WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I could never have imagined this in an 800 USD Master of G.

I have had the GPW-2000 for two years now... and I never let a single drop of water touch it (no shower, no swimming, no handwashing... I even kept it protected from rain!). I am an extremely careful guy with all my watches... usually, they remain in immaculate conditions for years.

That being said, today, for the first time, I had the TERRIBLE IDEA of washing my Gravitymaster.

I only put it under the water tap for 15-20 SECONDS while gently rubbing it with a soft-bristle toothbrush. Everything seemed ok and fine but... 3 HOURS LATER condensation behind glass appeared (please see the attached picture).

Please note that I double-checked the crown was 100% closed and screwed VERY TIGHTLY into the case before washing the watch.

When seeing the condensation, I put the watch under a hairdryer (cold hair) for 20 minutes. The condensation disappeared but, 10 minutes later, it appeared again. Then I put again the watch under the hairdryer and sealed the watch in a little plastic bag filled with 2 unopened packets of silica gel desiccant. After 1 hour the condensation disappeared again, and I decided to keep the watch in the plastic bag for at least 12 hours...

Any ideas what has caused the condensation to get inside? Could it be the result of the temperature of the water? (it was straight hot water)

What else can I do in order to keep safe the watch movement, GPS antenna, etc?

And, above all, will the watch be fine?

Thank you in advance for your previous advice.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will of course follow your recommendation. How many hours have I to leave the watch in the silica? Must the crown be simply unscrewed or must it be extracted to the 2nd position?

Never use very hot water, sudden temp changes are bad for any watch.

Open the crown and leave it in the silica or set it in the sun to dry out.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think I might have damaged any internal part of the watch? The movement? The Antennas for radio synchronization? Bluetooth?

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
if its still running, no. it was not salt water so there should be no arcing or corrosion.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
thats some pretty heavy condensation, maybe your over tightening did some damage? tho much more likely its just the change in temp but that depends on the ambient temps. every used watch i have bought, first thing i do is run straight hot water into a bowl with dish soap and drop the watch in to soak for about 15-20min before giving it a good scrub. if its extra grubby, i'll strip the resin first. never had any condensation problems but i also live on the sun for 9 months of the year.

generally you shouldnt need to that fastidious/paranoid about getting a G wet, regardless of how much it costs. if it were me, id pop the back off and check the seals, maybe even pop the module out and do a test with a piece of tissue just to make sure/have peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
61,543 Posts
I’d take the back off and let it dry in silica gel for several days. Inspect the gasket VERY carefully for any signs of damage. If you are at all unsure about it fit a new one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, you have damaged your watch. If you do not open the module and dry it out thoroughly you will get a corroded board. There is no way your water has no mineral content, so corrosion is certainly guaranteed.
The water got in because you most likely applied too much pressure to a button while brushing. It opened the seal and let moisture in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To dry the module is it sufficient opening the case back and put a pack of silica gel on the module?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
When you get it dried out and verify the case back gasket is okay, you might consider putting some silicone grease on the gasket before reinstalling the case back.

After all of this is done, you could have a watchmaker perform a pressure test on the watch just to make sure the water resistance is good.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Guys I have some update.
This afternoon a watchmaker opened the caseback, extracted the module, and cleared the crystal from the inside.
He did not perform any operation on the module.
After 15 minutes he installed again the module and caseback.
Now, after 4 hours, the moisture is still not appearing.
Moreover I just checked all functions of the watch, including beep, led light, GPS sync, Bluetooth etc... Every function is OK.
Do you think I have to perform any further operations on the watch in order to avoid corrosion of the module?
When the module was out of the case, I asked the watchmaker to blow air over it, but he said it was not necessary (both because that little amount of moisture was already gone as well as because air may harm the module).
Do you think I have to open again the caseback and put the module under an hairdryer with cold air or under silica gel?
If the moisture will not appear again, even after I expose the watch the sun, then can I assume the module is perfectly dry?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts