WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at several different brands along with their movements, but considering I don't know a lot about them, I'm confused about it all. I was looking to get another timepiece after the new year so I hope that you guys can give some good suggestions and offer some great advise. I am looking at something $6000 and under. Here is a list of what I have been researching.

Maurice Lacroix - Calendrier Retrograde, among others
Rolex - Sea-Dweller, among others
Bozeman - Sidewinder
RGM - Signature model #222/923 Hamilton movement
Several IWC's

Some of these my be a bit more than $6000, but I think they are in the general vicinity

As a newcomer to watch collecting, I am very inexperienced with what to look for and questions to ask. I have been going on appearance of the piece, but I know there is more to it than that. Please help me to understand what I need to be looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Christopher,

I want to start by saying two things:
1. You have excellent taste in watches!
2. You are way out of my price range. What I'm going to say here is based on research and business experience.

When I read your list I said to myself: "Self, one of these doesn't fit.:) " The one that doesn't fit is Rolex. Rolex is the only brand in your list that I have held in my hand and studied personally. It is also the only one I have done extensive multi-source research on. I believe when you buy a Rolex a significant portion of your money goes to marketing and demand-based pricing. I will likely own a Rolex because Rolex says "Success" in business, and there are times in business when that has value to me. I would rather own any other watch in your list. You already own a Rolex (and a great one, I might add), so that potential need is already filled for you. I believe all of the others are probably better values.

Now, if you still care after reading all of the above, my choice would be Bozeman, or RGM. You don't say what country you are from, and I'm obviously American, but I assure you that does not play into my decision at all. I would choose one of these two because they are small companies, whose stated goal, history, and ideology are simply to make the best possible timepieces for those that are willing to pay for them. No fluff or B.S. "This is who we are and here is what we do." My business experience tells me you'll get a better quality product, and better service from companies like these.

My $0.02, YMMV, Void where prohibited, enter as often as you'd like.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Todd, I to live in the US, but travel way to much on buisness. I was thinking the same way about Bozeman & RGM, but when I do research on other watches I find myself with several decisions. For about a year the wife has heard me talk about RGM and I am VERY impressed with their workmanship. About Bozeman, I have to admit that I don't know much about them yet, but plan on looking more into their company soon. My think is that I don't know much about the movements, so I'm trying to learn what I can so I can make an educated decision about my next piece.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you are interested in a watch that is as interesting and carefully crafted inside as out, I'd go RGM. A watchmaker's company with the man's name on it (okay, initials).

If I could buy any (new) watch I wanted, without regard for price or "need" it would be an RGM.

Again, my opinions are just that. They might (or might not) be well thought-out, but aren't terribly experienced or well-educated in this realm.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you are interested in a watch that is as interesting and carefully crafted inside as out, I'd go RGM. A watchmaker's company with the man's name on it (okay, initials).

If I could buy any (new) watch I wanted, without regard for price or "need" it would be an RGM.

Again, my opinions are just that. They might (or might not) be well thought-out, but aren't terribly experienced or well-educated in this realm.
I have an RGM 150E Grand Guilocche and it is one of the finest watches I have seen. The finish and craftsmanship are amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have an RGM 150E Grand Guilocche and it is one of the finest watches I have seen. The finish and craftsmanship are amazing.
Finally, someone with real experience to help this guy! You're :gold Mr2blue

·
Registered
34 Posts
If I had $6,000 to burn on a watch it would either be a Seadweller or a Submariner. But since I don't, I directed my wife to put $1,800 into a Sinn Arktis instead and I totally love it. Even if I did get a Submariner, I would consider the Arktis my "prime-time" watch.

·
Registered
827 Posts
IMHO, at this price point I'd consider an IWC, or a JLC. If you research further, I think you'd agree. Both are true Swiss classics that will stand the test of time. I love Maurice Lacroix and have one, but the one I'd consider for that money would be the new one with the in-house movement. However, I wouldn't buy it this year. I'd wait for a some of the rate results to improve.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMHO, at this price point I'd consider an IWC, or a JLC. If you research further, I think you'd agree. Both are true Swiss classics that will stand the test of time. I love Maurice Lacroix and have one, but the one I'd consider for that money would be the new one with the in-house movement. However, I wouldn't buy it this year. I'd wait for a some of the rate results to improve.
I read an article on that model, and I gotta tell ya.........they weren't to impressed with it. On the other hand, once they get the bugs worked out of it, it should be great. I am eger to check out the ML 106 once it comes out though. I have done some research on IWC, but not JLC yet.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Those are obviously all great watches.
At this price point, I personally would be looking for a watch that would retain as much re-sale value as possible or possibly even appreciate a bit.
Of those on your list, I'd think that would be IWC or Rolex.
Of course that may be of no concern for you.
Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally would be looking for a watch that would retain as much re-sale value as possible or possibly even appreciate a bit.
That is one thing I really want. I am looking into this for an investment, and that is where my dilemma begins. What watches would be good to look at that will hold or increase in value? I call the closest JLC AD today and talked with them for about an hour asking questions. I'm going to Cincinnati Sat. to check them out. They also have IWC, so I can check them out to.

G

·
Well, I am watching auction prices since long. The most complicated high-end watch will hold or increase in value (PP, Vacheron & Constantin, AP, Lange & Söhne, Breguet, Blancpain, IWC, JLC). But even Rolex watches will hold their value. I am sure I can obtain a good price for my Rolex Submariner Date (2004).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like the JLC Master Calendar, I guess I'm just going to have to look at some of these models in person to where I can physically see them. That will probably put several things in perspective for me. I will let you guys know what type of impression the IWC's and the JLC's give me over the weekend. My wife says that I should go for the RGM model, but I'm not to sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts