WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

In the past month or so I've received a ton of PM's asking for information on one or more of the watches in my collection, most of it related to relative size and fit of different pieces. In order to make information (and more importantly, comparison) more readily available, I've decided to create a thread detailing the relative characteristics of 5 watches. Each watch will be shown in a wrist shot, a shot detailing the height the watch sits above the wrist, and a movement shot (minus the Alpinist as it does not have a transparent back and features the same movement as the SARB033).

For reference, my wrist is dead on 6.5 inches (16.5cm) around and the top flat bit on top is right about 50mm before my wrist curves downward.

I will also refrain from "reviewing" any of the pieces (unless you guys all ask me to of course).

Watches Featured (Left to Right):
Seiko SARB033
Seiko SARB017
Citizen Signature Grand Classic
Mido Multifort 38mm
Orient Star WZ0031DV

Seiko SARB033:
Approx. $430 New
38mm Diameter
11.2mm Thickness
48mm Lug-toLug

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Fashion accessory Metal Watch accessory Titanium

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Seiko SARB017:
Approx. $600 New
39mm Diameter
12mm Thickness
45mm Lug-to-Lug

Wrist Fashion accessory Green Jewellery Bracelet

Watch Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery Titanium

Citizen Signature Grand Classic:
Approx. $750 New
40mm Diameter (42mm w/ Crown Guards)
12.5mm Thickness
48mm Lug-to-Lug (approx.)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Metal Titanium

Auto part Clutch Analog watch Gear Metal

Orient Star WZ0031DV:
Approx. $400 New
38.5mm Diameter
11.5mm Thickness
46.5mm Lug-to-Lug

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Metal Fashion accessory

Mido Multifort:
Approx. $700 New
38mm Diameter
10.85mm Thickness
48mm Lug-to-Lug

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Fashion accessory Watch Jewellery Metal Ring

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Metal Strap

I'm going to finish up with some semi-comparative profile pictures that I took showing roughly what the different watches look like from the (non-crown) side.

(Mido, Alpinist, OS)
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive exhaust Bumper

(OS, SARB033, Citizen)
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Windshield

Thoughts on Value for Money

This bit is a little more subjective, but I wanted to throw it out there.

All 5 of these watches have quality bracelets with solid end links. All have sapphire crystals. All are approximately equally accurate. The Citizen is the only one in the bunch with AR coating on the crystal. It also has the highest MSRP.

As far as value for money goes, the Orient Star and Mido are at the bottom together.

The Orient Star has, by far, the cheapest bracelet and the lowest feeling build quality. This stands to reason as it is also the cheapest, but the difference is shocking compared to the similarly priced Seiko.

The Mido has great build quality and arguably the best bracelet in the bunch (not a single stamped piece of metal in it), but the case is downright pedestrian, the brushing looks slightly cheap (could be better defined for sure), and the crystal really needs some sort of AR coating. MSRP on the Mido is ~$900 and those issues certainly need to be addressed to make it worth it. For some idea of what I'm talking about, simply look at the profile shots of the watches. The Mido has plain, vertical sides where even the OS has visual interest and the SARB017 has the graceful, smooth curve. Check out the bezels too. All the Japanese guys have a knife edge, or at least two different planes. The Mido is a simple half dome.

The Citizen has to stand alone at the top of the heap. MSRP is $995, I paid $625 for it brand new with a stamped warranty. The deal of the century to be sure. The case is intricately detailed, the lines between brushed and polished surfaces are razor sharp, and the crystal/hands/dial are unreal. This is what the Mido should aspire to with its similar MSRP and similar street price. The only real complaint (and it isn't an issue for me) is that there is no form of micro adjustment. No holes on the clasp, no half links. What you see is what you get.

And a closing shot of the whole gang together once more. Again, feel free to ask any questions you like and I will do my best to answer them.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

· Registered
785 Posts
You definitely have a theme to your collection. All are approximately the same size, fairly simply dials with date function only. The 033, Mido and Orient are all extremely similar watches.

The green dial Alpinist is my favorite as it's such a unique piece on it's own. Which watch do you find you wear the most?

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the 017 still your favorite of the two SARBs?
Absolutely. It is easily the most comfortable watch in the bunch, with the Citizen a close second.

It's interesting to look at the group shot photograph, the Citizen dial really pops out, much more so than the others. Is it the only one with a AR coating on the crystal?
It is, though it being in the middle helped a lot. Whatever the have coated it with is insane though, you can't get a reflection on the crystal to save your life.

That said, the only one where I find the reflections to be mildy irritating is the Mido. It makes the dial nearly impossible to photograph. If you are a reflection nut, I imagine any of these (Citizen aside) would be poor choices.

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The green dial Alpinist is my favorite as it's such a unique piece on it's own. Which watch do you find you wear the most?
I'd say the Alpinist gets the most wear, followed by the Citizen. The rest are fairly equal. Hard to tell for sure though as I haven't had any of them but the Alpinist for a real length of time.

I'm going to update with approximate "new" prices on each piece as well as some basic thoughts on value for money at the end.

· Registered
5,682 Posts
You know, I remember posting and bugging you to show profile wrist shots in your review of the Citizen. Perhaps you responded and I missed it so I didn't dig any further into that Citizen. Now, with these pics and knowing the L2L is 48mm, that makes it much more appealing. You reignited my smoldering interested in the watch. At ~$600 it really is a steal for what you get.

I've been so good about limiting my buying. Spent only $200 from December until a few weeks ago on watches but if I buy this Citizen that $1K in less than two weeks (including the Somes). And I don't need another white dial watch but damn, if I'm not tempted. The only saving grace is that it's a still a new watch and Citizen isn't going to discontinue anytime soon, so I have time to think about it and try to reason myself out of buying.

It's only $600, right? What else am I going to spend it on, right?

Now, if you were to provide pics of the Citizen on a variety of different straps..., that would be hard to ignore.

· Registered
5,215 Posts
You know, I remember posting and bugging you to show profile wrist shots in your review of the Citizen. Perhaps you responsed and I missed it so I didn't dig any further into the that Citizen. Now, with these pics and knowing the L2L is 48mm, that makes it much more appealing. You reigntined my smoldering interested in the watch. At ~$600 it really is a steal for what you get.

I've been so good about limiting my buying. Spent only $200 from December until a few weeks ago on watches but if I buy this Citizen that $1K in less than two weeks (including the Somes). And I don't need another white dial watch but damn, if I'm not tempted. The only saving grace is that it's a still a new watch and Citizen isn't going to discontinue anytime soon, so I have time to think about it and try to reason myself out of buying.

It's only $600, right? What else am I going to spend it on, right?

Now, if you were to provide pics of the Citizen on a variety of different straps..., that would be hard to ignore.
There's a black dialed one too.:-!

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the support guys. It wasn't easy to put all this together but I figured it was worth the effort given the sheer number of questions that pop up in f71 about the Orient Star, SARB, and entry level Swiss ranges. Not to mention the attention Citizen gets and the direction they are pushing their N. American entries.

· Registered
372 Posts
This is a great post Drew! Perfect timing. I have been looking for a dressier watch in the sizes and prices you have graciously photographed in this thread! I think i have made up my mind to go SARB071, which i believe is the 033 with leather instead of SS bracelet. The lack of micro adjustments has scared me off.

· Banned
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the interesting thread. I just got my first Seiko, a SARB017, from Seiya a few days ago. Great watch, however my only gripe was that I felt the strap (I didn't want the ss bracelet) wasn't up to the task. I just put it on a Hadley Roma MS885 Chestnut and it looks great! Love this watch.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
That's a lovely collection drew! You sure seemed to have honed your style out pretty well ;-) the citizen does seem a tad out of ur comfort zone in many respects but I can see the attraction. Now all you need is a Stowa :p

The Naf

· Registered
300 Posts
Great post, and very nice pictures!

Regarding the bracelet for the SARB017, is it correct that there are no micro-adjustments? Are there 'minor' segments, so to speak? Or are all pieces of the bracelet the same size?

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Great comparisons, Drew! These are certainly in the sweet spot of size for my preferences, although for some reason several 42mm watches have been showing up in my mailbox in the last few months. :-x It always fascinates me to see how case/bezel design changes size perception so dramatically. For my 7" wrist, the SARB017 fits like a glove both visually and by its shape. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how well my newcomer 42mm Glycine Airman fit me, and happy that it looks much smaller than the diameter and twin crowns would have suggested. Yet, on the contrary, I have been disappointed at how puny and underwhelming a traditional 36mm Rolex Explorer 1 looks, despite my fondness for smaller watches. Go figure. :think:

Reactions: DPflaumer
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.