WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I've been reading exchanges on this site for years, but have yet to purchase a mechanical. I'm finally leaning in the direction of the Conquest GMT (aka, "24-Hour") that came out some four years ago. Thing is, I'm torn between the silver, blue and black dials and would like some input on this from those who own or are otherwise familiar with these dials. I've scoured the internet for images, likely seen them all, but we all know the limits of even modern digital photography; alas, I live no closer than five driving hours from the nearest AD.

I fly airplanes for a living; this leans me toward the black dial, redolent as it is of the aviation variety and the quick-and-easy read of such dials. However, I've long had a really soft spot for electric blue dials (I own a quartz diver with such a dial), ever entertained by the play of light upon them. QUESTION: Is the Conquest blue dial what you'd consider "electric" blue, flashing as such dials do when the sun strikes them just so (I'm thinking the lovely sword-hand Seamaster of recent memory)? Or is it perhaps more sedate and (for me, anyway) prosaic (I'm thinking the old Rolex Air King)? [BTW, I know some watch enthusiasts consider electric blue chintzy; meh, I disagree.]

In any case, I understand that all three dials read well and easily, even under challenging conditions; anyone disagree?

From images I've seen, the silver dial seems to allow the red GMT hand to stand out more prominently than the other two dials, which I rather like. And silver dials seem less common to me. Might you concur?

Well, any firsthand experience with these dials is welcome… especially with regard to the appearance of the blue dial.

Many thanks,
JB

·
Registered
3 Posts
The blue dial version caught my eye years ago and I haven't forgotten. I'm afraid I've never seen it in person so unsure how the blue actually 'plays'...

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Old post and you've probably made your decision, but the blue Conquest GMT is gorgeous. It's definitely blue (possibly even electric?) and when the sun hits it, it will pop. If you're looking for blue, that's the one you want. The red hand stands out as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the silver dial. I have. Ot experienced any issues with readability. However, I think that if that's the primary concern that the blue dial would be more readable in more varied lighting conditions than the silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
I saw the blue dial in the flesh recently, and I was underwhelmed. Maybe it was the dim lighting, or the fact the Longines were relegated to a single glass display Case all lumped together at a high end dealer. It looked much better in pics than in real life.

I would get the black if possible.

FYI, also look in to the Orient Star
Seeker GMT as an option with similar styling and looks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts