And by that I don't mean easy, run off the mill and a bit antiquated

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Decoration.

Really not a fan of complications at all, I much prefer simplicity in a dial and movement (more robust and easier to service).

I do appreciate a decorated movement especially in a.fine dress watch.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You only live once! Get both! lol

But in all seriousness, if I could only choose one, I would probably go with complications as decoration is not as apparent. I would not want to have 10 chronographs all decorated differently...Would rather have various complications. Kind of like cars I guess. Would prefer to have a sports car, SUV, Jeep, etc. Versus 10 sports cars just with different colors.

Great question!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I would ideally like one of each kind of watch complication.
Preferably in a different color so I have all the colors, for different clothes, and different complications for different activities.
Sooooooo a little bit of both worlds?

Now deciding on an odd display of the hour hand versus a moon phase....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I voted for decoration, even though i don't really care too much about either. Given the choice between similarly priced watches, one a chronograph/moonphase/annual calendar, one just a simple beautiful 3 hander.... I'm taking the 3 hander all day. I appreciate the intricacy of some complications, but most I would not be willing to pay a premium for.

Too many useless complications, or many which actually would turn me away from buying a watch. I feel like I would be so scared to have to reset a perpetual calendar, I would never actually enjoy wearing one. Tourbillon? just something going to cost me a fortune to service in the future; minute repeater? no thanks; moonphase? how do you even set a moonphase?

The only caveat would be at the very basic end of the spectrum. Like would I rather have a date or a clear case back? I'll take a date. Or a seconds hand or some geneva stripes... I'll take the seconds hand. But I don't think the very basic "complications" was the point of the question.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, interesting to hear all your opinions!

As for me, I "prioritize" certain complications and decoration techniques. For example, I love power reserve indicators and dates (especially big dates). If a watch has both a PR indicator and date function (but is rather lackluster on the decoration), then it could float on my boat. On the other hand, I think engraving on movements (especially on balance bridges) is spectacular.

So clearly, there's an ideal watch: one with a PR indicator, big date (or just regular date), and engraving in the movement. Hence my love for Lange, haha.

I think this is a neat question to bring up because it really speaks to your taste in watches.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your example - between the Habring and the Dornbluth, which is the complication and which is the decoration?

You show the Dornbluth 99.2 which has a power reserve and quattro arret, so two more complications than the Habring, but is also more decorated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure I understand your example - between the Habring and the Dornbluth, which is the complication and which is the decoration?

You show the Dornbluth 99.2 which has a power reserve and quattro arret, so two more complications than the Habring, but is also more decorated.
You might not be looking deeply enough!

I compare the two because the two brands have pieces around the $3K to $10K range. Whereas Habring is known for his mastery at complications (think deadbeat seconds + foudrayante), Dornbluth is much better known for his dressier, more-decorated pieces. Sure, the 99.2 has more complications, but quality > quantity. You don't see Dornbluth rattrapantes, minute repeaters, etc., yet his decoration is stunning. On the other hand, you have to admit Habring's watches are rather industrial-looking.

Is that clearer?

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
I only buy watches i like the look of, so no i wouldnt buy a watch that had certain complications if i didnt really like the overall look.
Same goes for movement, i wouldnt buy a watch i wasnt blown away by just for a movement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I vote for decoration. I've always been just blown away by highly decorated watches. Complications are nice, but few that I find interesting and most rather unattractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts