WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys:), after catching the G-shock bug, I am looking into the Pathfinder and Protrek ABC watches as well.:-!

So far I know that the Pathfinder is the name used in the North American countries, and the Protrek is used in the Asian continents.

With the release of the PAW2000T-7V (PATHFINDER), and the PRX2000T ( PROTREK), are there any differences between the two?

~After a bit of research, the pictures of the new PROTREK and the new PATHFINDER

looks stunning. So my last question is, which of the 2 appeals to your more??:think::think:

PROTREK

and the PATHFINDER

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Of those two, the Pathfinder appeals to me:

For three very important (to me, at least) reasons:

1. PAW2000T is much less expensive |>

2. PAW2000T can display both English (Feet, inHg) and metric (Metres, hPa) units |> - PRX2000 is metric only <|

3. PAW2000T can accomodate any "standard" 22mm strap/bracelet that will accept the screwbar/tube diameter without having to use adapters - this should be just about any leather or rubber strap, but probably not all metal bracelets unless they can accept "Fat" bars. |>

HTH

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
gaijin, that's a marvelous picture of the new pathfinder. i had crossed the model off my list after the first real-life photos left me bored. but it looks great in that light and with the nato. i know it is off topic, but i wish more casio's (imagine on a g!) had 'standard' lugs. here's a pic of a semi-retro of mine on a nice 2 piece zulu:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not sure if this is right, but the PRX2000T has sapphire crystal while the PAW2000T has mineral crystal. Is that correct?
How does that compare in thems of the "thoughness" of the watch? Meaning, does the PAW get really scratched on the crystal when used as a daily beater?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I am not sure if this is right, but the PRX2000T has sapphire crystal while the PAW2000T has mineral crystal. Is that correct?
How does that compare in thems of the "thoughness" of the watch? Meaning, does the PAW get really scratched on the crystal when used as a daily beater?

Thanks
The PRX is a Japanese release and for some reason they get them and we don't, also this one has DLC. Sapphire is more scratch resistant but will shatter easier while mineral is more shatter resistant than sapphire. being that the crystal is so flush on the 2000 I would opt for sapphire. Also most Japanese market watches are metric only so you need to check that out first if you need or want imperial measurements.

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks a lot for the information.
I am very new to this so i had no idea that mineral was more shatter resistant.
In regard to the metric only, it is a good point and a good consideration. How easy or not is it to change from one kind of unit to the other in the PAW?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
thanks a lot for the information.
I am very new to this so i had no idea that mineral was more shatter resistant.
In regard to the metric only, it is a good point and a good consideration. How easy or not is it to change from one kind of unit to the other in the PAW?
Just follow the manual. On my pag 40 I had to do it in all the screens. which could be a plus if for some reason you wanted some metric reading and some imperial. took me about 10 min total and I was not in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The PRX is a Japanese release and for some reason they get them and we don't, also this one has DLC. Sapphire is more scratch resistant but will shatter easier while mineral is more shatter resistant than sapphire. being that the crystal is so flush on the 2000 I would opt for sapphire. Also most Japanese market watches are metric only so you need to check that out first if you need or want imperial measurements.
Just some clarifications since I have the PRX... first it is a beautiful watch that at first seems unlikely to be the typical field watch. I have yet used it for that purpose, but after owning it about 4 months with regular wrist time, it still looks new. Some differentiations from the PRW/PAW-2000:

PRX has sapphire crystal with AR coating plus another protective anit-abrasion coating
Full Titanium case and bracelet - does NOT have DLC but the Ti does have anti-abrasion coating
If the watch is set to Tokyo for home timezone, all measuring units are metric, but for any other timezone you can choose imperial units

I do like the PRW/PAW-2000 a lot - but I love the PRX. :-!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Just some clarifications since I have the PRX... first it is a beautiful watch that at first seems unlikely to be the typical field watch. I have yet used it for that purpose, but after owning it about 4 months with regular wrist time, it still looks new. Some differentiations from the PRW/PAW-2000:

PRX has sapphire crystal with AR coating plus another protective anit-abrasion coating
Full Titanium case and bracelet - does NOT have DLC but the Ti does have anti-abrasion coating
If the watch is set to Tokyo for home timezone, all measuring units are metric, but for any other timezone you can choose imperial units

I wish I had the funds that would be mine :-! I did not know about the AR |>|> for some reason that is missing on to many watches. ( wish my Seiko Tuna had AR ) I have read 2 different things on the coating. one said carbon coating and the other said DLC :-s Does it say in the manual what it is :think: can you say how much it cost or PM me.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I wish I had the funds that would be mine :-! I did not know about the AR |>|> for some reason that is missing on to many watches. ( wish my Seiko Tuna had AR ) I have read 2 different things on the coating. one said carbon coating and the other said DLC :-s Does it say in the manual what it is :think: can you say how much it cost or PM me.
After a bit of searching, I found the scratch resistance is protected by Titanium Carbide, and as far as I can tell, it works! :-!

PM'd on the other question.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is the process for resetting it to your HOME time from Tokyo time to get imperial units difficult?
I'm contemplating buying one that will come from Japan so I assume I will have to reset it for New York time and Imperial Units.
Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.