WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is this a good move from Seiko?

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am a long lurker on these forums and this is my first post, I hope I am welcomed here :whistle:

So I spoke to my AD today after I saw the post here regarding Seiko wanting to release the Alpinist SPB199J1 Mountain Glacier
as an unlimited edition (SPB197J1) and he confirmed that to me, he said he will receive some soon. I also got a picture of the
watch from him.

I know this was a discussion point here in the forum, I understand that people who bought the Limited Edition are disappointed and others
like the idea of the re-release. I'm really happy about this since I missed on the limited edition one. but I agree that the re-release is a bit
premature as the Limited Edition was released only 3 months ago.

My AD reserved one SPB197J1 for me for less than 700 Euro :eek:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
674 Posts
Nice looking watch, what’s the second crown do?

Reactions: JCB43

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first thought was, "Why is that controversial?", and then I remembered some folks hate limited edition watches.

I think it's lovely, myself.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
From the old discussion from few days ago, I think the problem was that some people
who bought the LE felt like they were cheated by Seiko, some said that they would
have not bought the watch if they knew that they could get it cheaper and with a bracelet
only if they wait for a few weeks. Other found that a good move by Seiko because some
people just bought the watch just to profit from selling it later on E-bay.

Both opinions are right in my opinion. To be honest I was going to buy the LE from E-bay
but thanks to the forum I found out that Seiko will re-release the watch, so I waited and now
I will pay less and get more :love:.

·
Registered
385 Posts
From the old discussion from few days ago, I think the problem was that some people
who bought the LE felt like they were cheated by Seiko, some said that they would
have not bought the watch if they knew that they could get it cheaper and with a bracelet
only if they wait for a few weeks. Other found that a good move by Seiko because some
people just bought the watch just to profit from selling it later on E-bay.

Both opinions are right in my opinion. To be honest I was going to buy the LE from E-bay
but thanks to the forum I found out that Seiko will re-release the watch, so I waited and now
I will pay less and get more :love:.
I can see that being a problem. But I can certainly see both sides of that one.

Sounds like you're winning, at least.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Lovely. Voted yes.

I'd leave the rattly bracelet in the cheap recyclable papier mache box and get a nice Horween strap like the LE (or one of its two straps, anyway!). Of course, LE owners have the two straps, a proper storage box and the all-important numbered caseback, but I didn’t want to play stupid games bending over for flippers and scalpers, so will make do with this one instead.

·
Registered
Mostly Seiko
2,563 Posts
I can't see that it's the ADs issue.

Reactions: ugawino

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lovely. Voted yes.

I'd leave the rattly bracelet in the cheap recyclable papier mache box and get a nice Horween strap like the LE (or one of its two straps, anyway!). Of course, LE owners have the two straps, a proper storage box and the all-important numbered caseback, but I didn't want to play stupid games bending over for flippers and scalpers, so will make do with this one instead.
Honestly, I am very glad that I didn't buy the Limited Edition, this is a much better deal, you get a bracelet and the exact
same watch for much less money. If you like the Limited Edition strap, I am pretty sure I found a website selling the original
LE strap for half the price of the bracelet. Time to find that website again ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Patience is a virtue.
I might pick one up. Yeah it is a scummy thing, and yeah I would probably take advantage of it.
Honestly reading more about this issue and thinking more about it.... I feel for the people who
are upset about it, it is a scummy move from Seiko, this is why I will change my vote to No.
But I am happy anyway to have to chance to get the same watch and pay much less.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think it's a poor move from Seiko, and if I had purchased the watch I would be emotionally upset about it.

On the other hand if you purchased the watch because it looked amazing and you liked the other qualities in the watch, then you were not harmed by Seiko's choice other than by making your (good taste) a bit more ubiquitous. If your buying decision was driven by the potential for financial gains, well that's just the way it goes and reflects the risk inherent of buying anything with the hope for value retention/appreciation. No watches, to include limited editions are guaranteed to appreciate or retain value, especially when these "limited editions" are released in such high numbers.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts